UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Monster S2R 1000 mpg issues

Old 14-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #16
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I had same issue on my old m695.

It was fine then suddenly MPG dropped by 40%.
Temp sensor was showing fine in diagnostics so first fixes were do service, no change. Flash stock map no change, reset TPS no change eventually replaced the temp sensor with old one I had from ss1000ie that I knew worked. Cured the issue.

Funny enough m695 felt no different to ride during that period and did not smell of excess fuel as I think while it was running rich it was running a little rich everywhere as on choke rather then flooding at specific point.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2018, 09:24 AM   #17
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
I's assume to 'pass' for any ECU diagnostics check and probably at service the temperature sensor just has to give a value within a set range. It won't matter if the sensor thinks it's almost thermals or T's temperature, that its there and not open circuit is almost as important.
In any case the difference isn't going to be huge but the effect could be depending on the ECU mapping.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:55 PM   #18
ottoatom

Happy new year everyone!

So I got back from holiday and went straight away to put the bike on a dyno to see what's going on under the hood.

I am attaching the graphs here for you guys to have a look.

Dyno Run - Full arrow system w/o cat and w/ KN open airbox
Red -> no baffles
Blue -> w/ baffles

Dyno Run 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% - Full arrow system w/o cat and w/ KN open airbox - no baffles

Dyno Run 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% - Full arrow system w/o cat and w/ KN open airbox - with baffles

So the explanation I got for these graphs was that the ECU is set so that the fueling at low revs is very rich but gets leaner at higher revs. Because I ride mostly in the city, 75% of the time between 1500 and 4000 rpm, I tend to run mostly on a very rich mixture thus getting those 20mpgs.. I was advised to get a Power Commander to fix the fueling issues.

3 questions:

1) Do all the S2R1000 owners with full arrow exhaust systems and open air box have to buy a power commander not to get stupid fuel consumption? not talking about performance increase, just fuel consumption.

2) Do these graphs present conclusive evidence that the fueling setup in the ECU is the sole culprit for the mpgs Im getting?
Saint aka ML mentions replacing the temperature sensor fixed his bike's issue, that looked a lot like what's happening with mine. Is that option to be ruled out completely from what the graphs show?

3) 84HP on a S2R1000?.... wasnt it supposed to be closer to 95HP?

Thanks
Old 07-01-2019, 09:23 PM   #19
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

My 1000DS had open air box with a k&n filter, Sil Moto spaghetti headers, DP high level cans and a power commander and was custom mapped by Dave at DWR in Aylesbury, it made about 98bhp and about 71lbs of torque if memory serves (got the graphs somewhere) and in general mpg was mid 40’s but ride it hard and it got in the 20’s (epically good, should not have sold it...)

I’d get yours properly mapped

Last edited by Pedro; 09-01-2019 at 07:26 PM..
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 09:42 PM   #20
slob

My 1000DS usually gives me about 140 miles to the fuel light on the open road, 80 miles urban or about 60 miles on a trackday. This is with stock headers, Remus cans (baffles out) and open airbox with K&N
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:29 PM   #21
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
I ran my S2R with the same Arrow pipes as yours (baffles in) and an open airbox. Initially I ran it with the standard ECU but managed to get a race ECU. Most of my riding was below 5k rpm and I always got around 50 mpg.

I then fitted a PC III and had a custom map, which smoothed out the power right through the range.

This was the final dyno chart (note it also had a 1089 cc big bore kit so won't be directly comparable with yours).

I don't think your race ECU should be so rich - perhaps it's been 'tuned' already.

Avanti Race Parts might be able to read it and download the correct race map, if necessary. Or you could just get Neil at Cornerspeed to do a Rexxer reflash, which might be your best bet.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:52 PM   #22
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
Thats pegboys old bike i think
if i am right it was setup and custom mapped at BSD in peterborough back in 2012
https://bsd.uk.com/bike-brand-news/d...d-dyno-set-up/
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 12:10 AM   #23
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatronic View Post
Thats pegboys old bike i think
if i am right it was setup and custom mapped at BSD in peterborough back in 2012
https://bsd.uk.com/bike-brand-news/d...d-dyno-set-up/
I think you're right. Well spotted!

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=50883
Old 08-01-2019, 12:53 PM   #24
ottoatom

Yep that's the bike. I didn't buy it from him though, I got it from the person he sold it to.

Very good to read that link to BSD, happy to see how things went and the setup was successful. Surprised to see it was doing 94hp?.. Was it measured differently maybe? The bike is great to ride apart from the current stalling issues and bad mpgs.

Thanks Luddite for that dyno chart. It seems you have an AFR that runs above 13 everywhere but between 2500 and 3000 rpm. My bike runs between 12 and 13 at max power but between 10 and 12 at 25 to 75% power. Would that be responsible for the bike only getting 20mpgs? I guess that's the big question here..

I have the stock ECU map so I can reflash it to stock condition but with the arrows on and open airbox its probably going to mess things up even more. Is there a standard map i.e. non performance orientated for that combo that I can try out?
Old 08-01-2019, 01:32 PM   #25
Luddite

That low-speed fuelling certainly looks rich - whether it's enough to explain the 20 mpg, I don't know.

It does beg the question though of what's happened between BSD creating the custom map and your current problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoatom View Post
I have the stock ECU map so I can reflash it to stock condition but with the arrows on and open airbox its probably going to mess things up even more. Is there a standard map i.e. non performance orientated for that combo that I can try out?
Rexxer list two off-the-shelf maps, one for standard bikes/slip-on cans and one for a full system. I would think the full system version would suit your set up.

BSD seem to have an excellent reputation and I wouldn't have thought that they bike would have left them with the running issues you describe.

I'd contact BSD and explain the problems you're having. They may well still have their custom map stored and could check your current ECU against that. If it had changed, they should be able to reload that custom map. At the very least, they may have some ideas as to what's causing your poor economy.
Old 09-01-2019, 11:18 AM   #26
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
fwiw they were tuned for midrange - high performance, if you are mainly town riding then it could be why. But notable how down on power it is, that said its a good few years and miles later. & every dyno reads different!!

i mentioned this when i spoke to them today! The definitely do have the maps but they may not be in a very usable format as the have changed theECU reprogramming equipment they use. They might need to see your bike (or at least the ECU) for best result, give them a shout.

If you or someone you know is a little computer literate you can do some tests yourself with the free IAWDiag software and an ODBII to usb cable for about 20 quid

https://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

The s2r1000 Ducati performance maps for termi (open pipe open airbox) is there in the free library as a tuner pro dxf file .
you could try this your bike setup setup is very similar

with IAWdiag you can backup the BSD custom maps that are on your ECU now (for peace of mind at least ) then write the DP map, reset the TPS and see how you get on.

i also have the stock maps (with cat and oem exhausts These will need a lambda sensor installed on the bike to run) and also a stock map with lambda switched off,
i can email these to you if you need them

fwiw. the poor low speed running of these early euro 6 bikes with the closed loop fueling was one of the main reasons we paid to have them mapped!
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:01 PM   #27
slob

Ali... PM me your new email address (pls)
Hope you're well!
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 08:43 AM   #28
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
Ali, PM me your new email address too please
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote