UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Monster S2R 1000 mpg issues

Old 11-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #1
ottoatom

Monster S2R 1000 mpg issues

After many years of waiting to have the bike that got me into biking, I finally have it!

Love it.

I had the bike serviced last month and managed to sort out a few of the things going wrong with it but some still persist.

The main issue is the mpgs Im getting from it. With reasonable riding I get 60mi until the reserve light turns on and 70mi on a dry tank. that means roughly 20mpgs..

Not sure what's happening. The air filter has been cleaned, the ecu was flashed and tuned on a dyno when the arrow system was fitted (by the former owner), and I filled the tank with 14l of petrol when I ran out of petrol (twice....) so there's no pb with the fuel sender.

Apart from that, the bike runs great. Huge improvement over the FZ6 I had before this one :P

Thanks for any help!
O

Last edited by ottoatom; 11-12-2018 at 09:17 PM..
Old 11-12-2018, 09:54 PM   #2
adie851

Bike: S4r
There's something wrong there fella....Check you haven't got a fuel leak on your tank .....you should be getting around 45mpg.....unless you are riding it with the throttle to the stop all the time.....can you not smell petrol around the bike....needs a good looking at .....?

Cheers, adie851
adie851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:58 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Lovely looking machine! I had an S2R 1000 too with the same Arrow system and an open airbox. It ran with a Power Commander and custom map and never gave less then 50 m.p.g. so something must be amiss.

Does it smell rich? Do you have the dyno chart from when it was reflashed? If so, it should show the air/fuel ratio (AFR). You'd expect it to be between 12 - 14/1 but I'm sure the dyno tuner wouldn't have signed it off if the ratio was way off. It might be worth putting it back on a dyno to check what the current AFR is.

You say you've cleaned the air filter, so it can't be that.

Have a look a this post from MrsC_772 about a similar problem she had with her 696.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...4&postcount=23

It turned out to be a leak in one of the sensor hoses. I don't know how similar the plumbing is between the S2R and 696, but perhaps that could be your problem too.

Good luck in sorting it out and keep us informed.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:16 AM   #4
ottoatom

adie851 - Yes there's something wrong alright.. I dont think there's a fuel leak as I dont see a difference when I dont ride the bike for a few days, no petrol smell.

Luddite - That's a very good hint! I will definitely check this one. The only difference is that I dont feel the bike is running off, it really seems fine to me. I am not sure I know how to smell if its rich but its smells like any other exhaust fumes.

This is the graph from the dyno test, I dont think it shows what you mention.

I have noticed something that could be a reason why this is happening, I do not have a lambda sensor installed on the bike. Because of the arrow full system, the previous owner removed the lambda sensor..

Cheers,
O

Last edited by ottoatom; 12-12-2018 at 01:21 AM..
Old 12-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
Luddite

You're right, unfortunately the dyno chart doesn't show the AFR (it's usually a separate trace at the bottom of the chart under the Engine Speed scale).

The removal of the lambda sensor shouldn't be a problem - if the ECU has been properly reflashed, then the need for a sensor should have been eliminated at the same time. If your CEL hasn't lit up following the reflash, then you can assume that the sensor has been eliminated from the ECU. While it does run weaker with the sensor fitted, it only amounts to a couple of m.p.g. and wouldn't account for the huge increase you've experienced.

Hope you can sort it soon (and cheaply!).
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
If you don't have the Air/Fuel ration plot on the graph then plug colour is usually a good indicator if its running rich. I would expect them to be very black and sooty!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #7
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
If you don't have the Air/Fuel ration plot on the graph then plug colour is usually a good indicator if its running rich. I would expect them to be very black and sooty!
So would the tail pipe.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:09 PM   #8
ottoatom

The exhausts are dirty but not more than all the bikes I had before and the smell is normally.. err smelly :P From what I gather this has been happening for the last 4 years (with previous owners) so the pipes would be black by now I guess.

Im beginning to think that the bike is actually not running rich, if anything it is running lean as it has trouble starting in the morning and stalls at stop lights sometimes. The RPMs lower to 1200 as I stand still and then go back to 1500, sometimes it stalls.

Can it be a leak somewhere?
Old 12-12-2018, 08:46 PM   #9
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Let's assume that the re-flash is good and nothing has changed much.
The question is then what makes the ECU pump more fuel?

Air temperature sensor
Engine temperature sensor

If the engine temperature is showing then it is probably being seen by the ECU.
The air temperature sensor doesn't appear on the dash so may be out of range.

Next up would be the air pressure sensor as Mrs C has problems with.

The engine with faults in these would tend to be a bit erratic, tick-over probably up what it should be and as it's a bit too rich prone to stalling (just not too much fuel to drown the plugs). It is also going to drink fuel.
I'd be taking a look at these
Old 12-12-2018, 10:34 PM   #10
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I would second Nick's temperature sensor theory.

If the ECU is being sent the message that it's still cold outside it will effectively run it with the choke out.

My M900Sie has smelly black tail pipes, but burns no oil, has very pale brown/grey spark plugs and returns 68mpg.
She pulls like a Saturn V and runs super smooth at low revs so long as I change the plugs at Circa 6000 miles. They are past their best by then and she can falter a bit at very low revs and generally feel a bit off tune...Sometimes they go a bit past 6k.

Might also be an idea to consider having the injectors ultra-sound cleaned?
Old 13-12-2018, 06:12 AM   #11
rollo22

T P S Reset ?
Air Filter what state is it in
Just to chuck another ideas in to the pot.

Sounds like you need a visit to a man that knows his Ducatis to sort this out....
Old 13-12-2018, 07:59 AM   #12
Unit 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoatom View Post
From what I gather this has been happening for the last 4 years (with previous owners)
Just to clarify, the bike has recently been here for a service (Proteam) and no faults were found with diagnostics, the TPS was set where it should be and the idle CO was reduced from 7.5% to 4-4.5%.
The bike seemed to run well on the test ride.
As this has been happening to the previous owner for four years I'd suggest contacting them to see if the problem coincided with the reflash or any other work.

Regards, Al.
Old 13-12-2018, 08:04 AM   #13
Unit 18

It may be worth a trip to a dyno to see what is going on, these people know what they're doing.

http://www.hmracing.co.uk/
Old 13-12-2018, 05:52 PM   #14
slob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj
...If the engine temperature is showing then it is probably being seen by the ECU...
Unless I'm much mistaken, the oil temp is displayed on the dash from the sensor on the pre-filter screen cap, the ECU uses the sensor on the front inlet rocker cover
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2018, 06:57 PM   #15
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Yep I think that is right, its the same on the S4 the dash reads one figure (from the sensor on the front pot iirc) when the ecu uses the value from another sensor (on the rear pot) to offset and temperature correct the ecu map.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote