UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Clutch Cover removal, wet clutch

Old 03-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #16
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1000 View Post
I had trouble getting my clutch cover off........to the point I gave up.

what is the tool you use to get it off?

Cheers.
Sorry Ron, only just picked this up, but our club mates seem to have answered your question well already.

I haven't removed my clutch inner cover. As mentioned I masked and painted it in-situ.
Luddite has kindly as ever posted a picture of the puller for the alternator cover.

That sneaky screw hides in the chain goo behind the clutch slave (which must be removed).
You can see it in the picture lurking right beside the clutch pushrod. You have to thoroughly wash down with degreaser to find it.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:45 PM   #17
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
And just for laughs...

The masking is much easier with the swinging arm removed, but it's still pretty tight and fiddly.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:22 PM   #18
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Do you mean the clutch cover, Ron, (on the right) or the alternator cover (on the left, side-stand side)?

The clutch side should yield with judicious use of a soft hammer but you'd be better off on the alternator case using a puller like this

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/lase...-cover-puller/

As Darren said, watch out for the screw by the sprocket.

Nah defo clutch side, was going to replace the plates. Eventually gave up, cover wouldn’t budge. And no chance i was doing the old prize it with a screwdriver trick. Could maybe stick a small blade in and cut the sealing but even then I’d be uncomfortable.

Last edited by Ron1000; 03-12-2018 at 07:25 PM..
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 08:24 AM   #19
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Did you ever get round to refinishing the cover, Dacs ?

The reason I ask is that I've just done mine and I thought you might be interested in my choice of method.
I began by buying a second cover on ebay.
I paid £19.99 for one whose paint had already started to flake off.
I mounted this on a piece of 22mm ply to protect the joint face and give me something to grip in the vice, masked off the sight glass and bunged up the oil filler and pressure switch holes.
I then softened the remaining paint with acetone and scraped it back to bare metal with a sharp knife (in small patches).
I then abraded the whole surface using a large scotchbrite wheel for the main areas and a dremel for the nadgery bits, finishing off with emery by hand.
Then I applied VHT (brand) primer and topcoat, which I am currently in the process of curing by leaving it on the storage heater in the kitchen where it gets almost too hot to touch in daily cycles. ... its been there for 3 or 4 weeks up to now as the curing process seems to take a while before the paint fully hardens. ... it passes the thumbnail test now but didn't do so for a week or two at first.
Careful masking around the sight glass allowed me to leave it in situ. ... and the storage heater curing seems to have been effective.
Total cost, neglecting abrasives etc was about £30 and the bike will not need to be disabled for any longer than it takes to just swap the cases over ... which I'll leave 'til the spring. ... so it will get another few months curing.
I haven't yet decided whether to replace the yellow metal bush in the case or not. That and its associated seal may be another cost to be added on.

Hope that's of some use, one way or another.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 10:38 AM   #20
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
The bush and seal, seal the oil supply to the big ends and need to be in good condition to maintain pressure
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #21
dacs

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Did you ever get round to refinishing the cover, Dacs ?
Ah, no, I haven't dealt with it. I have bought the requisite cans of paint, having come to the conclusion that your approach listed here was probably the way to go. Now wondering whether to do the bush and seal at the same time, torn between the two camps of 'do it while you have access' and 'leave it alone if it's not broke'.
Might actually get round to it this winter (or not).
Old 25-11-2019, 06:07 PM   #22
ledheadlamp

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacs View Post
Hijacking my own thread I know, but I thought it was time to celebrate the teatray again. Bought this carbon one off the 'bay in July (I suspect someone on this forum will recognise it) which had been modified to fit an earlier 900, so it has been patched, new bolts fitted and mount fashioned for the rear light. Happy with the way it turned out, but it does make a mockery of my claim when I bought the bike that it would remain as it left the factory - they never do, do they?
Looks okay, it is close to impossible that it would remain as it left the factory unless they replace it with a new one. That is the sales catch.