UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » totally pissed off ,, regulator again

Old 01-12-2018, 08:54 AM   #1
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
totally pissed off ,, regulator again

Last decent Electrx world Regulator lasted 4 years the one before also 4 and the original 6 years all died due to alternator yellow wire shorts on connectors,,, replaced wiring with upgraded cables and Utopias special connectors ,, last regulator was a schiindengen original which mesures ok on Bench but is intermittant on the bike

alternator is fine ,, just fitted another RR not sure if its an original Shindengen or acpy it lasted 2 hours and then burst into FLAMES and the alternator side melted torally

where can I get a reliable Regulator preferably mosfet and dont say electrex world because I dont trust them anymore ...

strange thing is I have had a lot of ducatis but only this S4 has issues with regulators ,,

I have a spare alternator and battery is OK
Old 01-12-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
slob

I’d change the alternator then, you’ve eliminated the reg/rec (literally and repeatedly) so it would follow that something else is at fault.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Slob's suggestion seems misleading and confusing...Disturbing even? As do most of his posts since he stopped using an avatar!!

There is obviously something wrong elsewhere other than the Reg/Rec. This will be found in the wiring, or the alternator... Change both parts of the alternator and check all the Earth paths.
The Reg/wreck is being fed something it can't cope with.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:16 PM   #4
jerry
Old Git

have a spare new Alternator but it reads same as old one on the bench its gonna take weeks to get another RR thats not a fake here ,, The same Shindengen is used in several Kawasakis , Ducatis ,yamahas and triumphs but no main dealers keep any in stock its pathetic the showrooms are full of shiny new bikes but behind the scenes its always the same no spares stock except for Harley Davidson they h,ave excellent spares backup
Old 03-12-2018, 05:20 PM   #5
jerry
Old Git

put in my spare alternator today ,, waste of time same fault .. then i found the cause ,, damn white connector under tank to the battery carrying the output from regulator to battery 4 loose terminals so power coming out of Reg Regulator was intermittant engine revs and vibes , ,, cut off the connector replaced it with new one and hey presto solid charging using my old Yamaha r1 rr

but the chinky copy i was sold was a total waste of time
Old 03-12-2018, 05:40 PM   #6
slob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza
...misleading and confusing...Disturbing even? As do most of his posts since he stopped using an avatar!!...
hehehe... I see what you did there ;-)

Jerry: ‘on the bench’ and having a current induced in it whilst being splashed with oil at 100c are very different things
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:51 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
hehehe... I see what you did there ;-)
………...
Old 04-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #8
jerry
Old Git

Found another fault today also not helping the inline spade fuse from Regulator output was as loose as a spendaholic womans purse so as revs mounted the fuse flapped around ,, its not really needed , itwas part of a after marlket kit and poor quality, so I cut it off and did a nice splice hey presto all is now solid 14.3 volts at all revs ,, now confident all is sorted
Old 06-12-2018, 01:20 AM   #9
jerry
Old Git

OK so final analysis ,, My original yamaha regulator and original alternator were always OK as is spares ,, the problem was loose crap connectors under seat and fuse holder ,, the furukawa connectors were collaterl damage ,, the chinese regulator i was sold here in thailand was crap ,,and a liability it got hot very quick and burned out

now everything is solid again and i am confident ,,, moving the RR from under the seat to front left side of bike may not be pretty although its hardly noticable but it runs a lot cooler in a constant airstream ..

only bad thing is i hurt my eye when a bit of aluminium bounced off the cutting table as i made a heat sink ,, had to go hospital to get it checked out ,, painful but no permament damage .. I was wearing eye protection but the metal knocked them off