UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Saddlebags or Panniers for an m696? ('08)

Old 19-11-2018, 08:41 PM   #1
MikeTheBike

Saddlebags or Panniers for an m696? ('08)

I have searched for existing posts, but didn't see any that solved what I'm after... BUT, if I've missed an old thread... sorry!

I'm looking for saddlebags that'd fit a 15" macbook pro in (ideally without chopping my macbook half to put half in each side!).

I did of course consider backpacks, but I'm trying to avoid anything on my back if poss, rather have the weight over the back wheel.

Also:

- I'll don't very often carry a pillion, am okay with something that removes pillion options in a non-permanent way (couple of bolts etc is fine)

- I mention panniers, but I don't actually mind a top-box/bag, but prefer nothing that stands too tall

- Current wxhausts on the bike are stock

What do people think? Anyone use panniers to fit a similar size laptop in?

Cheers!
Old 19-11-2018, 09:29 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
There used to be some Ducati Performance semi-rigid panniers (96777308B). There are still some out there
http://www.ducati-performance.net/ep...B&Locale=en_GB but they might be too large/expensive for your purposes (see video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhxq6Z_ErAw

I've got the tail pack shown in the video. It's very handy but probably the wrong size/shape for a laptop.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
kriega us20 dry pack & a ‘kube’ laptop bag.

personally i’ve always preferred a rucksack for laptops, since it isolates the device from a lot of vibration
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 10:31 PM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I really like my Oxford throw-over Panniers.
They're great for quickly taking off and carrying anywhere with the handles... Which in turn is the disadvantage with them as anyone can do this if you park and leave them unattended! They're not lockable.
Old 20-11-2018, 12:47 PM   #5
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Panniers not so easy on a 696, which has high level silencers
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #6
MikeTheBike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
There used to be some Ducati Performance semi-rigid panniers (96777308B). There are still some out there
http://www.ducati-performance.net/ep...B&Locale=en_GB but they might be too large/expensive for your purposes (see video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uhxq6Z_ErAw

I've got the tail pack shown in the video. It's very handy but probably the wrong size/shape for a laptop.
Hmmm thanks - I'm annoying and could do with something that sticks out less (for easier filtering on m/ways & in traffic), but fits a laptop. Maybe I'd be better with a tail pack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
kriega us20 dry pack & a ‘kube’ laptop bag.

personally i’ve always preferred a rucksack for laptops, since it isolates the device from a lot of vibration
Yer... I just don't like things on my back. I mean, I don't INTEND to go sliding down the road, but if I do, I'd rather not have anything to snag. Maybe I'm just paranoid though!

Laptop has SSD drive only, so vibrations not as much as an issue for me as when I had a laptop with a HDD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I really like my Oxford throw-over Panniers.
They're great for quickly taking off and carrying anywhere with the handles... Which in turn is the disadvantage with them as anyone can do this if you park and leave them unattended! They're not lockable.
That's the sort of thing I was thinking about, but somehow lockable ones. Though I guess fabric ones, all folks would need is a craft knife to steal stuff from them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
Panniers not so easy on a 696, which has high level silencers
Yer, I wondered if that'd be an issue... Wonder if custom exhaust would help? Though then we're getting expensive lol