UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Keihin 41mm carbs

Old 09-11-2018, 11:18 AM   #1
Goofle

Bike: M900
Keihin 41mm carbs

Hi all,

Having spent this summer doing a few miles on my M900 I'm still drawn towards a set of flat sides. I know they're slightly (well, very!) impractical, expensive and basically silly, but so be it.
Are eBay item 183425282198 the correct items?
I'm hoping to move house soon and will be getting a shed to work in - as opposed to my current overful garage, and would fit them at the same time as sorting out a few other things on the bike. (Oil leak from the alternator cover, a few blown bulbs, belts, that kind of thing.)
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:45 AM   #2
Goofle

Just messaged the seller, received an immediate response. They will fit with the bits needed which he'll supply. Mmmm, tempting!
Old 09-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #3
Darkness

Don’t forget to price in the Import Duty, VAT and handling charge when working out cost!
Old 09-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
Goofle

I've just put an offer in but it's been refused...
Old 11-11-2018, 12:58 PM   #5
Dukedesmo

You can get them for around the same price from EU so no tax/duty. Or you 'may' be able to find a US supplier that will ship them at a lower declared value to avoid said taxes, although I couldn't possibly condone that sort of behaviour...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #6
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
You can get them for around the same price from EU so no tax/duty. Or you 'may' be able to find a US supplier that will ship them at a lower declared value to avoid said taxes, although I couldn't possibly condone that sort of behaviour...
And can be problematic if lost in transit and you have to make a claim...
Old 11-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #7
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
You could try getting in touch with "Exige" on the "other" forum.
He's an agent for Chris Kelley / Exactfit belts and will probably be able to supply the Keihins, although I have no idea if the price would be favourable.
One possible advantage of getting them from Chris Kelley is that he will check that the jetting etc is good for a base setting for your application.

I have some FCR39s waiting to go on my 750.
Tbh my main reason for getting them was that I am reliably informed that they are immune from the carb icing that the std diaphragm carbs suffer from as soon as the autumn weather sets in.
I probably wouldn't have bothered getting them were it not for the fact that I do ride the monster in all weathers and throughout the year ... road salt permitting.
I wasn't massively concerned with any performance gain .. though I will probably enjoy that too.
Actually, its more about weight saving and simplicity than engine performance tbh, cos I plan to fit them in conjunction with a single-can exhaust (followed by a dyno set up for the whole caboodle).

I was lucky enough to get the last set on ebay before the post-referendum price rise.
I won't tell you how much I got them for .. it would only make you miserable.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2018, 10:22 PM   #8
Goofle

Final bid submitted. Here goes!
Old 06-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #9
Goofle

That order didn't work out, however I've just had an offer accepted for a second hand set, also from the USA. Am I right in thinking these won't have import tax added?
I'm wanting to get them and then get them on. Shame my live is upside down moving...
Old 06-12-2018, 09:42 PM   #10
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle View Post
....... Am I right in thinking these won't have import tax added? ...
Nope, not unless the seller declares they are a gift of low value?

The taxes and duties (And collection fee) are based on value, not on it being new.
Old 25-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #11
Goofle

Carbs here - complete with large bill for import tax! Oooops!
Once the house move is finished I’ll be disappearing into the garage!
Old 13-01-2019, 03:13 PM   #12
Goofle

Why is there a fuel tap in the line? The standard carbs didn’t need one! This may be an obvious question, if so, sorry!
Old 17-04-2019, 07:41 PM   #13
Goofle

Sorry for bumping this thread but does anyone have any idea if the fuel tap is necessary? It's mounted in the front of the air box so would be accessible easily but do flat slides need the fuel isolating when not in use?
Spannering starts tomorrow, not yet in a purpose built shed (mores the pity!!) but in the conservatory.
Old 17-04-2019, 11:19 PM   #14
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Well, as I said earlier I can only speak as one who intends to fit FCRs soon(ish) but have no personal experience yet.
However, I have heard the odd tale or two of monsters fitted with FCRs flooding their crankcases with fuel when left standing.
I have no details of the particular installations concerned regarding fuel taps or anything else.
But I do have the issue flagged up for investigation when I fit mine.

I guess it could be down to something like ... the carbs are so high on a monster that there is very little pressure head acting on the floatbowls and hence the float valves may be more prone to leaking ....?
Though why FCRs should be more susceptible than the std carbs I can't imagine.

In the light of the above, which is a fairly well reported issue, I suspect that the manual fuel tap might be there to guard against the possibility.

Sorry if that's all a bit wishy-washy but my intention is merely to suggest that its an issue that I think needs considering.

When you say the std carbs didn't need a tap, do you mean they had a non-manual, vacuum tap, rather than a manual one ?
As does my yr2000 M750.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 06:51 AM   #15
Goofle

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Well, as I said earlier I can only speak as one who intends to fit FCRs soon(ish) but have no personal experience yet.
However, I have heard the odd tale or two of monsters fitted with FCRs flooding their crankcases with fuel when left standing.
I have no details of the particular installations concerned regarding fuel taps or anything else.
But I do have the issue flagged up for investigation when I fit mine.

I guess it could be down to something like ... the carbs are so high on a monster that there is very little pressure head acting on the floatbowls and hence the float valves may be more prone to leaking ....?
Though why FCRs should be more susceptible than the std carbs I can't imagine.

In the light of the above, which is a fairly well reported issue, I suspect that the manual fuel tap might be there to guard against the possibility.

Sorry if that's all a bit wishy-washy but my intention is merely to suggest that its an issue that I think needs considering.

When you say the std carbs didn't need a tap, do you mean they had a non-manual, vacuum tap, rather than a manual one ?
As does my yr2000 M750.
That's great, thanks. That's more than enough reason for me to install said tap!
And yes, I believe the standard carbs will be fed through a vacuum tap, which will it appears be bypassed with the FCRs.
Thanks again!