UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Info on M750's

Old 18-09-2018, 08:54 PM   #1
wheatley473

Info on M750's

I've just had a call from a chap I work with who knows of an M750 that might be for sale.

I know nothing about them... what are they like? What should I be aware of with them?

Its a 2000 bike I believe

Nick
Old 18-09-2018, 09:32 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
I think utopia is your man if you want to know all about M750s. If he doesn't spot this thread in time, drop him a PM - I'm sure he'll be happy to tell you all you need to know about the model.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 06:11 AM   #3
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Some say one of the best monster engines. Much more torque then 750 but more user friendly.

2000 bike can be carb or injected. Can be dark version so one disk/calliper or other (2x disc/calliper).

I loved mine.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 07:19 AM   #4
Billbo

Just bought one. Engine is rough as.....till fully warmed up after a good few miles but after that quite satisfying. Think of an SV650 with less refinement and slightly less power but lots of character and a fair bit more kudos.
Old 19-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #5
jerry
Old Git

I have a 2000 M750 and its a wonderful bike ,, I have 3 other ducatis Incuding an S4 and 750SS to ride but the M750 is the favourite , have toured on it scratched on it it is areally balanced allrounder I doubt if i would ever sell it and I have had it for 15 years
Old 19-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #6
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Well, I don't want to bull them up too much because these things always depend a lot on personal preference, but I've had a 2000 M750 for a dozen years or so and I love it to bits.
As 750s go, the 2000 model is probably the best carbed model as it has all of the upgrades made over the years. It may have the double disc front end too.
Ok, they don't have great gobs of arm-stretching power and although they will cope with it moderately well, like most naked bikes they aren't really built for long, high speed runs down the autobahn. They do however, have more than enough power and torque to be an absolute joy on the sort of roads that most bikers favour and I still don't lust after more power, even after 12 yrs.
But lets start with the downsides ...
Like all carbed monsters, it will ice its carbs in the cool, damp weather from late autumn to early spring. Dosing the fuel with pro.fst cures it, but its a pain having to anticipate the need and I get caught out every year. Most of the time its not an issue and unless you ride all year you'd probably never notice. Flat slide (non diasphragm) carbs are the ultimate cure (mine await fitting this winter). The later, injection models avoid the problem altogether.
Forks are non adjustable Showas and, again like most monsters, they are a little harsh over a bumpy road.
Those are about my only complaints.
The clutch is wet, so you don't get the traditional Ducati dry clutch rattle .. but on the other hand you do get a long lasting, trouble free clutch (as long as its had the correct oil in the past). Its also a little heavy at the lever but an aftermarket slave cylinder sorts that easily.
Its one of the lightest monsters and therefore makes a great bike for the twisties. Mine has lost a further 20 kilos or so now and it is as flickable as my old 2-stroke yamaha.
Basically, its a brilliant all-rounder, and will cope with anything from solo scratching to two-up touring .. and bring a smile to your face every time.
The engine is quite revvy and this can leave it screaming a little when trying to keep up on a fast motorway. The later injection models have a 6 speed box so probably suffer less from this. I've geared mine up a little to compensate.
Like all aircooled 2-valve monsters, the layout and design makes diy maintenance fairly simple. Its probably the nicest, easiest bike to work on that I've ever owned .. which bodes well if its a keeper. Mine has never seen a dealer's workshop since its first service. This contrasts with later monsters which are apparently much more fiddly to spanner.
The monster headlight isn't much good but Mr Gazza will sell you an adaptor (for a mere tenner) which enables the fitting of a range of aftermarket upgrades.

Pricewise, they dropped down as low as about £1500 a couple of years ago but now seem to be on the rise and are fetching around the £2k mark for a decent one.
I paid £2600, 12 years ago, so that's very cheap biking.

Oh and I could mention that I wrote a love song to mine.

In short, it depends a bit on your personal preferences but in my opinion the M750 is the best bike ever built.

If you have any further questions, just ask.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 05:40 PM   #7
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
I loved my old blue 750.

Clutch master cylinders can get dirty inside if not maintained resulting in it letting itself off (cue lots of lurching forward when stopped) and if you're replacing the clutch hose, there are 2 different lengths for m750 so make sure you get the right one.

Loud cans, dyno jet stage 2, big hole in top of the airbox lid and a K&N perk it up no end. Single front disk with decent braided hoses and pads could get the front tyre to squeal (and less unsprung weight that a twin disk set up)

Mine had hyper pro fork springs, a rebuilt rear shock and Michelin Pilot pures and it was great - I could get it to wheelie while cranked over giving it some beans on a small hump backed bridge I used to frequent. Happy days (but I wouldn't swap my S2r for one)

Last edited by Blah blah; 19-09-2018 at 05:43 PM..
Blah blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 08:50 PM   #8
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah blah View Post
I loved my old blue 750.

Clutch master cylinders can get dirty inside if not maintained resulting in it letting itself off (cue lots of lurching forward when stopped) and if you're replacing the clutch hose, there are 2 different lengths for m750 so make sure you get the right one.

Loud cans, dyno jet stage 2, big hole in top of the airbox lid and a K&N perk it up no end. Single front disk with decent braided hoses and pads could get the front tyre to squeal (and less unsprung weight that a twin disk set up)

Mine had hyper pro fork springs, a rebuilt rear shock and Michelin Pilot pures and it was great - I could get it to wheelie while cranked over giving it some beans on a small hump backed bridge I used to frequent. Happy days (but I wouldn't swap my S2r for one)

Carb icing is a problem with the 750 and 900 carb bikes, its annoying and spoils an otherwise great all round bike. Now I have had a few inj Ducati I wouldn't go back to a carb one. And the S2 is a cracking bike too.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2018, 09:55 PM   #9
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
I never had a problem with icing, super unleaded and a damn good thrashing seemed to keep it clear... it did have all of the carb warming pipework though (unused in my ownership) which might of helped a bit.

Bit sad, I've just checked DVLA website and it's been un-MoT'd since April, 3000 miles in the year after I sold it, then only 1000 more since 2012...
Old 20-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #10
jerry
Old Git

I have never had carb icing on my M750 but I have ha d it on the older 750ss
Old 20-09-2018, 11:06 AM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I have to say it was far worse on the 900ss I had than the 750ss, Pro FST and oil cooler blanking helped the 750, never did manage to sort the 900 completely despite doing the same and even going so far as later float bowls and fitting oil lines to the float bowls.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote