UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » 696 Tail tidy + pillion grab rails

Old 06-01-2017, 10:09 AM   #1
Uncle Bob

Bike: M1100evo
696 Tail tidy + pillion grab rails

Morning all,

I'm looking at getting a tail tidy for the 696, but I've got the Ducati pillion grab rails fitted and I've read a few posts on the interweb suggesting that the units from Ducati, R&G and Evotech won't fit properly.

Does anyone on here have a 696 with a similar setup, or can confirm what will fit, or not fit?

The other part of the puzzle is that I'm possibly getting some carbon Termis, but I'm assuming they won't interfere with any of it.

Thanks in advance.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 11:32 AM   #2
Luddite

Hi Bob

Evotech stuff is top quality and I've never had any fitting issues with their products. Their customer service is second to none too; they've sent me spare bolts and washers free of charge in the past.

Having said that, I went for the Ducati tail tidy, (96798111B, which also fits your 696), as it comes with a replacement undertray for that full factory look.

I fitted it myself with no problems. In the pictures it's paired with the DP led indicators.

Enjoy personalising your Monster. Be warned though, the process never ends!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #3
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
...it comes with a replacement undertray for that full factory look...
What does this look like?
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #4
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Morning all,

I'm looking at getting a tail tidy for the 696, but I've got the Ducati pillion grab rails fitted and I've read a few posts on the interweb suggesting that the units from Ducati, R&G and Evotech won't fit properly.

Does anyone on here have a 696 with a similar setup, or can confirm what will fit, or not fit?

The other part of the puzzle is that I'm possibly getting some carbon Termis, but I'm assuming they won't interfere with any of it.

Thanks in advance.
Assuming the 696 has the same rear-end as the 1100 Evo (I think it has), if you fit the Evotech tail tidy & follow the fitting instructions to the letter, the top of the rear indicators foul the pillion grab rails. From memory, this is because the instructions say to remove the flexible rubber mounts from the indicators which makes them shorter & they foul the grab rails. I ended up re-fitting the rubber mounts & this way they clear the grab rails (but only just). If you pm your email address I will try to take some pictures to illustrate. I don't know if the R & G TT creates the same problem.
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:53 PM   #5
Uncle Bob

Thanks for the responses guys.

As per bigredduke's post, I'm more concerned about the actual fitment with the grab rails rather than the quality of the product (because I've heard that Evotech's stuff is excellent and I've used R&G stuff a few times before).

I don't want the indicators to be an obstacle, or for wifey to rip one off in a 'panic grab' lol
Old 06-01-2017, 05:45 PM   #6
holty

Bike: M1100
After a ponder I ended up with the Ducati tail tidy. However to make it work correctly you need to fit the LED indicators and get a smaller number plate (the number plate was easy for me because mine only has 5 digits)
I would imagen that the passenger handles should still work because they bolt to the seat unit sub frame.
All this stile does mean that you get road spray up your back but hay ho.
holty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:32 PM   #7
Luddite

Hi Bob

The undertray is the black plastic bit you can see on the left of the top photo. It moves the original seat lock forward and you can see the revised position in the second photo.

I see you've fitted the Ducati grab rails so you'll be interested to see this photo I found on the web, which shows that the tail tidy can be fitted with the grab rails...

Quote:
Originally Posted by holty View Post
After a ponder I ended up with the Ducati tail tidy. However to make it work correctly you need to fit the LED indicators and get a smaller number plate
I never had a problem with the number plate because of the Evo's low exhaust but I can see that it might be an issue with your high-level cans.

As far as the indicators are concerned, I've only used it with the led ones fitted but, as the kit comes with both spacers for the original indicators and bushes for the led ones, I'd be surprised if the originals didn't fit. Certainly, the installation instructions show the tidy with both standard and led indicators attached.

In fact, here's a picture of the tail tidy fitted to a 696 with standard indicators.

Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 08:33 PM   #8
uksurfer
Its all grey now

Bike: M1200s
I'm just taking a evotech tail tidy off, feel free to borrow it if you want to see if it fits
Old 06-01-2017, 09:03 PM   #9
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
The Evotech tailtidy does not fit with the Ducati passenger grab rails, fortunately the R&G one does.

http://www.rg-racing.com/browsetype/..._696/LP0097BK/

Last edited by chris.p; 06-01-2017 at 09:10 PM..
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:31 AM   #10
holty

Bike: M1100
Sorry any confusion. As you rightly say both types of indicators can be used. In my opinun the standard ones look out of place with the tail tidy.The standard UK size number plate will not fit between the 696 high level standard cans. If you have termis or simular, it may not be a problem. It's just something to consider.
holty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 12:00 PM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
You might be able to use a 7x5 plate, which is what I've used for many years on all my bikes. I don't know if that will fit in your case, but providing the letters are regulation size, it shouldn't be a problem.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 04:05 PM   #12
Cobra88

That's odd

I have the evotec tail tidy and the grabrails and no issues
Old 07-01-2017, 04:25 PM   #13
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra88 View Post
That's odd

I have the evotec tail tidy and the grabrails and no issues

It's the indicators that will not fit, do you have aftermarket indicators on??

The R&G ones allow you to keep your original indicators.
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:30 AM   #14
Cobra88

Yep I have the DP led jobbies so that's why it fits
Old 09-01-2017, 11:55 AM   #15
Uncle Bob

Thanks guys. R&G list the product and state that it will fit with the Ducati grab rails, and I'm assuming (but I'll check with them) that the Ducati part works as well. I'd kind of like to keep it all Ducati really, even if it means sticking some DP LED indicators on it too.

Seems that this combo isn't very common on a 696...