UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Slow Monster rebuild

Old 04-01-2017, 06:59 PM   #61
AshM750

I have the Hyperpro rear and Maxton front. All I can say though is the Hyperpro is very good quality for price. can you not get the original shock serviced/upgraded? I have a spare old shock here that's only done 6000mls, reasonable condition if you could do it cheaper that way??? Just a suggestion.

Last edited by AshM750; 04-01-2017 at 07:02 PM..
Old 04-01-2017, 07:23 PM   #62
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
If I hadn't have got my Ohlins ex Desmodue 1 race season (so nearly new) stupidly cheap off ebay then I would have probably gone for the Nitron personally since their customer service seems to be really good based on Flips experiences with his, so unless he is a major shareholder in the company and getting preferential treatment. I would look at what they can do for you.

Ohlins shocks as good as they are, seem to be built to be rebuilt as much as their forks would seem to be. After 12 months use the remote pre-load adjuster on mine now would appear to need new seals/bleeding. Good job I don't need to use it 'cos it don't work!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 08:03 PM   #63
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
I would have probably gone for the Nitron personally since their customer service seems to be really good based on Flips experiences with his, so unless he is a major shareholder in the company and getting preferential treatment. I would look at what they can do for you.
No definitely not a share holder although the amount I have recommended them I think I should get some kind of commission!!

Before getting it serviced I spoke to them about the apparent damage to the shock top (the part that has the 'Nitron' label in photos) which was not visible when fitted due to the fulcrum part of the linkage. Although it didn't make any rubbing sounds when pushing or moving the bike about it was obviously making enough contact to mark it with my weight on the bike (although the fulcrum had barely a mark on it oddly).

They hadn't heard of any previous issues and so advised me that due to the modular design of their shocks just that part could be replaced during the service for around £25 which I thought was reasonable enough.

However, as soon as they received the shock from me (I took the original spring off to save postage as I decided to buy a new slightly heavier one anyway as I'd put on a few pounds over the years) they phoned me to say that my shock was one of the first designs for the Monster and had since been updated to prevent the contact from happening and therefore the part would be replaced free of charge.

Seriously, how often do you get that kind of customer service for an item over ten years old at the time??
Old 10-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #64
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Back in the garage again, below are pictures of the spray "booth"i that I spent the last couple of days bodging together. I bought some 1000 gauge polythene off flea bay (£30) and cut it into 4 curtains, ceiling to floor with 3" turn ups on either end made with an office stapler. At the top I put 8mm brass eyelets about every 4" (£7 with the hole punch crimping tool off fleabay) and at the bottom I weighted the turn up with old 10mm nuts so that it would hang vertically. The curtain rail was fabricated from galvanised steel tube 3/4" x 22swg which was originally a frame that held up netting over some raspberry plants. The first year after we moved in it snowed heavily and the frame collapsed so the tube was saved for a rainy day, now upon us. The attachment to the rafters of the garage as by blocks of 2" x 2" timber bored 3/4 " and cut through the middle of the bore hole to form a clamp which was completed by 6mm coach bolts and wing nuts. The drop from the rafters had to accommodate existing electrical conduit runs and conduit enclosing my air main which goes all around the garage. The curtain "rings" are zip ties. The design means the curtains can be stowed using tarpaulin bungee toggles. It takes about 20 minutes to erect it as the clamps have to be undone to allow the curtain zip ties to pass. The booth is 8ft x 10ft which should be big enough to get all around a M900 frame when I come to paint that.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #65
350TSS

upload image online
host image
upload a gif
Old 10-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #66
350TSS

I also put together the old convector heaters onto an old cupboard door, these will sit on the floor underneath the spray paint table
img
Old 10-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #67
350TSS

Still work in progress is the spray booth hood. This was manufactured from the remains of the chassis of a dishwasher that I took apart when it leaked all over the kitchen floor thinking it was a simple matter of a perished hose. It turned out the stainless steel casing had split so the dishwasher was scrapped but the 24swg side panels and the angle chassis looked as though they might come in handy one day. These panels had to be cut and bent to form approximate squares the top joining piece of aluminium was bent on my folder and pop riveted. The angle was used to stiffen the structure on the hypotenuse. Unfortunately I have run out of large enough offcuts of 9mm ply to fill in the other end.
I have yet to work out 1) how to exhaust the fumes from the hood out of the garage and 2) how to hang it from the ceiling so that it can be raised or lowered and 3) where to hang it so that it does not mask all the lighting in the booth part of the garage.
img host
image hosting over 5mb
Old 10-01-2017, 01:36 PM   #68
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Great uncle Bulgaria would've been proud.

You'd enjoy my "shed".
A 5-sided, brick building ... each brick is recycled, as is just about everything else bar the roof covering.
Named "Utopia" by my mate as it is the best in a long line of previous sheds, and hence my forum name.

I'm guessing that some flexi hose left over from your tumble drier installation is going to feature for the hood.
And maybe a washing-line pulley or two.

I have a paddock stand that used to be my mates late mother's zimmerframe.
Has wheels with flashing leds when they spin (ex "streetgliders" @ £1 from the charity shop).

Overground, underground .....
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:11 PM   #69
350TSS

Hood now complete, with extraction system via an old Dyson vacuum cleaner which had broken plastic issues. I put an old halogen security light leftover from house rebuild inside the hood to provide light and heat to help with the curing of the resin.
images hosting
Old 01-02-2017, 03:07 PM   #70
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Are you by any chance related to Heath Robinson

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 05:25 PM   #71
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Anyone for snooker ?
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:04 PM   #72
Dookbob

I,m completely worn out from just reading this lot, bloody hell mate you are certainly going for it big time.
How do you find the time to keep up with the posting on here, but dont stop, I,m hooked on what you will get up to next.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:24 AM   #73
350TSS

Retired is the simple answer
Old 07-03-2017, 11:10 AM   #74
350TSS

Some progress this week. The starter motor cable was completely corroded on, the nut holding the cable was almost unrecognisable as a nut. I think the boot acts as a reservoir for salt water and dissimilar metals does the rest.

I will make up a heavy duty replacement with a new boot when it goes back and fill the boot with water pump grease.

imgurl
Old 07-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #75
350TSS

The nut was dremelled off with only slight damage to one thread. The armature casing then cleaned up and rubbed down.

upload an image