UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Another m900 Rebuild gets started

Old 16-11-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
Darkness

Bike: M900
Question Another m900 Rebuild gets started

Hi all: I've talked about rebuilding my '93 m900 for long enough, so it's finally begun.

Starting with the back end, I'm taking bits off to check and clean them.

They'll go back on the frame after I've decided whether I can get a decent match for the frame paint [Any joy yet Albie?].

There isn't a show in Koln in 2017, they are every two years, so I'm not sure how best to celebrate 25 years of the Ducati Monster?

This one was first registered in Norfolk in June '93, so it shall be twenty five in 2018.

Last edited by Darkness; 13-07-2017 at 11:15 PM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 06:07 PM   #2
Nottsbiker

Looks good mate I'll follow this with interest as I'm doing mine after Christmas

Just got to find some where near me to build the thing though as I've got no garage but want to keep it local. ..
Old 16-11-2016, 06:26 PM   #3
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Ref the frame colour, speak to Trestan Finishing in Woolsten, Southampton. I'm lead to believe they have a good match
Old 16-11-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
Moco1961

Ahhhh...... So that's what the wheelie bins are for !
Old 17-11-2016, 12:29 AM   #5
SteveG

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I am looking forward to this thread... I am going to learn stuff here I feel.

And of course.. great first shot. Wheelie bins are synonymous with Monster ownership...

Will follow with interest. Good luck!
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 07:57 PM   #6
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Hi all: I've talked about rebuilding my '93 m900 for long enough, so it's finally begun.

Starting with the back end, I'm taking bits off to check and clean them.

They'll go back on the frame after I've decided whether I can get a decent match for the frame paint [Any joy yet Albie?].

There isn't a show in Koln in 2017, they are every two years, so I'm not sure how best to celebrate 25 years of the Ducati Monster?

This one was first registered in Norfolk in June '93, so it shall be twenty five in 2018.
No not as yet. That almost looks silver. Is that other hoop the same colour as the frame. Looks quite a job you have there. I hope you don't have the issues Spacemonkey had with engine bolts. See you have an analogue Gear Position Indicator
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #7
Stephenniall

I've got a frame hoop I'm having matched by one of the best in the northwest next week, so will do some spray out cards, would be more than happy to send some out to see if it's a good match for you
Old 19-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #8
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephenniall View Post
I've got a frame hoop I'm having matched by one of the best in the northwest next week, so will do some spray out cards, would be more than happy to send some out to see if it's a good match for you
What are you intending to paint? I've got a '94 rear suspension hoop off my other monster, but my local paint guys want a 4" square sample to scan. I don't think there's a flat surface that big on the whole frame.

I shall be very interested in your progress as I shall stick with the original frame paint (With its patina of rust, and oil and battery stains) rather than losing the original colour.

Thanks

Mark
Old 19-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #9
Stephenniall

Quote:
What are you intending to paint? I've got a '94 rear suspension hoop off my other monster, but my local paint guys want a 4" square sample to scan. I don't think there's a flat surface that big on the whole frame.

I shall be very interested in your progress as I shall stick with the original frame paint (With its patina of rust, and oil and battery stains) rather than losing the original colour.

Thanks

Mark
I've had the frame of my monster blasted and I'm going to paint that, I'm a paint sprayer by trade so colour matching isn't an issue. The guys in your local paint shop probably wanted a sample that big so they could use a spectro (colour matching camera) on it. One of the suppliers I use should be able to match it by eye, I'm only using him to match it as I want it in solvent based paint, and we only use waterborne paint where I work. If he can't match it I'll match it myself and just paint it in waterborne.
Old 20-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #10
Flip

Quote:
I'm going to enjoy this thread rather a lot as I've been giving my '97 900 a bit of a gentle refresh over the last couple of years without taking it off the road for too long at a time. I am also pleased to hear you intend keeping the original paint if a convincing match can't be obtained.

Quote:
I've had the frame of my monster blasted and I'm going to paint that, I'm a paint sprayer by trade so colour matching isn't an issue. The guys in your local paint shop probably wanted a sample that big so they could use a spectro (colour matching camera) on it. One of the suppliers I use should be able to match it by eye, I'm only using him to match it as I want it in solvent based paint, and we only use waterborne paint where I work. If he can't match it I'll match it myself and just paint it in waterborne.
Well if you can match it to the original colour and satin/matt finish I think you will be a very busy man indeed as no body else can seem to.

I look forward to the results and seeing the pictures.

My local paint shop said (very honestly of them) that they couldn't even match the wheel colour and finish on my 900.

I think it all goes back to the 'Cagiva' effect on the early bikes.
Old 20-11-2016, 07:10 PM   #11
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
I would appreciate one for sure.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:32 PM   #12
Darkness

Very slow progress, but I have taken the wheels and footrest hangers to Griff's in Bristol for blasting and powder coating.

Still haven't decided about the frame though as I haven't seen a good colour match yet?

I have also now removed the exhaust, rear shock and swingarm for cleaning up, checking threads and bearings etc. then putting to one side for the rebuild.

The exhaust junction looks a little unusual: different from on my '94 Monster. I'm wondering if this is original. or whether it has been "improved" at some time over its first twenty one years?

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Darkness; 13-07-2017 at 06:29 AM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:44 PM   #13
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Looks like someone has taken a very nicely made 2 into 2 system and welded in some chopped up cruciform pieces to connect them?
Old 06-03-2017, 09:03 PM   #14
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Very slow progress, but I have taken the wheels and footrest hangers to Griff's in Bristol for blasting and powder coating.

Still haven't decided about the frame though as I haven't seen a good colour match yet?

I have also now removed the exhaust, rear shock and swingarm for cleaning up, checking threads and bearings etc. then putting to one side for the rebuild.

The exhaust junction looks a little unusual: different from on my '94 Monster. I'm wondering if this is original. or whether it has been "improved" at some time over its first twenty one years?
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

Any thoughts?
Has someone just dremelled through to stop water from ponding in there even if it gets boiled away if hot.

Last edited by Albie; 06-03-2017 at 09:06 PM..
Old 06-03-2017, 09:17 PM   #15
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Here is my two systems I have

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: