UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » monster 1100s , ?

Old 17-01-2019, 03:48 PM   #1
vince53

Bike: M1100s
monster 1100s , ?

hi guys , been out a few times now ,I was wondering if anyone feels a bit ackey with the wrist's ,might be because its not great conditions so not really moving like I would normally , all standard on the bars and clamps at the moment , don't want to change stuff about if its going to be fine once conditions get better and start pulling some more speed and connecting the bends together * ) just wondered if any one else has done anything ? thanks in advance vince .
vince53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 04:42 PM   #2
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
A fairly cheap mod is to buy set of bar risers 10mm can make all the difference and pretty simple to do.
Old 17-01-2019, 05:11 PM   #3
stopintime

Bike: S2r
The actual reason for this very common issue is a MX-type sweep-/pull back angle (not enough of it). If not modified, we have to choose between:
1. loose and comfortable grip, but with very little control
2. proper grip with raised shoulders - ok for the wrists, but painful for the shoulders
3. proper grip with relaxed shoulders which results in painful wrists.

The pain decribed here occurs even faster if we're tense.

Other bars or raised clip ons! Great result!
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 07:09 PM   #4
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Pop into your local Ducati dealer and get a set of bar risers for the 1100 Evo, they are approx 15mm higher. I did the opposite and put the 1100s lower risers on my Evo, prefer the lower front end as last bike was 748R. (Also takes the weight off my back with lower risers)
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 07:45 PM   #5
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by vince53 View Post
hi guys , been out a few times now ,I was wondering if anyone feels a bit ackey with the wrist's ,might be because its not great conditions so not really moving like I would normally , all standard on the bars and clamps at the moment , don't want to change stuff about if its going to be fine once conditions get better and start pulling some more speed and connecting the bends together * ) just wondered if any one else has done anything ? thanks in advance vince .
Firstly I would say that while it is partly true that going a little faster as the conditions improve is likely to take a bit of weight off your wrists it is when the conditions are not so great that you want to be feeling as comfortable as possible which in turn will give you greater control and confidence while riding.

Handlebar type and position are all quite a personal thing which for a fair part will depend on your own physical shape and size (arm length etc.) because as I am sure you are aware, motorcycles come from the factory with ergonomics that are a compromise for the 'average' size and shape rider- a kind of 'One size (almost) fits all'.

However, before you go to changing bars and risers there is one little trick to try- Sit on the bike with your hands on the grips and fingers resting on the brake and clutch levers.

Now look to see if your fingers are in line with your forearms. From your elbows to the tips of your fingers it should be a nice straight line- if not then this could be a cause of your wrist ache which then travels up your arms making your shoulders tense and in turn making you think about being tense and thus not feeling 'at one' with your riding.

*Note: In order to adjust the position of your levers you may well need to remove the little locating pips on the switch gear but don't worry they are only there to aide the assembly operators to ensure each and every motorcycle leaves the factory with them in the same place.
Old 17-01-2019, 07:53 PM   #6
Doggy

Bike: M796
I fitted a cnc racing riser block thingy to my 796 as the bars seemed low . They still seem low compared to my 765RS triple .

Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 08:15 PM   #7
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.p View Post
Pop into your local Ducati dealer and get a set of bar risers for the 1100 Evo, they are approx 15mm higher. I did the opposite and put the 1100s lower risers on my Evo, prefer the lower front end as last bike was 748R. (Also takes the weight off my back with lower risers)
This from an earlier thread might help you. The picture clearly shows the height difference between the two risers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
You've got a few options.

If you want to keep the stock appearance, you can simply bolt on the riser from the 1100 Evo, which is 20mm higher and a straight swop. As I understand it, you don't need to change any of the stock cables/hoses with this mod. This is what the difference looks like:

The part no. is 360.1.127.1.A. (Don't know the price though.)

I know one of the members on here, "Claude", did the opposite swop on his Evo to lower the bars. (That's his picture above.) You could PM him to see if he'd sell you his old Evo riser.

If you want something more blingy, CNC Racing do nice individual risers in various heights...

https://www.designcorse.com/collecti...ant=4231975937

as do Rizoma...

http://www.rizoma.com/street/ducati/en

both of which are available in the UK.

The agony of choice!
Just be aware that the tank air intakes on the 696/796/1100 are designed to accommodate the switch clusters at full lock. So, if you make any adjustments to the bars, check the switchgear clearance at full lock before riding it and adjust the lockstops if necessary.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 04:10 PM   #8
holty

Bike: M1100
On the advise from Luddite I purchased from Ducati the raised bar clamp £52.00 and it fitted perfectly! I had to slightly adjust the throttle cables because on full lock the engine revs increased a little.
This is a good OE modification and I am very pleased with the result which has reduced the weight on my wrists just enough without compromising that connected feeling with the front end of the bike.
Thank You
holty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 04:34 PM   #9
vince53

many thanks guys as always some good rounded food for thought , " Flip " on the button for setting up bars and control's , " Luddite " always got good advice * ) but thank you ALL rollo22 stopintime ,Chris p , Doggy , Holty * ) will have a play around and if no joy will probably go for the EVO risers , thanks again here's looking for the sunny long days soon , cheers vince .
vince53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 07:39 PM   #10
stopintime

Bike: S2r
Check the drawings here. They illustrate the problem and solution quite well. http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/in...?topic=52588.0

Risers might be a good idea to relieve lower back pain, but the only thing they do for wrist pain is letting off SOME of the weight... which feels better, but has NOT solved the problem.

To find MY solution way back when, I picked up two pencils and experimented with distance, angles, width and height. Height is not the solution. It's a pain killer, at best.

Sorry for the besser-wisser posts. Through my work I see similar problems every day and there are too many quick fixes and too little willingness to dig deep enough.

Ride on
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 08:01 PM   #11
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by vince53 View Post
...if no joy will probably go for the EVO risers...
There's a new one on eBay at the moment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monster-1...A/183633290418

for £50 or best offer. You could try making a cheeky offer, which they might accept if the item has been in their stock room for some time.

But you could also put a request in the "I want" section as quite a few Evo owners have lowered the bars so there should be quite a few standard risers knocking around.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #12
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
There's a new one on eBay at the moment

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monster-1...A/183633290418

for £50 or best offer. You could try making a cheeky offer, which they might accept if the item has been in their stock room for some time.

But you could also put a request in the "I want" section as quite a few Evo owners have lowered the bars so there should be quite a few standard risers knocking around.
£50 is taking the mick, that's for sure, ask a dealer how much they are, I think I paid less than £35 for 1100S ones.
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #13
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Let me have a look in the garage I'm sure that I've got one...
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 11:10 AM   #14
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Whilst Geoff rummages through his collection of rare NOS parts you could always nip down to Wilkco and get some longer bolts and washers/spacers to experiment with?

My own opinion with the old style monster at least is that because its so similar to the race bikes geometrically speaking that clip ons work really well, even those that are raised up nearly as high as the standard bars put a bit more weight over the front.

I just couldn't get on with the standard S4 bolt on things as they were just at the wrong angles and too high for me, awkward, vague feeling and not comfortable. Even though my clip ons with risers aren't that much lower so they don't put your hands that much lower the angles can be adjusted to be more comfortable and since they're narrower you get a much better feel and feedback from the front.

If I had a Monster with a conventional top yoke and bar clamp setup I would probably be tempted to try some 'Jota' style bars the same as I have on my Mirage. Clip ons don't necessarily mean back breaking uncomfortable and I can ride either bike for long periods without any problems and I do have a medical spine condition.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 11:14 AM   #15
buzzbomb
Gold Member

I'm afraid it's the lower one that Luddite posted pics of
Sorry.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote