UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Swinging arm repair ?

Old 16-01-2019, 05:13 PM   #16
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Competition Fabrications are excellent, they made up my silencers from my cardboard templates. They always seem to have something really interesting in the workshop too, last time I was there it one of Fangio's Maserarti's. However I no longer live at Attleborough, I just don't know how to alter the signature bit? If anyone can tell me that would be great.

Anyway back to the swinging arm issue, my plan is to ease the holes in the arm out to 11mm, and the same with the bottom of the shock, and then make up an oversized pin. Any comments gratefully received, Bitza.
Old 16-01-2019, 06:44 PM   #17
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM900 View Post
Take it up to Competition Fabrications, on the edge of Attleborough, 01953 454573, it is one of the finest places for one-off engineering anywhere. I'm sure they will be able to perform a top notch repair without busting the bank account.
That wouldn't be Nick Paravani by any chance would it?
Old 16-01-2019, 07:19 PM   #18
TimM900

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
That wouldn't be Nick Paravani by any chance would it?
Hi Gary, yes it is his old company, he semi retired a while back, I see him sometimes at trials events. He still goes in and works there at times, does a bit of pipe bending.
TimM900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 08:05 PM   #19
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitza View Post
my plan is to ease the holes in the arm out to 11mm, and the same with the bottom of the shock, and then make up an oversized pin. Any comments gratefully received, Bitza.
It should be possible to enlarge the oval hole to an oversize (11mm or whatever) with a long series drill bit (expensive, but at least available). If you could find a very large press drill and hold the arm on it properly, the long bit should reach the pin hole through the access hole in the side of the arm.
Utopia was telling me only this weekend, that it is sometimes better to just turn the chuck by hand to enlarge holes in ally.
No need for an oversized pin. Just make bushes to go in the arm on a standard bolt.
..Thinking out loud, it might be possible to shrink in interference fit bushes, using aerosols from a pipe freezing kit?? Perhaps warm the arm a bit too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimM900 View Post
Hi Gary, yes it is his old company, he semi retired a while back, I see him sometimes at trials events. He still goes in and works there at times, does a bit of pipe bending.
Nick is a very talented chap. He did a couple of pipe bending commissions for me in the 80's... Absolutely fabulous work! Possibly only approached by Clive Scarfe, serial BSA and Triumph triple owner. He now supplies exclusive exhausts for Norman Hyde.
Old 16-01-2019, 10:01 PM   #20
TimM900

Quote:
Nick is a very talented chap. He did a couple of pipe bending commissions for me in the 80's... Absolutely fabulous work! Possibly only approached by Clive Scarfe, serial BSA and Triumph triple owner. He now supplies exclusive exhausts for Norman Hyde.
Yes his pipe work is excellent. I've not come across Clive Scarfe, but in the early 2000s there was another guy out your way/ or further towards Holt/Fakenham called Gordon Eadie or Eady, his pipe work was exceptional, with incredible welding skills too. Unfortunately I've no idea what happened to him.
Old 16-01-2019, 10:55 PM   #21
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Well it's a small world aint it?
I worked with Gordon's brother Martin and was great mates with him for years, but I have never met Gordon. I think he is working from Hevingham now, as a plumber...What a waste!
I think he had a business on the airport industrial estate at one time called Gorfab?
Old 17-01-2019, 09:30 AM   #22
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

I would not oversize the hole and the shock bush (the bush in the shock will become hot and may destroy any rubber between it and the eye on the shock).
Rather make a top hat bush bored 10mm, shoulder 12 or 13mm diameter and the same depth as the aluminium lug with the oval hole with the brim c20mm diameter and 1 or 1.5mm deep. You may also need a 1mm or 2mm longer shock bolt
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 09:49 AM   #23
Dukedesmo

Or weld up the hole & redrill?

Dukedesmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 08:51 PM   #24
TimM900

Quote:
Well it's a small world aint it?
I worked with Gordon's brother Martin and was great mates with him for years, but I have never met Gordon. I think he is working from Hevingham now, as a plumber...What a waste!
I think he had a business on the airport industrial estate at one time called Gorfab?
That's useful info, I'd heard he'd given up pipe making and gone to France, that was years ago. I guess there's more money in plumbing & it's more regular work too, demand for 1-off top quality exhausts is pretty limited. You may be right about Gorfab, sounds familiar, though when he did a pipe for me he was working from somewhere like Melton Constable.

BTW, is his surname spelt Eadie or Eady?