UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Simple (reversible!) Termi baffle mod. for 1100Evo

Old 04-06-2018, 07:00 PM   #1
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Simple (reversible!) Termi baffle mod. for 1100Evo

This mod is quick, simple, cheap and reversible (and proves I've got too much time on my hands!).

Problem: You've bought your Termis but are a bit disappointed with the sound. Not surprising when you see the standard baffles - they are fully closed at one end and the only exit for the gasses is the three small slots just in front of the end.

You can remove the baffles completely, but may find the unsilenced cans too loud/antisocial (depending on your conscience!).

So, what can you do? You could buy a pair of Desmoworld billet baffles:

https://www.desmoworld.com/desmoworl...-paar-53?c=497

I've got a set and they sound good but they're not cheap at £75 a pair.

You could just modify the standard baffles but what happens at MOT time if the tester's a bit picky? (A spare set of Termi baffles is also about £75.)

For a little over £6 you can get a length of steel tubing with an inner diameter of 30mm to exactly match the 30mm outer diameter of the baffle tube.*

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mild-Stee...n/253136715957

This allows you to cut the end off the standard baffle but still to replace it come MOT time or if you have second thoughts.

Just cut the original baffle tubes about 90mm from the closed end and clean up the edges on both parts. Then cut two 60mm lengths of tubing and slide them onto the exit pipe.

To restore full silencing, just push the cut portion of the baffle back into the new piece of tube until it's fully home.

The steel tube is a very snug interference fit over the old baffle so I've not bothered with any fixings at this stage. However, if it becomes loose, I can try exhaust paste or drilling a hole and pop-riveting or slotting the tube and clamping it.

With the tube in place, it's quieter than the Desmoworld baffles but still deeper in tone and with a crisper edge than standard. The Desmoworld baffles are 33mm diameter as against 28mm for the standard and are also shorter than my modded ones.

I've now got five volume levels to choose from, depending on mood or occasion!

Fully silenced
Open-ended long tube
Open-ended no tube
Desmoworld baffles
No baffles

*Actually, I've enough tube left for another pair of baffles so, if you fancy trying it, just PM me your address and I'll post it on to you (fancy trying it, Jimi216?).
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 04:23 PM   #2
Uncle Bob

This is great information for me, thanks, as I've been pondering this very question.

How do you think the bike 'feels' with these different options? I just started a thread to ask about how the ECU is configured i.e. from a baffles point of view...
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2018, 05:49 PM   #3
Luddite

Glad you're enjoying your Evo, Bob.

Which exhaust have you got; the carbon race can or the polished stainless homologated version? I ask because the ECU on the race can disables the exhaust butterfly valve and the lambda sensors while the homologated ECU only switches off the exhaust valve.

I've got the homologated can, which contains catalysers and, even with the cats providing some silencing, they were too loud for me with no baffles.

As far as 'feel' goes, I couldn't tell any difference between baffles in or out.

Sometime after fitting the exhaust, I had the DP ECU remapped by Neil at Cornerspeed, which further improved the fuelling and allowed me to remove the lambda sensors.

Have a look at this dyno chart. It's not mine but it compares the standard set up; the homologated Termis/DP ECU running the Desmoworld baffles; and then the same Termi/baffle combination with the remapped ECU.

Apparently, although not shown here, the dyno curves for the Desmoworld baffles and Termi baffles are virtually identical, suggesting that they don't have any significant affect on the fuelling.

I haven't actually used my Desmoworld baffles since I carried out the above mod. I see they're currently selling for €100 including postage so, if you'd like mine for, say, £45 including postage, drop me a PM with your details and I'll get them off to you asap.

As Buzzbomb said elsewhere, they are beautifully machined and have a nice, deep, but not offensively loud, note.

Have a look here for more Evo mods:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=55168
Old 03-12-2018, 09:51 AM   #4
Uncle Bob

Thanks for the excellent information Luddite.

I've got the stacked carbon race cans, but looking at the above it would seem that the bike will be perfectly happy running in any configuration (unbaffled, Termi baffled, Desmo baffled), it's just a matter of preference. I do like the unbaffled sound, however I wonder whether I (or Mrs Bob) would feel the same after the novelty of has worn off a bit?!

Thanks for the offer, and I'll bear that in mind. I'll hold off making a decision until I get some more miles on the thing.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:49 AM   #5
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Thanks for the offer, and I'll bear that in mind. I'll hold off making a decision until I get some more miles on the thing.
No problem. I'll probably put them in the 'for sale' section next year but I'll let you know when, so you can have first refusal.

Enjoy your Evo!
Old 03-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #6
Uncle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
No problem. I'll probably put them in the 'for sale' section next year but I'll let you know when, so you can have first refusal.

Enjoy your Evo!
That's very kind of you sir, thanks very much
Old 02-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #7
Uncle Bob

Interestingly, when reinstalling the baffles last night I realised that they are either A) much shorter and open ended (about the same as Luddite's chopped ones including the pipe\sleeve) meaning they were like that from the factory, or B) have already been chopped?

Given the bike is so original and with so few miles I can't really see the previous owner doing this, plus there are no toolmarks etc to suggest they have been cut. Therefore I can only guess that it's simply a different type of baffle.

In terms of noise it makes the sound a little more 'raspy' but still pretty bloody loud.

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 02-01-2019 at 02:47 PM..
Old 02-01-2019, 04:16 PM   #8
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Interestingly, when reinstalling the baffles last night I realised that they are either A) much shorter and open ended (about the same as Luddite's chopped ones including the pipe\sleeve) meaning they were like that from the factory, or B) have already been chopped.
Interesting. I'm not aware of any alternative standard baffles. On the homologated Termis, there is a small spot of weld on the screws holding in the baffles. It takes a little bit of force to break them free the first time you remove them. Did you have to break the weld on yours when you first removed the baffles? If so, they must have been like that from new. Mind you, as you've got the race cans, it may be that there wasn't any weld in the first place. Plenty of others on the forum have the carbon Termis so perhaps they can confirm what the standard baffles look like.

By the way, am I right in thinking that you won't be wanting the Desmoworld baffles now?
Old 03-01-2019, 09:58 AM   #9
Uncle Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Interesting. I'm not aware of any alternative standard baffles. On the homologated Termis, there is a small spot of weld on the screws holding in the baffles. It takes a little bit of force to break them free the first time you remove them. Did you have to break the weld on yours when you first removed the baffles? If so, they must have been like that from new. Mind you, as you've got the race cans, it may be that there wasn't any weld in the first place. Plenty of others on the forum have the carbon Termis so perhaps they can confirm what the standard baffles look like.

By the way, am I right in thinking that you won't be wanting the Desmoworld baffles now?
Yeah it would be insteresting to see what others have. I don't recall having to break them free as such?

Re: the desmo baffles, I don't really know 100% as I haven't ridden it yet since installing the baffles on NYD evening. It has only been run for a few minutes in the garage. To be honest though, now I know that the bafffles aren't super restricting I may not bother replacing them. Thank you though, and good luck if you do decide to sell them.