UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Another rubbish Motobatt

Old 21-12-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Another rubbish Motobatt

Boght a new Motobatt Feburary 2017 it went dead and was replaced under warrany due to internal shorts in July 2017 ,, now the replacemt is not holding a charge even though its getting 14.1v from regulator and is also tended with a optimate ,, so its only lasted 16 months which is crap

will replace with a YUasa and never get another motobatt again ,, lots of my pals have also had problems with motobatts not lasting long ,,
Old 21-12-2018, 02:29 PM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Mine lasted a couple of years that's all. There's not a lot you can do to maintain a battery of that type. Mine was not tendered continuously but was charged every month or so. Some people seem to be able to get a much longer life but mine wouldn't start the bike if it had been left for a few weeks, unless it was fully charged beforehand.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
mickj

Bike: M1200s
The quality control at motobatt is crap, some last for ages and others only make to the weekend. Best to stick with yuasa.
Old 21-12-2018, 08:25 PM   #4
Flip

Bike: M900
Thought it was just me or the fact the ones I've had trouble with were on my race bike (no charging system) and kept on an Optimate when in the garage.

Going back, the original Yuasa battery on my Monster lasted twelve years from new to 2009 so I paid top money to replace it with the same again- nothing changed in the way I used the bike or keeping it on an Optimate as I had done the original but the second battery lasted just under two years.

That was replaced with a Motobatt which on the Monster is still going strong so around seven years for this one so far- still kept on an Optimate but not always every time I put the bike away like I did with the Yuasa's.

However, during this time I started racing and so with the convenience of being able to lay the Motobatts flat I initially bought one, followed shortly by another to replace the conventional lead acid battery I had used. The first of this pair failed within a year and was replaced under warranty, then again within a year the replacement failed and I was told by the supplying authorised dealer that only one warranty claim can be made on a purchase which I found (and still find) unbelievable as surely it is the unit that is under warranty not the purchase so was forced to buy another battery

Oddly the oldest one for the race bike is still going strong along with the newest which I purchased for a back up.

Therefore, it does suggest they may have a quality control problem or simply some are better that others (much the same as my original experience with the Yuasa's).

The only thing I will say, is that at least with Motobatt or other AGM type batteries (and obviously Lithium too) at least you don't have to worry about breather tubes venting over the painted surfaces of frames and engine cases.

Not sure what happens to them when a regulator/rectifier fails and they over charge though....anyone?
Old 22-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #5
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Just to counter...

I've got 3 bikes with Motobatt batteries, all have been fine.

The oldest must be about 9 years and on a bike (916) that got through 3 Yuasas in the 10 years prior, and that (with the Yuasas) if not left on trickle charge wouldn't start after a couple of weeks. The only time I've attached a charger to the Motobatt is after a few month winter layup.

Similarly my Monster, had a Motobatt for 5 years and my Guzzi, that takes a huge amount of power just to spin the engine for 3 years.

Had no problems, only downside is the weight (especially the 32ah on the Guzzi at 10kg!) but I'd rather that and a bike that starts because bump-starting a big twin isn't the easiest thing to, especially the 916 as it needs good battery power to get the fuel/ignition running, never mind the starter.

Oh and I wouldn't want to push the old Guzzi anywhere as it weighs about as much as a small car...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I think its just the S4 as it seems to have a reputation as a hard starter more so than the 916, so i dunno maybe they just put too much stress on the battery? The dead motobatt that wouldn't even turn over my S4 will spin my up 748 and nearly starts it before dying.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
My Motobatt is 5 years and 5 months old, still good as new and has NEVER been on a charger in my possession, except for the bike's alternator.

I always keep the bike's charging circuit connections in good order. I don't believe in those battery tender thingies, I think they kill batteries. How many times have we heard.. I keep it on a optimate but it won't turn the engine over?

I have a continuous draw from the digital clock I installed but it copes with that easily.. It's about 4mah.

I was quite used to buying a new Yausa about once a year for any of my many bikes. A quick calc reveals that I must have got through over a hundred of the things.
Old 22-12-2018, 04:58 PM   #8
Tim88

Bike: M1100evo
My two year old Motobatt MBT12B4 was a replacement for a five year old Yuasa YT12B-BS. I went with the Motobatt because of good reviews on this forum. I was however less than thrilled when the Motobatt turned out to be a very ordinary Chinese made two terminal item with a lower claimed CCR than the Yuasa. From the website, and indeed the box it came in I was expecting a QuadFlex, high capacity item and even supposed it would be a full on Made in America answer to all my dreams which would spin up the Evo noticeably better. It doen't of course. Since reading this thread I am now suspicious of its recent performance, maybe the first signs of demise? I will go back to Yuasa next time. I would really be interested in Lithium, but need to think about any potential over charging/discharging issues but this way I could get a higher capacity battery in the same physical space.
Tim88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #9
Tosh

Bike: M900sie
Interesting thread. My two year old motobat is starting to give up on my 2001 M900sie. Thinking of trying a lithium battery. I fitted a digital voltmeter about a year ago, just to keep an eye an charging voltage.
Anyone else running a lithium battery ?
Tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2018, 04:18 PM   #10
Billbo

The 4 year old yuasa on mine gave up after 4 years but only about 1000 miles...was on a tender apparently as well. Maybe infrequent use doesn’t help either?
Never had a problem with Motobatt ones in the past, had them on TLS1000 and a 1200 Buell, both needed a big bigger to turn over.