UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Would it be ok to post a link to a survey here please?

Old 10-08-2009, 04:35 PM   #46
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
I agree with you Pomp. No ones holding your arm up your back and yes they are doing it for business thats what makes the world go around.

Alas Im not allowed to fill in the form anyhow.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #47
David Matthews

Bike: S2r 1000
I also agree with Pomp1, while answering the questions it was good to reflect what a great bike it is. TWO is one of the best mags, the enthusiasm for bikes and biking really comes across.
David Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #48
Arbeia

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWO_Review View Post
It's certainly a possibility but not 100%.

We've had a good response to this survey now. I'm really sorry we excluded the 696 and 1100 - you can only group so many machines together or the results start to become meaningless.

Thanks again to everyone.
since you asked for 2007 models and under that rules out 696 and 1100 since they are 2008-2009 bikes!
Old 10-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #49
mjw

No albie it's gravitational pull that makes the world go around
Old 11-08-2009, 08:26 AM   #50
Will

It's just a quick way to fill the mag with the minimum effort - nothing more.

Been buying bike mags for years - and it's the same old recycled tosh month after month, year after year - the only mag with any hint of original real journalism is Bike.

P.S. I have subscribed to TWO for years - it used to be 'edgy' and fun to read when it first came out - now it is just like the rest - mostly duller than ditch water, don't think my subscription will last much longer.
Old 13-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #51
Catspoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
So what's the prize then?

Might be better if they made a real effort and visited a few owners, took them out to dinner, interviewed them and then rewarded them in some significant way.
Better to collate data from a wide user base and then publish a decent representation of the pros and cons of Monster ownership. Plus, scribes on the more minor periodicals don't have News of the World size expense accounts. Get good quantitative data that will allow readers to decide, not the highlights of a nosh-up - which is not even a valid way to conduct a survey in the first place..

Quote:
In reality they just want to fill their Rag each month at the lowest possible cost with the minimum possible effort.
Compiling a decent survey takes rather a lot of effort actually, and the time to extrapolate and interpret the information obviously costs money too.

Quote:
What better way than to get a few gullible, proud owners to do their work for them - Tossers
What better way to get knowledgable owners to put their views across rather than bang out misinformed bilge. Remind you of anyone?
Old 13-08-2009, 02:24 PM   #52
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catspoon View Post
Better to collate data from a wide user base and then publish a decent representation of the pros and cons of Monster ownership. Plus, scribes on the more minor periodicals don't have News of the World size expense accounts. Get good quantitative data that will allow readers to decide, not the highlights of a nosh-up - which is not even a valid way to conduct a survey in the first place..

Compiling a decent survey takes rather a lot of effort actually, and the time to extrapolate and interpret the information obviously costs money too.

What better way to get knowledgable owners to put their views across rather than bang out misinformed bilge. Remind you of anyone?

Better for what purpose?

A wide range of email responses from self confessed Monster lovers does not automatically mean the results are accurate or truthful.

At the end of the day - all the Jurno wants is some 'stuff' to fill the pages of his Rag that is delivered on time at the lowest cost - they don't give a toss for the accuracy or otherwise.

They dangle carrots of prizes and expect you to be grateful if you get a mention in MAG - what a joke!

They got short-shrift on the GS website when they asked to 'borrow' a 1150 from an owner so that they could write an article - apparently all the dealers had told them to get lost - so they tried to get some gullible owner to hand over his bike for a few days - no payment or compensation, just a 'oh you might' get a mention in our Mag! What a bunch of w@nkers!
Old 13-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #53
Pomp1

Will, if it upsets you so much, just don't buy the damn mag..
Old 13-08-2009, 03:12 PM   #54
Catspoon

Quote:
Better for what purpose?

A wide range of email responses from self confessed Monster lovers does not automatically mean the results are accurate or truthful.
Dear. And, indeed, oh and dear too.

This survey isn't the Kit-Kat 20-word compo you entered last week. And by the looks of things didn't win either. Think about it. A larger sample of owners does mean the results may be more respresentative of ownership. Rather like on this or many other forums owners may proclaim their undying love for their machines, but that doesn't make them blind to faults and issues - which a good survey will ascertain and relay to readers. And ultimately will collate far more meaningful information than your idea of a two-for-one night out at the Berni Steak House in Cheam.

Quote:
At the end of the day - all the Jurno wants is some 'stuff' to fill the pages of his Rag that is delivered on time at the lowest cost - they don't give a toss for the accuracy or otherwise.

They dangle carrots of prizes and expect you to be grateful if you get a mention in MAG - what a joke!
Will, Will, Will, Will, Will. Let's try again, shall we?

Would you prefer to read about real-world biking issues or recycled guff made up by Motorrad's PR bunny in Bracknell? Owners and readers have always made contributions to publications. And sometimes, people are quoted or mentioned or thanked. Is that such a crime bordering on interfering with your grannie? Hmmm, I think not.

As for lowest possible cost, I'll say it again. Surveys take time to create, distribute, collate and then review. All that before writing up the article. They're actually quite expensive in terms of time and the effort required. But hey, don't let the facts stand in the way of your myopia.
Old 13-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #55
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catspoon View Post
Dear. And, indeed, oh and dear too.

This survey isn't the Kit-Kat 20-word compo you entered last week. And by the looks of things didn't win either. Think about it. A larger sample of owners does mean the results may be more respresentative of ownership. Rather like on this or many other forums owners may proclaim their undying love for their machines, but that doesn't make them blind to faults and issues - which a good survey will ascertain and relay to readers. And ultimately will collate far more meaningful information than your idea of a two-for-one night out at the Berni Steak House in Cheam.

Will, Will, Will, Will, Will. Let's try again, shall we?

Would you prefer to read about real-world biking issues or recycled guff made up by Motorrad's PR bunny in Bracknell? Owners and readers have always made contributions to publications. And sometimes, people are quoted or mentioned or thanked. Is that such a crime bordering on interfering with your grannie? Hmmm, I think not.

As for lowest possible cost, I'll say it again. Surveys take time to create, distribute, collate and then review. All that before writing up the article. They're actually quite expensive in terms of time and the effort required. But hey, don't let the facts stand in the way of your myopia.
The point is - 95% of it IS recycled-guff, they cant' possibly fill their rags every month unless they do repeat the same old dross. A pseudo scientific survey is an easy way of getting a few meaningless statistics and a few 'free of charge' comments for the half-wit journo to word process into a quick 2-page filler article

A half decent journo would get off his arse, go out, invest a bit of time, money and skill in getting good stories and articles - instead they sit on their arses making up crap surveys and turning out the same old pap month after month.
Old 13-08-2009, 04:05 PM   #56
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomp1 View Post
Will, if it upsets you so much, just don't buy the damn mag..
I do not get the slightest bit upset by it - just pointing out what a load of sh*te it really is.

I still susbscribe to TWO/Visor Down, If I didn't buy it I couldn't comment, but I do, so I can.

As I said it used to be a bit bolshie and edgy and interesting to read - but no more, if your lucky a vaguely amusing story from James Whitham - the rest is 'yawn' another sports bike article about how this month the Suzuki has the edge of the Honda or the Yamaha or wotever - next month they swap it around to so all the manufacturers get a turn at the top - they got to keep the advertising coming in - subscriptions don't pay the bills. Oh and then maybe you get an exciting artcle (composed from a survey) about how 5 numpties love their TDM's
Old 13-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #57
Catspoon

Crikey William you don't half go on don't you?

So let me get this straight. You dissaprove of surveys, involving a journo getting off their arses and using their investigative skills to find information from sources and then creating an article which might include some free quotes, and instead want to see them getting off their arses and writing articles based on information from sources and including some free quotes. Ah. Makes perfect sense now!

Sadly, you've spent a good portion of time on here having a right old whinge, and let's face it your hawkish criticism of a magazine title will most likely go nowhere and help no-one. Even more sadder, in fact as sad as a sad salad on National Sad Day, people do like reading information that will help them make choices in what they spend their money on, so surveys are going to feature in mags of all kinds for, oooh, ages yet. So your opinion does rather put you in a smaller minority than the Iranian President. Never mind. He might ride a GS though. Never asked him personally. You could if you bump into him. Tell him he owes me a fiver for the DVD he had from Blockbuster if you do.

However, I'm a generous soul so here's a tip. Why not give the publishers the benefit of your razor-sharp knowledge of the wishes of their target market and tell them? You never know, they may even do a readership survey.

Oh....
Old 13-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #58
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Bike: M620ie
Ah a large welcome back to the dullsh1t tones of Will!

Arf arf

http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/content.asp?pid=6
Nonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #59
Bunny

Well, the very nice man from TWO spent a lot of his time on the phone to me today getting a very one-sided opinion from someone who has owned 7 monsters, 4 aircooled and 3 water cooled, who still owns one of each, and is very happy to let anyone who is willing to listen know how great monsters are.

Not really interested what the "real" reason for the survey may be, I just like talking about bikes, especially monsters.
Old 13-08-2009, 09:40 PM   #60
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonnie View Post
Ah a large welcome back to the dullsh1t tones of Will!

Arf arf
haha - you still on this site - wondered how long it would be before you bit too ;-)