UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Friday Task

Old 26-02-2021, 08:34 AM   #1
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Friday Task

Thought it was going to be an easy Friday however my task today is to get a wartime jeep klaxon working

Never seen one before certainly never taken one apart, not even sure what voltage its expecting ? I guess 6v first thing I noticed are two wires that don't appear to e attached to anything and should I suspect go either end of what looks like a very primitive resistor, all pointers, experience, knowledge gratefully received

Last edited by Kato; 26-02-2021 at 08:55 AM..
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 09:22 AM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Any good?

http://www.delcoremyhistory.com/Serv...orn%201933.htm

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 09:45 AM   #3
Kato
Dismantled

Very useful thanks Darren

Old 26-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #4
Kato
Dismantled

After a bit of messing about with the klaxon it seems the circuitry is passing current and my first observation was correct in that the two wires should connect either end of the condenser, it looks like someone has tried repairing it in the past as there are horrible globs of solder on the wires, I can,t find the tails coming out of the condenser so cannot get an ohm reading and obviously can't re-solder and even if I did I doubt it would work and of course the outer wax paper with the information on it is long gone so I need to try and work out what value it should be and somehow find another or modern equivalent

Old 26-02-2021, 05:46 PM   #5
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Could you fit a horn from a 6v motorcycle inside the bulb at the end, something from an old British bike, or from an MZ?
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 07:13 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

It needs to be able to spin a toothed gear against a metal diaphragm in the horn at varying speeds in order to make the correct 'aroo-arooga' noise. There's a guy in the US called the klaxon guy who restores them so he may be able to advise on spares which he claims to have stocks of most things, if you want to google him. Restored ones appear to go for silly money though on his site!

Old 27-02-2021, 10:44 AM   #7
Kato
Dismantled

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TSS View Post
Could you fit a horn from a 6v motorcycle inside the bulb at the end, something from an old British bike, or from an MZ?
Yep I could but that, but would be the easy way out and miss the point plus when it goes back onto the 1940 Thames Van it needs to be correct

Old 27-02-2021, 09:43 PM   #8
Martin Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
After a bit of messing about with the klaxon it seems the circuitry is passing current and my first observation was correct in that the two wires should connect either end of the condenser, it looks like someone has tried repairing it in the past as there are horrible globs of solder on the wires, I can,t find the tails coming out of the condenser so cannot get an ohm reading and obviously can't re-solder and even if I did I doubt it would work and of course the outer wax paper with the information on it is long gone so I need to try and work out what value it should be and somehow find another or modern equivalent

If it is a capacitor (condenser) try substituting a condenser as fitted across ignition points and see if that works. If the component is trashed then cutting it in half across its diameter will tell you what it is, or was! A capacitor will consist of a long piece of waxed paper with foil on either side, a resistor probably a card or ceramic tube filled with carbon powder, or a high power low resistance one will have a coil around the outside (like an old electric fire element) I'm more inclined to think the component in your photograph is a capacitor.

Hope this helps and good luck, Martin

Last edited by Martin Duke; 27-02-2021 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: typo!
Martin Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 05:06 PM   #9
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
I was sure my dad had a similar example but, after rummaging around in the garage for a couple of hours, I came up empty handed. (I did find some nice, unused, 1960s vintage spotlights though, so not an entire waste of time).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
It needs to be able to spin a toothed gear against a metal diaphragm in the horn at varying speeds in order to make the correct 'aroo-arooga' noise.
I don't think it's a motor-driven rotary example - it looks more like a magnetically activated vibrating diaphragm model.

(Some relevant images)

The condenser will be to minimise the arcing between the contacts, much the same as in contact breaker ignition systems.

This forum thread might help. It seems a 0.5 uF 200-250V DC component might do the job.

https://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads...1036816/3.html
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:41 AM   #10
Kato
Dismantled

That appears to be the exact same unit great info many thanks Luddite

Going to see if I can find an original condenser as per your photo before I go for the modern equivalent

Old 02-03-2021, 05:11 PM   #11
Kato
Dismantled

While searching or parts I came across this picture its of the same horn that I have but instead of the wax paper condenser/capacitor it has a resister, reading a little further tells me it is 3 Ohm's, OK but now to me that does not make sense as a capacitor stores electric energy in the form of charge while the Resistor limits or regulates or blocks current in the circuit.
You can see from the pic that somebody was seriously heavy on the hooter by the way it has burned the fixing material

I have some 6ohm resistors meant for LED indicators I also have a 10 Watt 3 ohm Wire wound Cement Resistor, which would be the modern equivalent of the card wound one in the picture so thinking I may try one and see what happens, just a bit nervous as the hooter is not mine and I don't want to fry the winding

Last edited by Kato; 02-03-2021 at 05:23 PM..
Old 02-03-2021, 05:19 PM   #12
slob

https://www.nutsvolts.com/questions-...y-contact-life
https://www.illinoiscapacitor.com/pd...uppression.pdf
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:10 AM   #13
Kato
Dismantled

Thanks Rob, that was useful

So a little more digging around and a bit of head scratching leads me to this logic

It's a 6 volt horn. Therefore I need a capacitor that is good for a few more volts than that since the "draw" is fairly large. 50 volts DC would be a reasonable way to start.

The capacitor is there just to prevent the points (on the vibrator) from arcing - and burning out or worse welding shut, this also tells me that using a resister will work in the same way

Given that the horn had a cap to start with that's what I'll put back finding an original wax paper one is proving very difficult been conversing via email to a guy in the US who thinks he has some but; his last mail said "give me a month or two" so I'm going to buy some modern equivalents to play with

Capacitor .5 micro-farad 50vdc. seems the logical place to start
or
Resister 3 ohm

My method will be

HONK the horn for say 10 seconds.... Then do it again a few more times... watching for a spark at the points. There shouldn't be one (or at least not very prominent.) checking the capacitor to see if it gets warm. If ANY heat build up then go with a slightly larger size, have just ordered a selection box for £8

At least I should be able to get it working while waiting for original components to show up

And I thought this was going to be a 1/2 hour job

Last edited by Kato; 04-03-2021 at 09:25 AM..
Old 04-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #14
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

There's a guy in the US (The Klaxon Man)

http://www.klaxonhorns.com/

Is that who you mean?

Old 04-03-2021, 10:11 AM   #15
Kato
Dismantled

Yep that's him Darren at your suggestion, thanks