UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Airbox or separate Filters? An age old question.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-09-2017, 02:07 PM   #1
Nasher

Bike: M900
Airbox or separate Filters? An age old question.

All, an age old question.

Airbox or separate Filters? An age old question.

My 1997 Carbie M900 is fitted with a Dynojet stage 2 kit(Well that’s what the info in the file says, I’ve not checked) and two huge pint glass sized K&N Filters, which look cool, sound nice, and the bike appears to run OK except being a little bit rough low down in the rev range. The engine is effectively 900SS spec with earlier V2 big valve Heads having been fitted, and it has standard headers with Remus Ducati Performance silencers.

All this was done before I brought it, and I’ve not ridden a standard M900 Carbie, so I’ve no idea if it’s an improvement or not.

I’m currently also building a 900SS Mongrel with a 966 CCW Big Bore kit, and have been looking at Dynojet kits for the standard carbs.
I’ve noted that Dynojet don’t list a stage 3 kit for the M900/900SS which is specified for use with separate filters, and the Stage 2 kit is specified to be used with a standard or modified airbox.
In fact they say that where a Stage 3 kit is not listed it’s because they have found there to be a benefit in using the standard airbox.

I’m probably going to use a standard airbox on the SS with a K&N panel filter, both of which came with a dismantled 600SS Donor bike I brought, and chuck a Stage 2 kit in the carbs.

It does highlight that my M900 is not as suggested is best practice by Dynojet.

I’m well aware that most cut the top off the standard airbox on both the M and SS 900, and because of the above I’m considering sourcing an airbox assembly for the M900 and making a clamp plate to run it without a lid.

Does anyone have any real world experience to share that might persuade me it’s worth going to the bother of doing the work to convert the M900 back to an airbox?
Might I expect some more low down grunt etc.

Thanks

Nasher