UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » How much does your fuel weigh :confused:

Old 30-07-2021, 09:28 AM   #1
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
How much does your fuel weigh :confused:

Useless information unless you happen to be a crew chief making critical calculations ...But

Got into an odd conversation about weight vs performance, full tank vs empty etc; which ended up posing the question how much does petrol weigh, thought the answer would be simple, turns out it’s not.

Obviously, the bike will get lighter as the fuel is used and it seemed to me at the time that fuel for a given volume would be a constant weight, well actually it’s not that easy as the density of petrol varies greatly! The only constant being that 1 UK gallon = 4.546lts

A little research reveals the density range of petrol is between 710 to 775 gram/ litre at 15-degree Celsius. So we can deduce that the weight of 1 litre of petrol at 15-degree Celsius varies from 710 to 775 grams and therefore 1 gallon weighs in at somewhere between 3,227.66gms / 3,523.15gms a potential variance of 0.29549kg or just over ½ lb

So your bike could get heavier or in fact lighter just by swapping from Shell to BP the next time you fill up, food for thought thats all.

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 09:37 AM   #2
Darkness

Bike: M900
Think how much heavier it used to be whilst it still had lead in it?

A large part of the range of densities is caused by thermal expansion. When it’s hot it gets bigger, but the mass doesn’t change, so it gets less dense.

You would expect Shell and BP to be at similar temperatures and densities on any given day where it is feasible to choose either.

Last edited by Darkness; 30-07-2021 at 09:48 AM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2021, 11:32 AM   #3
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Meaning I guess that you get more fuel for your money by filling up on a cold day compared to a hot one?
Old 30-07-2021, 12:13 PM   #4
Kato
Dismantled

Well no ...... you'll still be getting 5 ltrs of fuel it will just weigh + or -

When buying race fuel they quote specifics regardles of temp, premium product actually means that in this case

SUNOCO 260 GT = 761gms
Gulf Racing 102 unleaded = 756gms
Gulf Performance Plus = 734gms

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 10:12 AM   #5
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitza View Post
Meaning I guess that you get more fuel for your money by filling up on a cold day compared to a hot one?
I would say yes, race teams that are a bit marginal on fuel often run the fuel through a cooler to increase capacity.
Old 31-07-2021, 10:31 AM   #6
slob

just look at a motogp grid, space blankets round the tanks and forceps on the breather hoses
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 11:06 AM   #7
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgt View Post
I would say yes, race teams that are a bit marginal on fuel often run the fuel through a cooler to increase capacity.
That's right, Mick, although, like most things in racing, it's now regulated. For example, in MotoGP, since 2015, the fuel cannot be chilled more than 15⁰ C below ambient temperature. There must also be an overflow tank to cater for expansion with a non-return valve. That means any fuel expelled from the tank on the grid due to expansion is lost, hence the use of forceps mentioned by slob.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 12:42 PM   #8
crawsue
Bronze Member

10%

Don’t want to hijack an interesting thread, but topping up my 1959 Matchless G80 yesterday at my local Esso station I noticed the pumps had been re badged, normal Esso 95 ron. now contains 10% ethanol, Esso supreme, 5%....I honestly didnt perceive any difference in performance....although with an old British thumper it’s difficult to use the word “performance “ in any meaningful discussion.
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 02:06 PM   #9
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawsue View Post
Don’t want to hijack an interesting thread, but topping up my 1959 Matchless G80 yesterday at my local Esso station I noticed the pumps had been re badged, normal Esso 95 ron. now contains 10% ethanol, Esso supreme, 5%....I honestly didnt perceive any difference in performance....although with an old British thumper it’s difficult to use the word “performance “ in any meaningful discussion.
Has anyone enquired whether it actually contains 10% ethanol, or less than 10%?

I thought e10 was being rolled out in September, so they may be getting the pumps ready for it.

Last edited by Darkness; 31-07-2021 at 02:11 PM..
Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 03:39 PM   #10
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post

I thought e10 was being rolled out in September, so they may be getting the pumps ready for it.
It could be as low as 5.5%.

I've posted a reply to this in http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...d.php?p=588637

to keep all the ethanol stuff in one place.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 07:39 PM   #11
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Good reason to get bigger inlets and drive it like you stole it. Use up all that pesky dead weight quicker.

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 09:34 AM   #12
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post

I noticed the same warning on fuel pumps in Bridgewater yesterday. It is effective form Aug 1 and don't forget it's up to 10% so it could be anything.
Old 02-08-2021, 02:23 PM   #13
crawsue
Bronze Member

Esso/Tesco fuels

Strangely, I refuelled at Tesco/Esso at Dumfries yesterday,it’s a very busy outlet ,their 95 ron Esso was showing 5% ....but the roll-out is underway.....
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote