UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Tyre time

Old 27-07-2021, 04:30 PM   #1
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
Tyre time

The front tyre on my S2R800 is almost done, its been on there a while and is older than the back, they are both Pirelli Diablo's.
I haven't kept up with new tyres at all so what would you all suggest?
I have Angels on my SC and I like those.
Dont care about ultimate grippyness or any of that young people nonsense, I haven't decided whether to replace both or just the front at this stage- if I keep the back it will probably limit me to another Pirelli but I dont mind that.

Whats out there?
Old 27-07-2021, 05:25 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
The first tyres I had on the Monster were Diablo Stradas. They were good tyres, excellent handling and steering. Good wet grip too.
I felt the need to modernise when I changed them and went to Angels, but they didn't really give that lovely "new tyre" feeling. I found them rather mediocre, the wet grip was average and they inspired less confidence as they wore. I foolishly bought a second pair and I grew very tired of them long before they wore out.
I how have a pair of Metzler Roadtec 01. The difference was apparent after the first few miles and they just get better as the miles rack up. Lovely feeling tyres that have transformed the bike... Really increased the grin factor..
Safe feeling even on the wet and horrid rural roads of North Yorkshire and the Fens.

They probably don't grip any better than any other tyre but the steering and turn in is so sweet! They ride smoother too and make the roads seem less bumpy.

Diablos are super cheap these days and are still good tyres, but why have cotton when you can have silk.. Try a pair of Metzlers..

Worth noting that if your bike is supposed to have a 170 rear, stick with a 170. A 180 will ruin the handling!

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 27-07-2021 at 08:30 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 07:34 PM   #3
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
I had Continental Road Attack 4's fitted front & rear. Very impressed & they don't need scrubbing in because they use a different mould release chemical apparently.

I don't ride in the wet so don't know what they are like in wet conditions though.
They feel more stable than the previous Pirelli Rosso II's though.
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 07:49 PM   #4
hh93

Bike: M620ie
There's been talk on other sites about this and Michelin Road Pilot 4 or 5's seem to get the thumbs up
hh93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2021, 08:23 PM   #5
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
I run Michelin Pilot Power 2cts on my S2r, not the newest or latest but I can happily wear out all the chicken strips on the rear with no drama (even 2 up).
Old 28-07-2021, 07:14 PM   #6
Paul_

Bike: M696
If you like the original Pirelli Angels then you'll like the Angel GT2. Better profile so tips off centre way better than the originals, same great grip and longevity wet or dry. Never run out of grip on the road and thats riding fast, haven't tracked them but assume they wouldn't be anywhere near as good as the new diablo 4's which look very nice.
Paul_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2021, 09:25 PM   #7
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
The first tyres I had on the Monster were Diablo Stradas
Worth noting that if your bike is supposed to have a 170 rear, stick with a 170. A 180 will ruin the handling!
First tyres I had fitted on mine (after the horrendous Dunlop D207’s it came with) were Pirelli Dragon Evo’s- long since out of production but still my favourite road tyre on the Monster!!

I think the S2R’s went up to a 180/55x17 as standard from the 900’s original 170/60x17- pretty sure the rim width didn’t increase with the change though so maybe the slight geometry chance with the ‘ST’ frame helped with the wider rear but I totally agree with you, on the early (888) framed bikes (hoop suspension) the 170 section rear is certainly best for handling.

I had Metzeler Sportec M5’s on my Yammy Thundercat and they were fantastic on that- it carried a few kilos more than the Monster mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hh93 View Post
There's been talk on other sites about this and Michelin Road Pilot 4 or 5's seem to get the thumbs up
Currently have Michelin Pilot 4’s on the Monster and have to say, I’m not a fan- I’ve said before- I ended up raising the rear ride height even more than it was to stop the front feeling like it was in treacle.

Worst still is they seem to last for ages- they is coming off soon though I can tell ya!!

Last edited by Flip; 28-07-2021 at 09:30 PM..
Flip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2021, 07:27 PM   #8
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
My Bikes tyres currently

S4 Michelin PR3 good but not as sticky as i like long life though
1991 750ss Dunlop Qaulifier 2s very excellent handling ,life and sticky but no good on Monsters
1997 M750 Pirelli Diablo 2 pretty good but short life
2000 M750 Bridgestone Bt 016 totally excellent

Have used Metzlers in the past all good ,,
Old 01-08-2021, 05:41 AM   #9
Mark64
Bronze Member

Bike: S4r
I had Bridgestone 016 pro's on my s4r - amazing tyres - like riding on velcro!
Mark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:30 PM   #10
Doggy

Bike: M796
I've two friends recently who have struggled to get the tyres they wanted. One had to go for his second choice and the other just had to have what they had in the sizes he needed as there was a three week wIt for his preferred choice. So don't leave it to the last minute to decide and purchase as you maybe off the road for a while!
Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 02:50 PM   #11
Ron1000

Bike: M1100evo
Bikespeeduk will sort you with tyres. Usually got good stock on the shelf with good dates.
Ron1000 is offline   Reply With Quote