UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Fuels & Oils » Fuel Filter

Old 02-08-2021, 09:51 PM   #1
BeePee

Bike: S2r
Fuel Filter

Hi folks,

I need a fuel filter for my S2r 800, the one that goes in the tank.

Anyone got info which filter or an alternative from some of the car parts suppliers like Eurocarparts ?

Thanks
Old 02-08-2021, 10:55 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
The genuine S2R 800 filter is 42540101A about £25 or an equivalent Mahle KL145 can be had for as little as £10.

When I replaced my Evo filter, I found that the OE filter was actually made by Mahle, so there should be no problem with quality.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=58075

The only difference between OE and Mahle is that the OE filter has a small integral mounting bracket but it doesn't seem to be essential. Velosam recently fitted a KL145 to his 620 without any problems.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...t=58986&page=3
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:00 PM   #3
Terryphukwit

Bike: S4
Have you had a look at the filter yet, my S4 runs a Mahle KL145 as oem, europarts sell them for £11..

Terryphukwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 04:43 PM   #4
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Another vote for Mahle KL145, I use them in the Monster and 916 and they can be had for reasonable money.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 05:54 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I have always got them from Opie oils as they have always been way the cheapest, but that's not to say it'll be the case this week?
Also fitted to BMWs so another cheaper source than Ducati fitment.

Are you sure it's the KL145 that fits the plastic tanked S2R though? I thought the plastic tanks used a different filter?
Old 03-08-2021, 05:59 PM   #6
rollo22

Amazon are selling them for £12.13.
Old 03-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #7
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Are you sure it's the KL145 that fits the plastic tanked S2R though? I thought the plastic tanks used a different filter?
Shouldn't be a problem, Mr G. The part nos. for the S2R filter (both 800 & 1000) and the 620 are the same and Velosam recently fitted a KL145 to his 620 with no problems. Indeed, Opie oils confirm that it fits the S2R models.

At the moment, CarParts4Less seem to be the cheapest.

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/search/503330210
Old 03-08-2021, 06:35 PM   #8
BeePee

OK thanks for the info folks, I'm hoping that's all it is ?

Met the guys from Ducati Manchester with SDC at The Green Welly on Sunday and broke down on my way home.

She's never missed a beat in her 800 miles so far and was going great but never fired properly in the morning.
2 hour ride to the meet and then struggled to start again, I was out overtaking on a lovely fast stretch and oh oh, nothing, dead and coasted to a stop.
Got her going again and from there to Inverary never missed a beat but was only cruising, over the bridge outside Inverary and gave her some to wheelie over it a wee bit and she died again 100yds later, game over.

While waiting for the AA to arrive about 8 hours hours later I got her going again and headed back to Inverary for food and water, just tickled her along at 30mph and she's not started again since.
Turning over great but not firing, when I took the tank off after draining it as much as I could I found dirt floating about, I blew through the removed filter and it didn't clear at first, are they directional ?
After blowing through the other side it cleared.

AA were shocking !

Called at 14.40, independent mechanic assessment at 4pm "so what do you think is wrong with it, I don't know anything about bikes" he said

Passed back to the AA for recovery and was collected at 10pm, home at midnight !
Old 03-08-2021, 07:25 PM   #9
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeePee View Post
Turning over great but not firing, when I took the tank off after draining it as much as I could I found dirt floating about, I blew through the removed filter and it didn't clear at first, are they directional ?
After blowing through the other side it cleared.
Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Yes, the filter's are directional and you will see an arrow on the filter body, which indicates the direction of flow.

I'm surprised you found dirt/debris in the tank after so few miles. I seem to recall it having around 20 miles on it when you bought it and a couple of MoTs so it must have been run early in its life. I suppose if it hadn't been completely drained of fuel before being stored for 8 years then there could be some gumming up or detritus in the fuel system. Hopefully the new filter will sort it.

You say it spins up ok on the starter - have you checked for sparks while cranking it over?

Edit: And did you hear the fuel pump priming when you turned the ignition on?

Last edited by Luddite; 03-08-2021 at 07:32 PM..
Old 03-08-2021, 08:20 PM   #10
BeePee

I'll get new plugs when I'm in for the filter just in case.

I think I'll be selling it, having a mid life crisis !

The new V4 Multistrada has my attention so a test ride is looming, I've refused so far to even ride any of the Multis (still have my KTM 990 Adventure) because I know I'd want one !

KTM
VFR800
Monster for sale soon I reckon if it's as good as they say ?
Old 03-08-2021, 08:23 PM   #11
BeePee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Yes, the filter's are directional and you will see an arrow on the filter body, which indicates the direction of flow.
You say it spins up ok on the starter - have you checked for sparks while cranking it over?

Edit: And did you hear the fuel pump priming when you turned the ignition on?
I'll check the filter, sparking ok, or was, you can hear the pump priming too.

The debris looked like old fuel residue and there's a tide mark stain on the inside of the tank.
I've put about 6 tanks of fuel through it now from 13 miles to just over 800 this year, what a machine, great fun to ride and so easy to get on with.