UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New to Ducati's not so to biking

Old 12-09-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
Gaz66

New to Ducati's not so to biking

Hi All,

New to the site and Ducati’s not so new to motorcycling, with a little over 30 years behind the bars I’m ashamed to say I’ve never even had a go on a Ducati! I know shocking right.

Anyway to try and make amends I’m picking up a 2005 S2R 800 on Sunday, a nice looking red with white strips and white wheels and some funky aftermarket carbon end cans, the Ducati will be my other bike as I run a BMW S1000XR as my main bike. The Ducati is for doing a bit of solo riding and the odd track day.

I’ve done my research on the S2R’s and a full HIP check any words of advice? “every day a School day”! The bike has been serviced with new belts and so on, it has some service history and looking at the MOT logs at 25k looks like it did a bit of commuter work for a year or so, the rest looks like Sunday short ride outs and so on.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
S4R Dude

Bike: S4r
Hello Gaz66,

Welcome in, excellent choice.

All I would say is expect it to be different. I came to Ducati after many years on 4 cylinder bikes and found the twins very different but hugely enjoyable.
I find the twin is happy when over 30mph and all then seems to come together. It is very different from the BMW which really is a superb package.

Clutch will never be as smooth but the bikes are really nice. Forum is great too with loads of knowledge.
S4R Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #3
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
If this is your 1st Italian Bike then get yourself a multimeter, I was also 30 years in the saddle before I owned a Ducati and didn't use one until then, electrical gremlins (otherwise known as "character") will be your main issue I predict
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:46 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Should be ok with a 2005 bike, most but not all electrical issues were mostly those caused by poor quality components were sorted by then. Still reg/rec failures which seem to still be common but then a lot of Japanese suffer the same, its just not as well documented. Because Ducati have had a history of electrical problems they seem to get more press.

My '02 S4 Fogarty has had a couple of electrical issues, since in my ownership the last 6 years:-

#1 The Coil Stick started to fail when hot on the rear cylinder (and these are made by Nippon Denso so not even Italian, they're Japanese and used on a variety of Jap stuff too, CBR, GSXR) Super expensive from Ducati but cheaper s/hand from Honda/Suzuki.

#2 The crank speed sensor had an intermittent fault, that would occasionally throw up an error code on the dash. I think this is either made by Nippon Denso too or Bosch. I think it was around £50 quid fitted/re-shimmed etc.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
S2r is an excellent choice.... hello and welcome
Old 12-09-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The only real weakness's with the S2R 800 is the Adler clutch can give problems and the front brake calipers are rubbish. The S2R1000 is better since it uses the standard dry clutch. You can upgrade the calipers easily and cheaply enough with some nice goldline 996 4 pots and disks.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 02:08 PM   #7
Gaz66

Hey all

I have a multimeter but never used it as BMW never go wrong so BMW say!

When I can I'll post some photos of the S2R still you all know what they look like.
Old 13-09-2017, 07:28 PM   #8
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz66 View Post
When I can I'll post some photos of the S2R still you all know what they look like.
Welcome along- I hope you enjoy the Monster experience!

You're right we do all know what they look like but we also like photos A LOT plus the most important thing- we need to know what sort of bins you have too

As for advice, ride it and enjoy it- the best Ducati's I know are the ones that get used- they don't like being stood for long periods of time without being given a run and they don't appreciate being neglected when it comes to maintenance and servicing.

Only electrical gremlins my '97 900 has suffered in the seventeen years I've owned it has been a broken ground on the headlight wiring where it was too tight round the headstock meaning when I went on a full left lock the light went out and the passage of time meaning a good old fashioned clean up of the connectors and replacing all the ground connections with some proper quality cables so the motor spins up faster when starting instead of wheezing away giving the sprag a tough time.