UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » My new 797+

Old 25-06-2017, 05:04 AM   #1
itguy

My new 797+

Morning everyone

Well, what a busy day yesterday. Collected my new 797+ from Ducati Nottingham and had a great ride home.

I've had a couple of dukes before, a 696+ and an 848. Both had termis fitted.

Couldn't get on with the 848, hurt my wrists but it was just o-so pretty to look at. And that sound!!

The 696+ always felt a bit small for me. I'm 6ft1 and I always just felt a little hunched over, not quite comfortable. Also tried the DP comfort seat and it didn't really make things much more comfortable on the backside, still pretty numb after a few miles.

Now, the 797+. This feels like an old friend but a totally different bike all at the same time. It is bigger, so I fit it better. Less pressure on my wrists, quite low wind buffeting up until about 65-70, then it starts in ernest.

It's very quiet (exhaust) and even the intake isn't as noisy on the overrun and on wide open throttle as my old 696 was. I'm wondering if a Ducati do a DP air filter (like in the old 696 termi kit)?

I can see me getting the termi for this for certain, although it was eerily quite nice just wafting along without the massive backing track of the exhaust, but it just sounds so muted at the moment.

Handling-wise, too early to tell really as just scrubbing the tyres in and being careful but the early signs are good - seems to want to be quite neutral and not dip in with too much gusto in an unexpected way (my 848 used to scare me with how quick it tipped in).

Brakes - WOW, not even bedded in yet obviously but god almighty, they are serious..

Gripes, only a couple so far. Dashboard - why on earth do ducati give us average speed on the right hand side and nothing else as an option? No oil temp, no air temp, no range remaining on fuel, no mpg etc etc. Yes there are two trip computers and a trip timer (oh and a clock) but that's it. Poor show really.

Last gripe - seat comfort. Ok it might be me needing to adjust to it (I know the seat won't bed in), but I did a 50 mile ride home yesterday, 1.5 hrs (slow traffic!) and my backside was numb at the end.

Do I try the DP comfort seat for this monster or do I do something else? Thoughts?!

Ducati Nottingham - big thumbs up, very helpful, nice people and did me a good deal. I know it's standard but it is also a nice touch to have the proper trickle charger included with the bike too.

Apart from that, loving every second and it didn't even rain on me yesterday.

Old 25-06-2017, 09:16 AM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Nice write up... Nice grin... And a whole new generation of Monsters for us old guys to learn about!

It's all about contact area for posterioral comfort. I recently covered just over 1100 miles in 3 days on my Monster. I don't deny that I had a little shuffle in the saddle from time to time, to try and adjust the pressure points. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it was painful, but slightly uncomfortable at times.
For the last 200 miles I did an experiment with a piece of bubble wrap tucked under my pannier straps, which did seem to make a small improvement, and at least made my wife giggle when I arrived home.

I had contemplated tucking the bubble wrap inside my trousers, but decided not to engage in this on the busy forecourt. However I did get to thinking about some form of wearable padding... Quilted pants perhaps?
Come to think of it, it would probably be more practical to wear some such, over the trousers and might become quite a fashion among motorcyclists, especially if they were styled with a large S on the front.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 25-06-2017 at 09:18 AM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #3
Allstar

Yay, another 797 joins the fold! 👍🙂

About the lack of info on the dash, I wonder if mpg & temp can be added via software update seeing as it's the same dash unit as the 821? Perhaps something to ask when it goes in for its first service.

I find the seat v comfy but them I've got a naturally well covered bottom 😄 Definitely get a rumbly exhaust - you can't have a quiet Ducati!

Enjoy the new beasty, I'm enjoying mine 👍
Old 25-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
Maggsy

Bike: M696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Nice write up... Nice grin... And a whole new generation of Monsters for us old guys to learn about!

It's all about contact area for posterioral comfort. I recently covered just over 1100 miles in 3 days on my Monster. I don't deny that I had a little shuffle in the saddle from time to time, to try and adjust the pressure points. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it was painful, but slightly uncomfortable at times.
For the last 200 miles I did an experiment with a piece of bubble wrap tucked under my pannier straps, which did seem to make a small improvement, and at least made my wife giggle when I arrived home.

I had contemplated tucking the bubble wrap inside my trousers, but decided not to engage in this on the busy forecourt. However I did get to thinking about some form of wearable padding... Quilted pants perhaps?
Come to think of it, it would probably be more practical to wear some such, over the trousers and might become quite a fashion among motorcyclists, especially if they were styled with a large S on the front.
I've found a pair of padded cycling shorts do the trick 👍
Maggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 12:56 PM   #5
Maggsy

Bike: M696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar View Post
Yay, another 797 joins the fold! 👍🙂

About the lack of info on the dash, I wonder if mpg & temp can be added via software update seeing as it's the same dash unit as the 821? Perhaps something to ask when it goes in for its first service.

I find the seat v comfy but them I've got a naturally well covered bottom 😄 Definitely get a rumbly exhaust - you can't have a quiet Ducati!

Enjoy the new beasty, I'm enjoying mine 👍
Bike looked and sounded lovely Steve 👍
Maggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 01:01 PM   #6
Allstar

Thanks Simon 👍 No Monster ever needs a brown paper bag 😄
Old 25-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #7
itguy

Thanks for the replies guys - I do cycle quite a lot so have a variety of padded 'stuff' so must try that at some point

Re the dash - that would be v cool if it can be coded. I do wonder...