UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Regions :. » Region Announcements » Northern Ireland » holy crap 5 years since my last post on here!

Old 11-03-2018, 11:13 PM   #1
ricky
5ft 3 of perfection!!

Bike: M620
Smile holy crap 5 years since my last post on here!

Hi all! wats the Craic?!?!

Any new Northern Irish monster owners here?

I WAS checking in once a year but I seemed to have let that slip!

Ive been still nosing on here now & then, mostly on the 'how to' and 'for sale' sections as ive a goal to buy an s4 very soon!!!

Well just in case anyones wondering wat ive been up to... (I'm sure they havnt!) ive got married, bought a new house with a built in garage and have owned another 5 bikes. At the moment in the stable there is my trusty little 620 monster! An fzr 1000 and a fazer 600. I also have a trike that I am currently building to sell to buy the aforementioned S4!!!

I have my UKMOC patches on my waistcoat and every year look forward to my yearly email about the DOC kits! lol

If anyone is planning to come to the emerald isle this year please make sure to give me a shout... I usually go to the NW200 and Ulster GPs and my local bike club is actually hosting our 1st road race!! Speaking of clubs, I have my own called SHORT ARSE MCC make sure to add us on fb!

drunk:
Northern Irelands answer to common sense-NORTHERN IRELAND REP!!
ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #2
BLUNT

Hey Ricky, you're not concerned about this suggestion are you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopintime View Post
If possible and with presidential willingness: delete, by default, all 'members' without activity during the last one/two years. The remaining group will feel closer and an online 'vote' will be good enough.
This club is a clique which by definition is "a small close-knit group of people who do not readily allow others to join them."

They are mostly London-based (although not all) and meet for breakfast at the week-end and have a Christmas meal together to reinforce the social bond.

This is not just my opininion and I once saw the UKMOC referred to as 'The London Club'

The rest of us are not really wanted anyway and the suggestion about deleting members will please many of the clique.

Don't worry about it.
Old 12-03-2018, 12:27 PM   #3
Nottsbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUNT View Post

This club is a clique which by definition is "a small close-knit group of people who do not readily allow others to join them."

They are mostly London-based (although not all) and meet for breakfast at the week-end and have a Christmas meal together to reinforce the social bond.

This is not just my opininion and I once saw the UKMOC referred to as 'The London Club'

The rest of us are not really wanted anyway and the suggestion about deleting members will please many of the clique.

Don't worry about it.
I'd have thought being in London would enable you to join them and exclude the rest of us...
Old 12-03-2018, 12:49 PM   #4
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
....... "who do not readily allow others to join them."
.........The rest of us are not really wanted anyway......
I don't agree with either of these statements.
In fact I disagree with them strongly.
However you do raise a valid point regarding the "lapsing" of membership.
Unfortunately you only address the issue from one side.
Criticism is easy, solutions are harder.
I'm a midlander btw.

Ricky .. I will get the monster over to Ireland at some stage.
Will give you a call.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #5
ricky
5ft 3 of perfection!!

Bike: M620
Yeh i guessed something was up when i got the recent email... the forum is a great source of knowledge and should be available forever!! But if u had to sign on at least once a year or quarter or watever to keep it active then i would agree with that. With today's social media its certainly a much different world than 2005 when i 1st joined!!

drunk:
Northern Irelands answer to common sense-NORTHERN IRELAND REP!!
ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 01:54 PM   #6
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:

Don't worry about it.
I've only been a "partime" member for a year or so and perhaps experiences vary from person to person?

I will say that I have recieved a fair amount of advice & friendly chat. I can't honestly say that I paid a great deal of attention to the area where every reply came from, but some were certainly poor devils who live "dahn Saf" - even a few from the smoke!

This site for me has been a good experience which is why I continue to log in.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:40 PM   #7
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
Quote:

Don't worry about it.
A few truths there
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 07:14 AM   #8
Maggsy

Bike: M696
Quote:

Don't worry about it.
Not my experience!
Met guys from East Anglia, Midlands, London and all over the UK on the Coast to Coast run and felt very welcome.
Local group also friendly. Pedro, who is is one of the club officials, lives in Wiltshire and was only too happy to take a couple of us newbies for a spin after one of our breakfast meets last year.
I think this post is a slap in the face for those people who give up a lot of their own time to run this club and forum, organising the Weekender, sending out annual membership packs etc. I, for one, am very grateful to them.
This forum is full of useful info and comment, that’s why I log-in most days.
Old 13-03-2018, 09:04 AM   #9
Shuffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggsy View Post
Not my experience!
Met guys from East Anglia, Midlands, London and all over the UK on the Coast to Coast run and felt very welcome.
Local group also friendly. Pedro, who is is one of the club officials, lives in Wiltshire and was only too happy to take a couple of us newbies for a spin after one of our breakfast meets last year.
I think this post is a slap in the face for those people who give up a lot of their own time to run this club and forum, organising the Weekender, sending out annual membership packs etc. I, for one, am very grateful to them.
This forum is full of useful info and comment, that’s why I log-in most days.
Well said Maggsy! I couldn't agree more. I've had the pleasure of meeting lots of people from all over the country at various club events over the years, quite a few of them I now consider to be life long friends. I can honestly say I've never met anyone in the club who wasn't welcoming and friendly. I generally find if you make the effort and actually go out and meet people, rather than make assumptions, you'll come away with something positive. Clubs like ours are run on good will, spare time and a lot of effort by a few for the many and I think that should be applauded. It's just a shame that a some people don't seem to share that view.
Old 13-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #10
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Well said Maggsy and Shuffy.
In fact there are so many bigoted untruths there that its hard to know where to start.
Backed up by the pseudo-evidence of one anonymous "quote" with no context.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #11
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
Perhaps BLUNT feels like UKMOC is cliquey simply because he is a twat. It's hard to like a twat.
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #12
Nottsbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzi View Post
Perhaps BLUNT feels like UKMOC is cliquey simply because he is a twat. It's hard to like a twat.
That's his standard approach I believe
Old 13-03-2018, 11:50 AM   #13
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Not all that easy to get the exact numbers without direct SQL database access:

Users logged on since 01/03/17 = 936
Listed as M400/Other Ducati/Not a Ducati/No bike = 144
Since 01/03/17, London = 88
Listed as M400/Other Ducati/Not a Ducati/No bike + London = 14
Not in the UK = 131
Obvious regular UK users who where lazy with registration details 23+ (including Mr Blunt who didn't want to use his real name)
Listed as M400/Other Ducati/Not a Ducati/No bike + NotUK = 22
...Lazy registration or Eire = 10
Listed as M400/Other Ducati/Not a Ducati/No bike but really in London = 1
131 - 23 + 22 - 10 = up to 120 Registered users not listed below

936 - 120 = 816+ Active UKMOC Members

88 - 14 + 1 = ~75 in London (~9%)

Registered with DOC = 149
of whom passengers/non-members = 14

149 - 14 = 135 (~17%)
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 11:51 AM   #14
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottsbiker
I'd have thought being in London would enable you to join them and exclude the rest of us...
Thanks for the support Ben, if you were in London I'd have dropped off the spare cans I gave you a couple of years ago and saved you the postage, but hey-ho people have short memories.
This forum is a 'vehicle' that makes it relatively easy for someone to set up a local meetings etc. if there isn't one there already, sorry no-one in Nottingham could be bothered in the last few years. FWIW the other club you're a member of seems far cliquier to me.

Nice work choosing to quote stopintime from another thread BLUNT, Lars isn't a member by definition, as he's in Norway but his input is still valued, which is why we keep the forum as open as possible. He's also a nice guy, since he actually goes to events on his bike and I've met him at Misano.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUNT
All clubs are by definition cliques ya ****ing idiot.

Quote:
Absolute bollocks (see figures above) apart from the fact meeting up for meals etc. is more in the nature of a club than a clique per se.
I spent a couple of years sitting in cafes every month wondering whether someone else would show up, eventually we got a decent social group together meeting for breakfasts, going on rideouts (anywhere but in London!) and for a while organising a monthly social drink in town. Every meeting was posted on here in advance, specifically to try to make the club as inclusive as possible. Unfortunately trying to engage people in London isn't easy given the general 'getouttamy****ingwaycan'tyouseeI'minahurry!' attitudes. This, folks moving away from Monsters or the city and minor personal differences mean this group has largely falled apart now.I couldn't say whether you bothered to slip out from beyhind your keyboard and attend any of these since your registration is incomplete. Although on the odd occasion you stop typing like a troll, you're clearly articulate and technically knowledgeable.
Perhaps whover's running the club in future will be more rigourous about registrations and delete your account?

Quote:
But it is your opinion? I've only ever heard that once before, can't remember who from perhaps you're quoting yourself? isn't that how fake news spreads, just repeating bollocks without checking it out?

Quote:
Absolutely wrong but I've had a few requests to get rid of you, I have trouble seeing why I resisted now. The reason we've avoided pruning the database is last time someone tried it broke the forum.

Quote:
Don't worry about it.
I'll try not to

Quote:
Originally Posted by capo
A few truths there
As above, not really any truth I can see. Thanks for your support too though Stewart.
Perhaps whoever runs the club next will also be less willing to run around re-affiliating folks who've had nothing to do with the club whatsoever for two years and ignored all my emails, at very short notice, when they suddenly realise they're no longer eligible for discount WDW tickets?

all hate mail to the usual address, thanks

... and thanks to those who've actually voiced their support

Last edited by slob; 13-03-2018 at 11:54 AM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #15
Maggsy

Bike: M696
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottsbiker View Post
That's his standard approach I believe
He's certainly a silly blunt!