UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Service quote opinions / sense check

Old 14-04-2014, 01:34 PM   #1
turbohobbit

Service quote opinions / sense check

Guys,

I’ve just called ProTwins for a quote for a service for my bike. It’s done 6,000 miles rather than the magic 7,500 and is 2 years old in September, so they are recommending doing the valve clearance check and replacement cam belt now rather than in a few months time (which will cost more then as the bike will be in bits now anyway). On top of that, I’ve obliterated my front brakes to the extent that I have started to plough into the discs, so that’s replacement pads AND discs.

The whole sorry list is:

Pads: £65
Brake clean: £65
Small service, valve check, and new cam belt: £450
Brake discs: £400

Total: ~£1000

Is that about right or am I getting a bit fleeced? Sounds like a lot of money for what I originally thought was going to be a straightforward service.
Old 14-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #2
Black Bob

Bike: M1100evo
I had to have new discs on my naughtily bike several years ago and they're not cheap, so the 400 quid doesn't surprise me too much.

I think "fleeced" is putting it a bit strongly. PT would soon go out of business if they went round "fleecing" people.

Not cheap, this motorcycling lark, is it?

What other quotes have you had?
Old 14-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
turbohobbit

Ok, maybe fleeced is harsh. It was the best I could come up with at the time.

This is the only quote so far. I wanted to go back to PT as they did a good job after my stack, but I wanted to see where the land lay (hence the post) as I have no frame of reference.
Old 14-04-2014, 01:58 PM   #4
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
they are main dealers so the prices are a little high but not excessively so for the south east

for £450 i would expect full service inc belts and valve clearances adjusted (not just checked),

what are they doing for the £65 brake clean? removing and stripping and re-building each calliper ?

you could prob save 15-20 on the pads and £50-100 on rotors if you shop around and buy aftermarket. even more if you buy 2nd hand rotors
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
turbohobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkatronic View Post
what are they doing for the £65 brake clean? removing and stripping and re-building each calliper ?
Yup, I believe so.
Old 14-04-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
Black Bob

By the way, 500 quid is about right for the 7.5k service it seems :

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=46396

And I'll be able to confirm this myself before too long as mine has just gone to that very place for that very thing. The belts are about 40 quid each I think, and I'm having those changed even though they're only a year old, as they have to come off anyway. So my bill will be bigger, I'm sure.

I really rate ProTwins. Just wish they had a loan bike or two!
Old 14-04-2014, 04:37 PM   #7
pompone
MaleDucati

Bike: M900
I'm with Funkatronic on this, when you get shims checked and adjusted you get charged for new ones but rarely (if ever) get the old one back. With rotors get some pre loved ones and you'll cut a couple of hundred quid off your bill. Also get your own pads.
Old 14-04-2014, 07:12 PM   #8
turbohobbit

Sorry, I'm being properly dense here... Is the suggestion that I present PT with the kit to fit, or I do the fitting myself? I'm not sure I trust myself to play with brakes...
Old 14-04-2014, 07:13 PM   #9
wezrvf

Does seem like a killer the 7.5 service but that does seem steep. Getting the discs at the same time is the killer really isn't it. Mine is going in for its two year service next week but got that thrown in when I bought the bike so not worried plus it only has 5k on it. I have asked them to check valves and shims which they said they would. So hopefully that should set me up for another year of free riding. Not looking forward to the next one though !!
Old 14-04-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
turbohobbit

Yup, the discs are the bummer. £200 each, but I've found some on the Flea for £60 each, hence my last (densish) question.

The killing joke is, the bike is 2 years old in September but actually sat in the dealers for 9 months having had only 214 miles put on it, so theoretically the 2 years riding isn't really up until this time next year. Does the belt actually need doing in that case? I'm not so sure. Still, I'm not an expert in this area by along chalk!
Old 14-04-2014, 08:48 PM   #11
mart64

Recently had my S2R serviced at Pro Twins £512 for 6k service plus a few other minor things , can't fault them so will be going back again
The free advice they give is refreshing and worth while, I have pc3 fitted they checked the fueling was correct and set up right all included with service.
Old 15-04-2014, 07:27 AM   #12
Black Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohobbit View Post
The killing joke is, the bike is 2 years old in September but actually sat in the dealers for 9 months having had only 214 miles put on it, so theoretically the 2 years riding isn't really up until this time next year. Does the belt actually need doing in that case? I'm not so sure. Still, I'm not an expert in this area by along chalk!
Don't skimp on the belts - the only advice you'll get here is to change them if in any doubt. The 2 year thing is more to do with the age than the mileage and if it has sat doing nothing for that length of time it's arguably worse for the belts.

Change 'em.
Old 15-04-2014, 08:03 AM   #13
wezrvf

Defo worth getting them checked but I was told by my ducati dealer certainly get them changed at the right time under warranty but once out of warranty he has seen them last a lot longer than two years so just play it by ear once out of warranty.

I will be interested to see mine after 2 years compared to a new one. Is there any signs of wear or is it all internal in the rubber ???
Old 15-04-2014, 08:34 AM   #14
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I have 19y old discs on my m900 still good.

My 2002 with 17k has also stock discs so my question is what did you do to kill yours in such low mileage/time?

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #15
turbohobbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint aka ML View Post
I have 19y old discs on my m900 still good.

My 2002 with 17k has also stock discs so my question is what did you do to kill yours in such low mileage/time?
Honestly?

I rode like a twat.

I ride in a lot of heavy / slow moving traffic on my commute to and from work every day, and I have developed the REALLY bad habit of riding the front brake and clutch instead of balancing the back brake with the clutch. Net result is I've chewed through my pads in short order, and they have now started chewing through the discs. Needless to say, it's a habit I'm sorely trying to break (and I'll be checking my pads more often too...).

Last edited by turbohobbit; 15-04-2014 at 08:41 AM..