UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Slow Monster rebuild

Old 07-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #196
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
There you go that's what it looks like.

The bottle is only about 4" tall and has a mounting bracket.

The fork shaped thingy is the feed nozzle, which dribbles oil to both sides of the sprocket and thence into the O-rings both sides of the chain. Seems to me that the supplied, or suggested mounting method of that is a bit Mickey Mouse, but your bracket would hold the nozzle firmly in just the right place and make a worthwhile job of it.

It's an early version of the kit with just a squeezy bottle (simple). Later ones have a fancy button to fill the delivery tube.

You just squeeze some oil into the delivery tube before a run and it runs down onto the sprocket. How long it dribbles for depends on the oil type I suppose, and how much you squeeze out.

You can use any oil you like. I would probably use saw chain oil. Olive oil is good apparently.. I wonder what Castor oil would be like?
Old 07-07-2017, 06:19 PM   #197
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
What happens when you park up? Is there an off tap?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:26 PM   #198
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
It will only deliver the oil that you squeeze up into the tube. So if you are only going to have a short hop it would probably be best not to squeeze it at all.

The tube comes out of the top of the bottle you see, so the bottle can't empty itself. You just charge the delivery tube with however much oil you think is appropriate for the journey... Not very much most of the time, I would imagine?
Old 07-07-2017, 07:00 PM   #199
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
That is a very kind offer Mr Gazza, unfortunately not yet having made the seat I do not know if it would fit , from the picture it looks to be too big for the space I will have available. In any event before seeing your post I spent the better part of this afternoon cutting bits of cardboard to make up templates for a reservoir/ breather catch tank. Cardboard is not actually much good for this because it is too flexible so I ended up cutting it in 1mm aluminium. That also has its disadvantages because if you use tin snips for longer cuts you have to bend the sheet to clear the pivot point and this means that the final finish will be compromised. My jigsaw always seems to snag on the last 10m of a cut and this also bends the sheet aluminium.
My proposed design sits on the left side alongside the bell crank for the rear suspension and is above and below the oval cross brace tube and finishes with a flat bottom (in which I shall mount a tap) just to the rear of the rear exhaust header as it goes through the swinging arm. Pictures to follow next week when I have something solid to show.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:15 PM   #200
350TSS

This morning I spent making the bobbin to hold the rubber band that will secure the rear of the petrol tank. I pondered on the diameter of the bar to be machined, 40mm say would be good for spreading the load into the carbon fibre but not so good aesthetically or for sealing as the tank as moulded has a double curvature at the point where the bobbin needs to be mounted. I settled on 25mm and included some "O" rings in the design. The bobbin part was turned down to 10mm and this was threaded to engage with the "nut on the inside of the tank (which will most likely be bonded in.
l
Old 07-07-2017, 08:24 PM   #201
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Bad luck Gazza I guess you're stuck with the Loobman! Have you tried Craigslist?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 04:24 AM   #202
350TSS

Wife decided to work from home today and strangely enough I never get much garage time on "those" days.
Here are some pictures of the first draft oil breather catch tank / chain oiler reservoir in aluminium and cardboard.

[img]
https://s21.postimg.org/h7ukzslt3/Catch_tank_mock_up_4.jpg[/img]
Old 11-07-2017, 06:28 AM   #203
350TSS

Old 11-07-2017, 06:30 AM   #204
350TSS

Just arrived in the post from China a tap for the gravity chain oiler. Not bad quality for £5.73 delivered
Old 11-07-2017, 06:58 AM   #205
350TSS

I will have to modify the inlet and outlet pipes. I will remove the existing brass bits and replace on the inlet side with a 12mm aluminium boss which at one end will be welded into the tank and at the other turned down and threaded 6mm to engage in the body of the tap. There will be a thinned down 6mm nut to allow for orientation of the tap with the operating lever facing to the rear. The outlet side will be threaded 6mm to engage with the tap body then turned down to fit inside the clear plastic windscreen washer delivery hase.
I toyed with the idea of making the outlet pipe the restrictor "jet" by drilling it with my smallest drill (1mm). This was rejected because 1. there will be a dael of buggering about with jet sizes and oil viscosities to get the correct level of lubrication rather than a short term saturation, this alone warrants a separate component, easily changed. The easiest place to change the jets will be at the end of the delivery pipe next to the sprocket
Old 12-07-2017, 05:24 AM   #206
350TSS

Tap now modified
Old 13-07-2017, 06:54 AM   #207
350TSS

Delivery jet now machined in brass, I tried to make an aluminium one but 3 times swarf grabbed the 1mm drill and broke it (despite copious application of WD40 whilst drilling). With half a drill stuck in the work piece they became scrap. Brass really is lovely to machine. Picture below was taken before final skim and tidy up

Old 13-07-2017, 11:31 AM   #208
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I always use paraffin as a cutting fluid for aluminium.
As far as I know, it is the preferred cutting fluid for aluminium throughout the engineering industry.
WD40 may work ok though .. I've never tried it myself .. but paraffin applied by brush is a lot cheaper than aerosol wd40 and may solve your problem.
I've drilled many holes of 1mm or less without problems using paraffin, but without it the ally swarf tends to "weld" itself to the drill bit.
utopia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 07:16 AM   #209
350TSS

Utopia: I would ideally like to have used paraffin but had run out and the nearest known location to buy any was/is a 30 minute round trip away. I think that the chief ingredient of WD40 is paraffin, but I might be wrong.
Old 14-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #210
350TSS

Spent Wednesday, a horrible rainy day, on the computer compiling a project job list with things to buy and estimated times to complete.
To date I have had a fairly relaxed approach to the project, drifting out to the garage with a huge mug of tea, settling myself on my stool and admiring (or passing a critical eye over) my handiwork, considering what to do next and how to do it. If the truth be told also avoiding the too difficult jobs (making wiring looms) or the jobs out of my comfort zone (spraying CF resins).