UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Dukedesmo's M900 project - the intro...

Old 13-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #121
He11cat

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedesmo View Post
new security system, hotwired to the door handle - try to steal the bike or open the door and...

love it !!!!!!!!!!
Old 13-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #122
He11cat

Loving the pipes as well...
You have cracked on with this my dear !
Old 13-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #123
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Proper job.
So, the big question that I'm dying to ask.....does it stop the cans flapping or just keep them fully engaged ?
The right can is still a bit wobbly as the slip joint is a bit loose so it 'pivots' in there, I have tightened it up a little and it's not as bad but I'm not fully happy with it.

Maybe some silicone/sealant will steady it, I once assembled my 916 exhaust with 'Gun gum' to seal some minor leaks and it worked great - except it was a pig to take apart later but these are more accessible and only 1 pipe at a time (916 has 2 pipes together). Or I could fit another spring on the outside?

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #124
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluestoesonnose View Post
If you put three on it keeps them engaged if you have a good fitting slip joint.
Three what, springs?

Old 13-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #125
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by He11cat View Post
You have cracked on with this my dear !
2 1/2 years in the making, although I've made alot of progress recently. Hoping to be done by May...

Old 13-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #126
He11cat

Better to take your time and be happy then blunder through and then not be happy and start sorting stuff out again ...

It's doesn't matter if it takes years its what you have at the end of that time
That's going to be one quality top build .
Old 13-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #127
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
The right can is still a bit wobbly as the slip joint is a bit loose so it 'pivots' in there, I have tightened it up a little and it's not as bad but I'm not fully happy with it.
Maybe some silicone/sealant will steady it, .... Or I could fit another spring on the outside?

Actually, I now remember that I had pondered setting the spring loops so that the spring pulled at a slight angle across the joint, so as to impart a slight inward twist to the link pipes.
Sorry, I should've remembered that bit earlier, although it may not be enough of a twist to actually work, but then again it might, and every little bit helps.
As I said before, mine lock solid when they're twisted inwards, and in what looks like the right position too.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #128
Dukedesmo

So, as a test I fitted a couple of clamps to the slip joint. Need to go very tight to actually do anything but, combined with the springs it holds it nice and solid.

Very much a 'belt & braces' approach but stops the cans moving about...

Old 30-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #129
Dukedesmo

Its alive...

So finally got the oil pump fitted and engine closed up, spent ages fitting the belt covers (don't let anyone tell you Ducati carbon fibre is the best) as the holes didn't line up or have inserts in them but got it done and finally built the bike up.

Fuel tank leaked from the sender/pump connection as the nut was mangled and wouldn't thread straight, luckily I'd bought a spare billet alloy replacement nut some years back for the 916 but never fitted it and that solved the problem. So having tested the fuel pump/connectors etc. I decided to give it a go.

Took a few cranks but it started up, runs a bit lumpy and pops, farts & backfires at low RPM but it's running, sounds good at higher RPM and picks up nicely but the front cylinder exhaust is much hotter that the rear so I need to sort this out.

Not sure if the rough running is down to the carbs or ignition but no leaks and it didn't go 'pop' so I'm happy for now.

As it looks now;

The white cable coiled up by the tank is a USB cable to the Ignitech ignition so that I can make changes without having to lift the tank to connect/disconnect.

I'm new to the Ignitech and found the manual a bit vague but with an updated version courtesy of Liam at Fast Bike Gear http://www.fastbikegear.co.nz/ along with his suggestions of where to start with the advance I reckon I've got the hang of it.

Still want to fit a TPS to the carbs to get a better ignition setup and that's a job on the 'to do' list. BTW anybody with Ignitech unit wanting a better manual should contact Liam for his updated version.

Last edited by Dukedesmo; 30-03-2013 at 08:00 PM.. Reason: 'Thumbsup' not working.
Old 30-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #130
Nottsbiker

Looks mint mate - well done!

Not a fan of the fairing or the high levels but thats just my personal taste.

I see you have a wavey rear disk, are you getting fronts to match?
Old 30-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #131
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nottsbiker View Post
Looks mint mate - well done!

Not a fan of the fairing or the high levels but thats just my personal taste.

I see you have a wavey rear disk, are you getting fronts to match?
Thanks, I always wanted the hi-levels and the fairing has grown on me plus it helps with a few issues.

Not getting wavey fronts, actually don't really like wavey discs but they're lighter and I'm not much of a rear brake user so happy to fit one at the back but not at the front.

Still working on the steering damper mount and the bike leans a bit too far on the stand for my liking but I may need to alter the ride height yet as I have the rear riser bolts and there is quite a lot of 'extra' thread on the rod ends that I may need to remove before extending the stand.

Still quite a few jobs on the 'to-do' list but I just couldn't resist firing it up.

Old 30-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #132
Phatty

Stunning! Awesome build thread too.
Old 31-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #133
Dookbob

Hats off to you DUKEDESMO on a lovely thorough rebuild.
Old 31-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #134
Akita Boy

Great looking bike. Top marks.
Old 31-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #135
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Sweet as, great work.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote