UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Dukedesmo's M900 project - the intro...

Old 20-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #136
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
First rideout...

Took the bike to the dyno this week to see if I could get it setup but it was popping and farting too much due to inconsistent timing, was like riding a bucking bronco to get there.

Anyway whilst there we tested it with a standard Ducati ignition setup and it ran nice & clean making good power on the run-up, although a tad lean but it wasn't having it with the ignitech.

Back home and I'm messing around with the ignition and we had noticed that my laptop was doing a few odd things with the ignitech software whilst at the dyno so I loaded it onto another laptop and made a new map with the same settings, loaded that and bingo it runs.

Still pops on the overrun, slight improvement after fitting the larger main jets that I got from the dyno shop but it's rideable.

A quick run to calibrate the speedo (need to ride at a known 30mph to get it reading correct) and I return with an oil leak, fortunately turns out to be from the oil cooler fitting crush washer seeping so tighten it up and now leak free, replace melted fuel overflow line - was touching the head and out for a proper ride around my local 'test track' approx 70 miles.

Other than popping on the overrun, occasional spitting back through the carbs at low speed/RPM and a slight surging under 5k it ran very well and it's now loosening up some from the rebuild, a little anti-social with the noise and I got quite a few 'looks' but a good result overall.

Suspension is a bit harsh so I need to get into that, may need softer springs at the front as the forks are ex my 916 and whilst they worked very well on that (although maybe a tad soft) the Monster should be around 20kg lighter. Getting these things right is likely to take me more time as best to make small changes one at a time I guess. I've already changed too much in one go with the build so I reckon I'll be a while optimising everything.

Next step is to get back to the dyno to optimise the fuelling & ignition timing and see what it'll make.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 06:05 PM   #137
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Awesome... Are you going to bring it over to the weekender on the 5th? I'd love to see it in the flesh
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #138
Dukedesmo

Weekender...

Possibly, hopefully if everything's working well enough. I take it the weekender is on both Sat and Sun?

I'd only be a day tripper but I'll certainly try to make it.

Old 20-04-2013, 07:01 PM   #139
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Billiant, this thread has been an inspiration
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2013, 06:59 AM   #140
Spike

Great rebuild, I've loved reading it, will have to catch up with you and Utopia at some time.
Old 25-04-2013, 07:56 PM   #141
Dukedesmo

So, back to the dyno today. Changed a few things, bigger carb main jets and adjusted the the air and pilot jets, still running a tad lean at lower RPM so need to up the pilot jets but, finally it's running cleanly and pulling strong at all speeds - no more backfiring through the carbs at low revs and just a 'nice' amount of popping on the overrun.

Had a problem with the dash cutting out which seems to have been caused by a loose fuseholder, hopefully all sorted now.

Not quite 100%, but probably 95% there now and certainly enjoyable to ride rather than just 'challenging' especially at low revs when pulling away from standstill as I don't need to slowly feed in the revs any more to prevent stalling.

Engine's still got less than 200 miles since rebuild so maybe still a little tight but making 90hp and 68lb/ft so not too shabby either and certainly enough to make the front end feel a little light.

Old 25-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #142
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
So, back to the dyno today. Changed a few things, bigger carb main jets and adjusted the the air and pilot jets, still running a tad lean at lower RPM so need to up the pilot jets but, finally it's running cleanly and pulling strong at all speeds - no more backfiring through the carbs at low revs and just a 'nice' amount of popping on the overrun.

Had a problem with the dash cutting out which seems to have been caused by a loose fuseholder, hopefully all sorted now.

Not quite 100%, but probably 95% there now and certainly enjoyable to ride rather than just 'challenging' especially at low revs when pulling away from standstill as I don't need to slowly feed in the revs any more to prevent stalling.

Engine's still got less than 200 miles since rebuild so maybe still a little tight but making 90hp and 68lb/ft so not too shabby either and certainly enough to make the front end feel a little light.
your only 5hp down on a 1100 so thats not so bad eh !
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #143
Dukedesmo

One more trip to the Dyno after having changed the pilot jets and needle clip position. Couple of adjustments and the fuelling is now spot on, was too lean at low to mid throttle but runs nicely now.

Have also had a play with the suspension, lowered the rear a little and raised the front as I had it a bit too nose heavy, still need to sort the damping etc but am pretty happy with it now, just some minor ongoing fettling to do.

Have to say the lads at SPR are highly recommended for dyno and other work, really know their stuff.

Old 04-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #144
cactus

Bike: M900ie
Nice machine, well done.
cactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:21 PM   #145
Bigxr

I have some great advice... print out this whole thread, include lots of your brilliant photos and make it into a book.
The thread and all the replies/comments have made it truly unique. It's been an obsession reading this, and every couple of months I have to read it all over again its just so inspiring!
I'm a fan!
Old 09-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #146
Nottsbiker

If you are passing through Nottingham one night email me and drop in for a coffee (decent of course!).

bikerben1000@googlemail.com

Not on here that often for PM's I'm afraid!

Ben
Old 09-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #147
Mark Taylor

Hi Tim, A top class thread altogether, just one question remains tho - how much
you can't put a price on the journey, or the destination for that matter
Happy monstering mate - Mark.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #148
theandyb

This thread is brilliant - thanks for sharing!
theandyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #149
Dukedesmo

Thanks all even got a prize at the weekend - might have to tie it to the front like in 'The Wid One', although that maybe a bit too

Been messing with the forks as they are way too firm and despite making them much better (preload wound fully out) I have come to the conclusion that I need softer springs.

Also I expect there'll be some 'evolution' over the coming weeks/months etc. but overall I'm pretty happy with it.

Although I do have a bit of a problem;

And, yes I know this is a Monster forum but when I go to the garage, which to chose?

Old 22-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #150
Dukedesmo

So, to update;

Bike now done a couple of thousand miles, loosened up nicely and running well (some of you have seen it) using a little more oil than I would have liked, not 100% sure why (probably rings?) but am hoping it might settle down a bit now that I've reworked the breather and added another cooler? Otherwise sorted a few problems and made a few improvements.

Fitted softer fork springs so that I have some suspension as previously was too hard - now much better.

Re-worked the footpeg position and heatshields, bit of a compromise as I would have liked them a little further back but the brake master cylinder is as close to the pipes as possible - may re-visit this in the future with a different rearset setup?

Extended the sidestand as it was leaning over at an alarming angle - not helped by raising the ride height.

Fitted a TPS to the carbs so that I can have a more flexible ignition map - runs much smoother and throttle response is instant! still a bit lumpy under 3k but that's to be expected given the engine build & lack of flywheel weight - will still blowback through the carbs if running too low RPM in a higher gear but not really a problem and otherwise behaves itself.

Fitted an electric fuel shut-off valve to prevent the possibility of fuel leaking through the carbs when stopped (a few have had this with FCRs).

Had a few 'Loctite & torqueing' sessions to replace/refit bolts that have shaken loose or fallen out!. Fitted extra support brackets between bars & screen to stop the screen from vibrating at certain RPMs!

Today's quest was to fit a second oil cooler as it does run hot; around 90 - 95 degrees at cruising speed on the open road and very quickly gets very hot if in traffic.

I had a problem with the hose setup; I have feed/return hoses for the high cooler and return from the low cooler but was missing a link between the two.

Over the course of the build I have acquired various cooler fittings & hoses including an oil cooler feed hose for a Multistrada which is very long and for now this fits although I have had to make a 'loop' around the intake manifold to lose the excess length!

Anyway works fine (excess is hidden) and initial test run shows around around 5 - 6 degree drop in cruising temp, still heats up in traffic but will cool quicker once moving so looking good.

Here's a few pics taken today;

Does anyone have any info on the oil cooler hose 'O' rings? as I could do with a few spares? Appear to be approx. 8mm (ID) 10mm (ID) & 1mm thick and green in colour (Viton?).

Any suggestions also on custom made cooler hoses, or specifically one to link upper & lower coolers on the left side?