UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Dukedesmo's M900 project - the intro...

Old 20-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #91
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah blah View Post
Looks a bit like the oil pressure switch connector thingy
I'd say side stand switch
Old 20-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #92
DrD

Side stand and Rear Brake Liight switch use same type of connector - given the location side stand.
Old 26-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #93
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Mystery cable is for the sidestand, not a starter preventing switch just a stand down indicator.

Anyway as the airbox is no more I've been busy relocating electrical bits because it's getting a bit cramped under the tank.

Made a stainless steel mounting plate for the coils to fit them at the front. Ignition module and headlight relay by the battery;

Needed more space for the starter solenoid, headlight ballast & fuel pump relay, used a piece of carbon-fibre for the 'upper deck';

Now that everything's connected, I need to sort out the mass of wiring which is starting to look like a plate of spaghetti, 'Spaghetti Bolognese' if you like;

Made a mounting bracket for the dash.

164mph, not bad for an air cooled Monster.

Night time view;

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #94
Petej

What a superb project, enjoying this thread, keep it coming!!!!!!

Pete
Old 28-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #95
Dukedesmo

Not got much done for a couple of days but was test fitting a few parts today and found a couple of problems:

1. Headlight has no threads in the mounting holes, just large square holes in the side of the casing - don't know if it is a proper Monster headlight that they're missing from or what? Are these inserts or part of the light housing? Also need to get/make some support brackets for the screen, if I'm fitting it.

2. Fitted the exhaust which looks good, but when tightening up the manifold nuts the exhaust pipes are loose in the cylinder head - the pipes are not pulling in enough, only by a couple of mm but they wobble around. Have tried with 2 manifold gaskets and sits OK albeit a few mm further out of the head but I reckon I can 'compress' the gaskets with a good torquing of the nuts to get a good position - anyone had a similar problem?

Here's what it looks like now;

Old 28-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #96
Petej

In my honest opinion.... I'd go without the screen, just don't suit the monster personally.

Pete
Old 01-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #97
buffalo4

Hi, have you used Renthal Flat Bars?
Cheers Ian
Old 01-03-2013, 08:28 AM   #98
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalo4 View Post
Hi, have you used Renthal Flat Bars?
Cheers Ian
Yes, I had to use risers so that the bars would clear the fork tops (916 forks are longer than Monster forks plus they have long adjusters on top) this meant that normal bars in risers would be too high, the flat bars put your hands at roughly the same height as standard bars without risers. Plus I like the look of the flat bars.

Old 01-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #99
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petej View Post
In my honest opinion.... I'd go without the screen, just don't suit the monster personally.

Pete
I'm still undecided but I quite like the idea of a little wind protection. Easy enough to remove though...

Old 01-03-2013, 12:32 PM   #100
Petej

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post
I'm still undecided but I quite like the idea of a little wind protection. Easy enough to remove though...
Exactly, I've kept mine and should I do long distance it's only a quick switch!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #101
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukedesmo View Post

Needed more space for the starter solenoid, headlight ballast & fuel pump relay, used a piece of carbon-fibre for the 'upper deck';

Now that everything's connected, I need to sort out the mass of wiring which is starting to look like a plate of spaghetti, 'Spaghetti Bolognese' if you like;
My concern looking at that would be that ram pipe spitting fuel (cold engine / FCR's = fuel and fire spitting) over those nicely placed electrics, are you planning some sort of guard

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #102
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato View Post
My concern looking at that would be that ram pipe spitting fuel (cold engine / FCR's = fuel and fire spitting) over those nicely placed electrics, are you planning some sort of guard
Actually that picture is deceptive as the carb intake is well below the electrics - the coil is mounted near the top of the frame void and the relays etc even higher, the only risk would be if the air filter catches fire! Maybe some shields in front of/above the carbs would be a good idea though?

Old 02-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #103
buffalo4

I'm liking this alot
Old 11-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #104
Dukedesmo

So been doing the 'little' jobs over the last few days, you know those small and easy jobs that will only take 5 minutes but end up taking most of the day - like fitting brake fluid reservoirs, seat locking mechanism etc most of which I've had to fabricate something due to having non-standard parts or bits missing.

Had to remove most of the wiring to get the throttle cables fitted to the carbs but all back in place now just need to tidy up the wiring to the frame.

One thing on the exhausts, the link pipes push into the mid-pipe but are a little loose. There is no means of fixing; no springs or cut in the outer bore to allow it to close up with a clamp so what is the normal approach? - exhaust sealant? I'm considering welding on a couple of spring tabs to pull them together like at the can to mid-pipe joint. Seems odd that Ducati didn't do this but I suppose the stock low-level pipes maybe a tighter fit?

Old 11-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #105
Jan (Belgium)

I remember having the original clamps on my old 800 with high level termignoni's.