UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » How do you ride in the frost ??

Old 14-12-2007, 02:31 PM   #31
Mand

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
No Mand, I don't use my Monster for work, too much of a faff to get it out of and in to the back garden. Which is the same if I want to just pop to the shops if I don't have the car.
Not sure why I asked that question to be honest. I had an idea of suggesting you get yourself a naff scooter (like my good self) and use it just for zipping about on. Not a faff but you will just look like a nob on it. If I can get away with it (just!) I am sure you can!

Anyway back to the thread, I actually used my car today and skidded the length of the cul de sac braking for a cat and then got to my destination and nearly slipped arse over tit when I got out of the car it was so icy.

My advice to you Justin, catch the bus tomorrow!

You know it makes sense.
Old 14-12-2007, 02:53 PM   #32
MilesB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand View Post
A 125 hey? Some of us resort to using a 50cc.
You need to 'Feel the Power' - Indicated 60mph 2-up, and 70mph downhill - which is scary in any conditions . When I eventually wear out the 125 I may go for a 250. The scoot is my 'car' and gets abused... Financially it's already paid for itself (both capital and running costs) against the cost of going by bus, and is now saving me money

Miles
Old 14-12-2007, 03:06 PM   #33
Mand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesB View Post
You need to 'Feel the Power' - Indicated 60mph 2-up, and 70mph downhill - which is scary in any conditions . When I eventually wear out the 125 I may go for a 250. The scoot is my 'car' and gets abused... Financially it's already paid for itself (both capital and running costs) against the cost of going by bus, and is now saving me money

Miles
I can relate to that Miles. The scoot is my dad's, I doesn't cost me a penny to insure, when I had it put on my policy Ducati Insurance said it didn't make any difference to the premium, the petrol consumption is ace, I can use it for a fortnight before filling it up and then it costs me in the region of fiver.

It costs £3 return on the bus daily or if I had to park £6.60. Plus the fact it only takes me 20 minutes on the scoot zipping through the traffic, if I was in the car, it would double the time getting home.

I just get loads of ribbing from my work colleagues though - like I care!

Mand
Old 14-12-2007, 03:21 PM   #34
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Hey people, lets be careful out there...
(from Hill Street Blues - for those that remember)

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 06:56 PM   #35
David Matthews

Bike: S2r 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
Hey people, lets be careful out there...
(from Hill Street Blues - for those that remember)
One of the best television programmes ever, I've got the first two series on DVD but there's no plans to release any more.
David Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #36
Duncan

Theres 2 kinds of ice, the black ice that you dont see and the frozen run off water thats easy enough to spot providing you arent going too quick.

In cold weather your tyres never get much heat in them and its going to feel like roding on marbles till about March.

Biggest hazard I find is this new slippery treatment the gritters are applying, with a bit of dampness on the road it goes greasy as hell. Frightened JR the other year when he was following me and I had my back wheel spinning in a straight line. I was wondering where the drive had gone, thought the chain was broke at first.
Old 16-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #37
Stafford
P3, nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
Biggest hazard I find is this new slippery treatment the gritters are applying, with a bit of dampness on the road it goes greasy as hell. Frightened JR the other year when he was following me and I had my back wheel spinning in a straight line. I was wondering where the drive had gone, thought the chain was broke at first.
Is that what it is, great, had two slides this morning under braking and nipping out of a junction. Some of the grit is in piles in places, someone should sue the council.
Bike now back in garage where it will remain as I'm a southern softie.

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2007, 03:49 PM   #38
Chris & Nean

I noticed this about the gritting this year too, its been cold of course but the suns been shining and the roads should be dry in the daytime, out in the sticks along little country lanes they are, their dry and clean but the main roads stay damp and greasy and black all day from the gritting.
Old 16-12-2007, 04:54 PM   #39
David Matthews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Nean View Post
I noticed this about the gritting this year too, its been cold of course but the suns been shining and the roads should be dry in the daytime, out in the sticks along little country lanes they are, their dry and clean but the main roads stay damp and greasy and black all day from the gritting.
It's like that around our way, I went to Yeovil a couple of days last week and the roads were damp and greasy all day.

I came home on the B roads one day and they were better on the whole. Unfortunately farmers tend to drive over the verge on narrow bits, rather than wait. Mud gets spread right across the road. The bike was plastered by the time I got home.
David Matthews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 08:55 AM   #40
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Well frost wasn't a problem on Saturday morning when I had to take the bike out, but slippery tarmac was. Luckily I wasn't doing any twisty roads but I did manage to get a lovely wheel-spin away from one set of lights when I gave it a bit too much twist-and-go.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote