UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » 696, Motard, M900 - oh what to do!

Old 09-11-2007, 04:07 PM   #31
Thumper

LOL, mixed views there.

I really dont like the plumbing but at the end of the day I need an all rounder as I ride every single day all year round. I cant afford the S2R or the S4R and theres more on them I dont like than the S4 (hides from Jerry)

Just phoned Nick at DWR and hes arranged to have the bike checked over prior to my test ride tomorrow. I like DWR I rate them highly and have no doubt I am buying a quality bike from them and if something went wrong they'de look after it.

The S4 has everything I want in a Monster, good quality powerful engine with proven ability, adjustable suspension front and rear, quality brakes and proven reliability. All that makes a good package for me as my Monster will be commuting, hooning at weekends, going drag racing, taking on trackdays, going abroad touring and looking pretty. It does all of those 100% except the last where it drops a few points for mainly being yellow with a radiator, but with a bit of Thumper attention the last one shouldnt be a problem (pink pink pink, its going pink lol)

Thanks Pedro, all being good tomorrow I'll be after that slave cylinder of yours!

I'll update ya tomorrow after me ride
Old 09-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #32
barbican

It looks great and the yellow and red should go well with the pink accessories will you paint the rad pink?

Hope you enjoy the test, cos it realy does look in nice condition
Old 09-11-2007, 05:06 PM   #33
Scotty

what your looking at is possibly the best Ducati of all time

an S4 in yellow of 2001 vintage they just don't come better than that to be honest, OK the wheel colour is bad and the lack of a yellow seat cowl is kind of annoying

as regards fitting other bits rear sets will , exhausts might not there's a whole load of other part numbers for the S4 exhausts

cam and rocker covers blatantly wont fit,

and cowl might

the modification you want/need is the full on power up exhaust kit (inc sps cams makes it the monster it should have been)

things to look for

oil around the base of the rear cylinder = its a classic

being an old S4 if your very unlucky there may be a rocker problem later in life but its about the time it was all ironed out apparently

oh in my experience I wouldn't drop teeth on the front sprocket , rather add to the rear

Old 09-11-2007, 05:58 PM   #34
Thumper

Cool!! Thanks Scotty you seem like just the man for the S4!

I'll check all those things tomorrow, DWR have been kind enough to let me try and fit my megaphones to it to see what bits fit and what dont.

If I get "Daffodil" your Private Message inbox will be suitably attacked
Old 09-11-2007, 08:46 PM   #35
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryXt View Post
Will, you're back on the naughty stair again

The S4 really does everything. Touring, trackdays and hooning. Monster riding position, storming engine and excellent value.

Good job Ms T. Daffy looks lovely! You might even get to like yellow
Naughty stair - oh well never mind I can take it.

Hmmmmm - the red and white S4RS is a seriously cool looking bike - the vanilla S4 is exactly that really, plain vanilla - it's begging to be customised to make it special. Not sure if I'd do any serious touring on a Monster, the riding position is a bit cramped for 500 mile days.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:09 AM   #36
Gim

But its.......Yel... no cant even say it !
And to think for another 500 quid you culd have had the shiniest most gorgeous looking black s4r.......
Old 10-11-2007, 08:56 PM   #37
Thumper

SOLD!

Oooooooooo I lurrrrrrv it!!!

Clutch wasnt an issue at all. Gearbox is pretty stiff and clunky but the chain was a tad loose and dry. Its fast, oh so fast, loadsa power, naffer than naff fly screen that kept distracting me as I was waiting for it to fly off and hit me in the head. Horrid slippery tyres (MEZ4) so gonna get some new ones on it (suggestions?). The seat is GOING, I nearly slid off the side going round the first roundabout and it slams you into the tank when you brake. But I love it and it wheelies in 2nd gear

Its getting a service and new belts so I'll be the proud owner Tuesday or Wednesday next week.... oooooo I cant wait!

Whilst I was filling the paperwork in upstairs a fight commenced

As you can see Pinky got SO annoyed he self combusted

Old 10-11-2007, 09:21 PM   #38
gremlin

Ah bless, you won't be selling Pinky though will you? I mean he is our wonderful Fazer eating monster mascot!
Old 10-11-2007, 09:29 PM   #39
Scotty

congratulations, roll on summer
Old 10-11-2007, 09:29 PM   #40
Thumper

Yes, sorry, Pinkys gone in part exchange. Already have my CBR400 track bike that I could never sell and 3 bikes is just plain greedy (and my banks gonna kill me)

Pinky is a fantastic bike and I've had 6,000 very happy miles on him and hes certainly left his mark everywhere hes been! He just wasnt 100% as an all rounder and being 1996 hes a bit tired now and needs more money put his way to be the bike I wanted it to be, which I wasnt prepared to do considering how much its cost me so far. I needed a little more oomph for longer journeys, better suspension and his carbs were suffering in the cold.

I am sure he will attract another lady owner that will love him as much as I do. And then they can join here and we'll have our Fazer eating "monster" back!

Never fear though, 'Daffy' is going PINK and you've now got a new shiny UKMOC Fazer eater, Pinkys bigger brother!
Old 10-11-2007, 10:22 PM   #41
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
Well done MsT. Maybe get the fork oil changed unless it's been done recently.

BTW, Kato put a brembo radial brake master on the Xt for me tonight. MUCH better than the standard bit of cr*p that was on there. You still have to put a lot of effort in, but the bike does stop better.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:20 AM   #42
Thumper

OK cool, thanks Jerry I'll ask DWR if they can do the fork oil for me too.

Last night I managed to rack up £2,750 worth of accessories via the interweb so I altered the parental controls to stop me visiting all the Ducati related websites and eBay. However I need to come on here for obvious reasons so I gotta be careful with the "For Sale" section

Glad you got the XTs brakes sorted, they are a touch wooden so nice to have them sharper! Brakes on the S4 are superb, stops on a dime that thing does!!

Oh for gods sake, 2 days to go (taps fingers on desk impatiently)

Oh yeah.... Scotty, the rearsets wont, they look different, the seat doesnt fit and I'm not too sure about the exhausts, will try them on when I get it home. I am gonna pinch the seat cowl off Pinky and see if that fits. My mechanic is going to make up some lovely alloy brackets for the fly screen so I can secure the top to the master cylinder brackets for the clutch and the brake, should stop it flapping around so much.

With regard to power mods, well that will be left for a while, its powerful enough at the minute and I need to get used to it.

I'd also quite like some flat renthal bars as the clipons are quite strange, any ideas on that one?

Cheers all
Old 11-11-2007, 09:43 AM   #43
Scotty

I could feasibly buy you old clip ons off you if the price was right (i.e. dirt cheap)

ref power mods, you say it wheelies in 2nd , mine doesn't
Old 11-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #44
Thumper

LOL, was overtaking traffic in 2nd gear and the front was definately up, ok we are not talking jimmy fireblade proportions because I think a 2 inch wheelie is HUGE. It was off the ground though and I had a face like this for the next 10 minutes

You can only have my clipons cheaply if you tell me where I can get a flat bar conversion from