UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » 97 M900 Chop kits

Old 01-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #31
CarloL

Bike: M900
It can be turned off , but I think it is a good idea as it puts focus on you , making drivers aware of your presence

I am sure we are all culpable of going into auto mode , especially on a bike you want a visual aid to highlight your presence

I think Modern cars have the quick succession of rear led intensity under heavy breaking
CarloL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:04 AM   #32
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
I love my flashing brake light, and if it confuses people who see it then all the better.

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:13 AM   #33
yusaf1

Bike: M800ie
I have the tail chopped, led integrated rear lens and mini rear indicators, works fine and passes an mot no problem.
yusaf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 10:39 AM   #34
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Well, each to their own .. and good luck with it.
All I'm saying is that I have followed monsters with integrated rear lights behind a smoked lens and I have completely failed to notice that they were indicating until they turned unexpectedly.
I've also followed monsters with flashing brake light systems into fast turns and when the light went on, my immediate reaction was simply confusion.
For your (my) own safety, confusion amongst the drivers around me is the last thing I want to create. I fail to see how that can possibly be "all the better".

Tinted windows and spinning hubcaps .... anyone ?
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:33 PM   #35
CarloL

Will fit the LED rear light and see how she looks , if I chop the tail , not too sure , will try with just the beer tray and go from there, would like to avoid it if I can

Each manufacture of these units will have different LED specs / lumancy , I really dont know till I fit it , it has provisions for OE or aftermarket side indicators (Video on youtube looks like it is good quality high lumancy unit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7VAkYDmWko

Will look into the rapid brake light, probably will turn it off

If anybody has suggestions for aftermarket side indicators , are visible please let me know! Loads on ebay , its hard to tell what is good/bad

Thanks for all the advise , duell noted
CarloL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 02:30 PM   #36
Dirty
Bockloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
I've also followed monsters with flashing brake light systems into fast turns and when the light went on, my immediate reaction was simply confusion.
For your (my) own safety, confusion amongst the drivers around me is the last thing I want to create. I fail to see how that can possibly be "all the better".
It wakes you up and makes you think. Someone with a 'confused' mind is going to be far more alert than someone whose mind has got so used to seeing brake lights that reaction to them has become a subconscious thing.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:27 PM   #37
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Ha ...I might have known that you would come up with a supporting argument with at least some believable logic behind it.
But I think that your application of that logic is misplaced, and also gives far too much credence to a minority point.

When I wake up confused, I'm immediately and instinctively distracted by the burning questions .. "where the feck am I and what the feck is going on ?" .. its a subconscious reaction over which I have little control.
I might feel fully awakened but I remain distracted until I have first dealt with the confusion.
On the road I like there to be no need to even approach such questions.
Old 02-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #38
Dirty
Bockloks

But you can't compare the confusion of the first moment of the day with the 'confusion' re wondering what someone's brake lights are doing. It's a completely different situation. If you are in the same mental state when riding a bike as when you first wake up then I'd suggest you give up riding asap!

Old 03-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #39
utopia
No turn left unstoned

If you're happy to rest your case there .. then so am I.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #40
Dirty
Bockloks

Perhaps the term 'confused' was a tad confusing.

My case is that the brain, in situations that it is familiar with, runs pretty much on automatic. In the case of driving it is used to 1000s of different situations and reacts accordingly without need to ,wake' the active part of the brain. When faced with a 'new' situation with which it is unfamiliar the 'automatic' responses shut off and hand over to the thinking part. I think causeing vehicles behind me to actively think is a positive benefit.

So yes happy to rest it there

Old 03-06-2017, 10:21 PM   #41
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Perhaps the term 'confused' was a tad confusing.

My case is that the brain, in situations that it is familiar with, runs pretty much on automatic. In the case of driving it is used to 1000s of different situations and reacts accordingly without need to ,wake' the active part of the brain. When faced with a 'new' situation with which it is unfamiliar the 'automatic' responses shut off and hand over to the thinking part. I think causeing vehicles behind me to actively think is a positive benefit.

So yes happy to rest it there
No confusion; your case is that you prefer people driving behind you to be unfamiliar and surprised.

I hope I'm not in the viscinity as that could easily be lethal.

Your choice though.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:35 AM   #42
Dirty
Bockloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
No confusion; your case is that you prefer people driving behind you to be unfamiliar and surprised.

I hope I'm not in the viscinity as that could easily be lethal.

Your choice though.
No, I prefer them alert, awake and aware. If a couple of flashing lights is all it takes to make you a danger to be near I hope everyone is not in your vicinity!

Last edited by Dirty; 04-06-2017 at 05:51 AM..
Old 04-06-2017, 06:37 AM   #43
Darkness

So do I: I like quiet roads.
Hell is other people*.

* JP. Sartre
Old 04-06-2017, 08:03 AM   #44
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
One thing to consider: LED tail lights tend to be quite bright, so there can be less difference between tail and brake light intensity. If the driver behind you glances away just before you brake, they may not be aware you're braking once they look back... at least a flashing brake light solves that problem.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 01:53 PM   #45
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
No, I prefer them alert, awake and aware. If a couple of flashing lights is all it takes to make you a danger to be near I hope everyone is not in your vicinity!
And how does the flashing of a brake light (which you would naturally expect to be continuous) increase the AWARENESS of the following rider/driver ?
I can only see that it reduces the awareness by adding ... CONFUSION.

Safety info should be simple and require the absolute minimum time to interpret, leaving maximum attention focussed on the job in hand .. that's why road signs are generally pictorial, for example.

No offence mate but you're arguing like a bad politician, picking up on any issue which can be re-interpreted in a different context in order to further your argument.

In addition to the confusion caused, I have two further (but admittedly lesser) reasons to dislike flashing rear lights ...
1) It shows a lack of respect for other drivers, since you are prepared to compromise a warning system.
2) They're just trashy (in my personal opinion).

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
One thing to consider: LED tail lights tend to be quite bright, so there can be less difference between tail and brake light intensity. If the driver behind you glances away just before you brake, they may not be aware you're braking once they look back... at least a flashing brake light solves that problem.
I would assume that the brightness of leds applies to both the tail light and the brake light, and so a following driver would still notice the difference in intensity between the two.
But I accept that too much brightness can be a problem in other ways, which is why I opted to change the clear lens (covering my array of red leds) to a red one, since it increases the depth and intensity of the colour without too much added brightness.
And goodness knows, its already like the high street at Christmas out there, with everyone running extra lighting in the belief (mistaken, in my opinion) that it makes them safer.
I've even seen double decker buses with running lights in the middle of a hot summer day.

In all these cases, I would not expect to need to wake the following driver up, as I will already have shocked him into alertness with the noise from my unbaffled termis as I overtook him a short while ago.