UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » How do you ride in the frost ??

Old 13-12-2007, 03:32 PM   #16
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
Exactly as Jerry and the others say (potential spoof band name).

I find it's the corners where you need to be most careful, as they tend not to defrost due to lack of use and the chances of exactly following a cars track where there is less ice is less likely.

Hey - how did you know I was called Jerry!
Old 13-12-2007, 03:39 PM   #17
Headhunter
THFC

Bike: M620ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryXt View Post
Hey - how did you know I was called Jerry!
Bloody good guess! Either that or I'm a weird stalker and know where you live. DOB. What your occupation is and what your hobbies are now.

Anyway I'm of to, err...... (Classic Simpson's episode if anyway remembers it where Homer is a stalker and sits at the table pretending he's not going out to stalk). Christ today is dragging!

Sir Winston Churchill
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2007, 04:21 PM   #18
kevm

Exclamation

I agree with all of above, but watch it if your journey involves anything in the countryside, especially where overhanging trees keep the road shaded, This can sometimes result in frost being there all day. take care. Kev.
Old 13-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #19
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand View Post
Correct! And make sure you wear your vest tucked into your pants as well. Not nice having a cold back.
What kind of vest do you suggest Mand, you seem to be a font of useful knowledge on this topic
Old 13-12-2007, 05:13 PM   #20
nambduke
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
Givent he current spell of very cold weather, anyone got any advise for me riding in these conditions ?
I've done rani, plenty of rain, but none of these frosty mornings and I need to use the bike on Saturday morning for a short trip.
DON'T........

Sorry guys, been there and got the tee shirt and had one huge moment on ice which was held in spectacular style.....since then, dry winter days for a quick blast and summer evenings and days only!!
Old 13-12-2007, 07:52 PM   #21
gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
What kind of vest do you suggest Mand, you seem to be a font of useful knowledge on this topic
I would have thought one of those nice Damart ones which go right over the bum and keep everything nice and toasty. Of course you could also get the matching longjohns.
Old 13-12-2007, 08:39 PM   #22
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by gremlin View Post
Fit stabilisers no probs then!
Mine has got stabilisers and it's still staying in the garage

The gritters are out again here tonight, and I didn't spend 3 months and a lot of cash building the trike to get it ruined by road salt. Got lots of jobs to do on both trike & the solo that'll keep me busy until spring anyway
Old 13-12-2007, 09:44 PM   #23
Chris & Nean

I put Motrax muffs on mine today, my hands were a little warmer I must admit, I found myself on the bypass and opened the bike up a little, the engine immediately started over revving, ‘hey up’ I thought? wheel spin in icy conditions, not so though… the muffs had collapsed from wind blast on too the clutch lever. These Adler clutches sure have a light pull. It said in the Motrax advertising blurb on the packaging (Will NOT collapse on too hand controls) like yeeeah.
Old 14-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #24
Mand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
Oh yes, I am full of useless crap.

I think he ought to go down the purple nylon vest with matching Y fronts, a bit early 70's, or do we call it "retro" now?
Old 14-12-2007, 11:12 AM   #25
MilesB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand View Post
Carefully.
And you managed to miss out "Don't use the Monster!" - which is why the sensible amongst us have something a little bit more 'disposable'.

When the weather is like this, I use the 125cc twist and go scooter dosed in Scottoiler FS365 - bike stays in the garage until the sun comes out!
Old 14-12-2007, 11:14 AM   #26
Mand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesB View Post
And you managed to miss out "Don't use the Monster!" - which is why the sensible amongst us have something a little bit more 'disposable'.

When the weather is like this, I use the 125cc twist and go scooter dosed in Scottoiler FS365 - bike stays in the garage until the sun comes out!
A 125 hey? Some of us resort to using a 50cc.
Old 14-12-2007, 11:17 AM   #27
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
I might have to do that and buy another little bike for general transport as I've only one car and the wife uses that a fair amount. But everytime I look at a little bike, I find myself drifting over to the Big bikes !

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 11:19 AM   #28
Mand

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
I might have to do that and buy another little bike for general transport as I've only one car and the wife uses that a fair amount. But everytime I look at a little bike, I find myself drifting over to the Big bikes !
Do you use your Monster for travelling to work?
Old 14-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #29
Seb_uk
Bronze Member

Bike: M695
A copy of the Sun stuffed down the front of your jacket helps to stop the draft. Sounds daft but it works - just about makes my 40 mile ride to work bearable in this weather.
Seb_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2007, 01:21 PM   #30
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
No Mand, I don't use my Monster for work, too much of a faff to get it out of and in to the back garden. Which is the same if I want to just pop to the shops if I don't have the car.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote