UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Running on one and tried all I know - HELP!

Old 26-09-2004, 04:16 PM   #16
IpauloGTS

Crankcase Cover Removal

Well here I still am almost two months later without a running bike. Does that seem a bit excessive to wait for a simple part to anyone else? Not one single word of communication from Ducati Coventry or U.K. nor a reply to an email sent to Italy. Now there's customer service for you!!!

In the meantime I thought I might encourage them by preparing the job. Managed to borrow a puller and I've followed the procedure in Haynes but find that the cover won't come all the way off because it comes up against the casting where the side stand bolts on! No mention of this in the book.

Has anyone else had this problem and can it be resolved by removing the left hand footrest hanger? (or at least loosening it at all the fixing points).

Generally pissed -off with Ducati but haven't yet got out the lump hammer.

Paul.
Old 26-09-2004, 04:57 PM   #17
A Yerbury

I've had my cases on both sides off this year and yup, bloody awkward. The gear levers and hangers/ cans need to come off too, watch out on the lh side tho as the lower hanger bolt secures the side stand (which you guessed it comes off too) removing these things is dead easy but a pain. I also used a sharpie (pen) to mark the angle of the lever so putting it back in the right place was less of a chore.
Alex
Old 26-09-2004, 08:37 PM   #18
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
Bike: M900
If it6 makes you feel any better, I have been waiting for an essential camshaft and pulley since June. Isn't the factory wonderful , eh? Just 'cos they have nice riding weather all year, doesn't mean the rest of us have... Gits.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2004, 10:28 PM   #19
A Yerbury

Im sure EU working condition harmonisation will soon put a stop to this "holiday" nonsense...
Old 26-09-2004, 11:05 PM   #20
IpauloGTS

What? You mean they shut down for two months. Well if only I'd known I'd have bought something else for my daily transport!

Thanks Alex - got the cover off by removing the bolt by the sidestand and just loosening the next one. No sign of a gasket or any 'instant' stuff either. It hasn't been leaking oil either.

Paul.
Old 26-09-2004, 11:24 PM   #21
A Yerbury

the instantaneous gasket should resemble a perkilly grey shade of rubbery goo, comes in a tube with attachments for attachment. Its called 3 bond and looks like ducati toothpaste would look like if they made such a product (and why not? we have ducati "writing machines") I digress....costs about 8 quid a tube, good luck with the reassmbly and ongoing electrical situation!
Alex
Old 01-03-2006, 05:41 PM   #22
Woodsy1

Forgot to note which wires go where!

I did the same thing as IpauloGTS. I forgot to note, or more like just cant remember, which way round the the red and white wire go into the left/horizontel cylinder CDI. Had to take them out of the two-pin terminal to get them through the casing to change the pickups. I tried putting the wires in both ways and both get a spark, so I'm a bit confused.

The pictures nik_the_brief posted are corrupted so I cant tell. Can anyone tell me which way is correct please? Just waited months for the part and now cant risk firing her up!
Old 01-03-2006, 06:16 PM   #23
nik_the_brief

Here ya go...

Reposted the original pictures, hope it helps mate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010060medium.jpg (30.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg P1010059medium.jpg (28.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 01-03-2006, 10:52 PM   #24
Woodsy1

Thanks, but now a new problem!

Thanks for the pics nik. Got it all wired up and went to start it for the first time in 5 months and nothing. Getting strong sparks its turning over but no BANG! Checked the spark plugs twice and they're dry. Drained both carb bowls and sure enough they're empty. I took off the tank for easy access to ignition, so is it possible that there is an airtrap. No mention of this in haynes manual! I guess the vacuum hoses could be nackered and not opening the fuel valve.

Looks like another late nite tommorow, Woodsy.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:57 PM   #25
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
If both the carbs and pump are bone dry, you may need to crank the engine over for a while to pull the fuel through. The pump's vaccum operated so the engine needs to turn over to make it work. Make sure the battery has a good charge, and check a fuel line isn't kinked and cutting off the supply.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:33 AM   #26
nik_the_brief

Gary's spot on (as always in these things).

I've run dry a couple of times because my fuel light doesn't work and if there's an air lock in the fuel feed it's a bugger to sort.

I found the best way to sort it was to take the hose from the intake of the pump and suck the petrol through until you've filled the pipe. I'd advise you not to smoke after doing this and try not to swallow!

Once reconnected I used a few squirts of Bradex Easy Start (Halfords now sell a Holts Cold Start instead but it's the same stuff - 24% ether). The engine should fire for a short while on just that and it will help to pull the fuel through the rest of the system.

Speaking from experience of both I found that it's much easier to do this in your garage that by the side of a dual carriageway in the dark with only a Leathermans to work with.

Good news its that you appear to have sorted your ignition problem though. Glad the pictures were of help.