UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » The wait is over.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:05 PM   #16
PeterPoddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by walpole68 View Post
How are you guys finding the gear shift,finding mine clunky at low speeds,does that go with a few more miles on it?
It was a bit stiff at first but it loostened up fairly quickly (200 miles?) and also improved after the first service (New oil does that to gearboxes!) TBH, it's a really good gearbox and clutchless upshifts are very smooth and natural.
I have hit a false neutral a couple of times, but that's probably me being too gentle with the lever.
All bike gearboxes are clunky at low speeds, IME, especially 1st to 2nd.
696s are very high geared, and I've just put a 14t front sprocket on (£17 for a Renthal, £50 for a Ducati one! Guess which I bought....) which has improved the bike noticeably. I was finding myslf using 1st gear a lot at low speeds, and now 2nd is more useable so I'm avoiding that 1st-2nd shift more now.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #17
walpole68

[I've just put a 14t front sprocket on (£17 for a Renthal, £50 for a Ducati one! Guess which I bought....) which has improved the bike noticeably. I was finding myslf using 1st gear a lot at low speeds, and now 2nd is more useable so I'm avoiding that 1st-2nd shift more now.[/QUOTE]

I must try this,top gear does seem pointless,didnt buy the bike for top speed so better accleration would be a better trade off.Will get it done at first service.Good advice.Thanks.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:34 PM   #18
PeterPoddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by walpole68 View Post
I must try this,top gear does seem pointless,didnt buy the bike for top speed so better accleration would be a better trade off.Will get it done at first service.Good advice.Thanks.

Yeah, get it done at the service. I forgot on the service and did it myself, and it's an ABSOLUTE BITCH to get the sprocket off without splitting the chain.
I had to remove the footrest hanger, which is connected to the sidestand, so you need a paddock stand of some sort, and you have to disconnect the gear linkage as well. Then you have to unbolt the clutch slave cylinder and slide it out a couple of inches. It's really tight for space in there! It's not hard with the correct tools (Like big sockets), just surprisingly time consuming.

Tell you what though, I've learned that the footrest hangers (Like the handlebars) are rubber mounted. Grab yours and give it a firm wiggle: It'll move a bit!

Last edited by PeterPoddy; 01-07-2008 at 04:42 PM..
Old 01-07-2008, 04:38 PM   #19
Josh

Walpole - thanks for the insight into your running in methods. Think I'll be following suit fairly shortly...

To the guy having clunky gearchange, I've no problem with mine. In fact it's really sweet.

Josh
Old 03-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #20
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Josh, having the performance ECU does iron out the gremlins - it also produces a really crisp feel to the throttle - making the std one feel very fluffy in comparison. (tho untill I changed to a race ECU I didnt pick up on this as much).
You've missed these out mate by having your termi's on at the start

She now sprints more clearly, feels lighter too (lost a lot of weight in removing the std cans) and dyno's a treat - well worth the upgrade to ditch the cats IMHO.

If you do the front sprocket it shouldnt take too long if you have a mechanical aptitude - just make sure you slacken the chain off too with the rear tensioners - like you'd do on most Ducati's anyway (so you dont need to listen to odd things about possibly splitting the chain)

C, still really enjoying the 696
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:07 PM   #21
JerryXt
everyone gets home safe

Bike: S4Rs
C, behave

Glad the cans are good. Happy? Make the bike feel better? Subjective, obviously.
Old 03-07-2008, 02:08 PM   #22
walpole68

Just back from another ride out,man i love this thing,clunky gear change now sorted thanks to new boots ! lol ! Am totally addicted to the intake noise,can only imagine the sound with the termis added bass to the rear as well.I never knew a middle weight bike could be so much fun.
Lovin it !

Last edited by walpole68; 03-07-2008 at 02:43 PM..
Old 03-07-2008, 02:11 PM   #23
neilbaldry

I'm waiting for Photos!
Old 03-07-2008, 02:14 PM   #24
walpole68

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbaldry View Post
I'm waiting for Photos!
Im trying,just said upload failed ! Best i can do is one in signature.

Last edited by walpole68; 03-07-2008 at 02:27 PM..
Old 03-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #25
walpole68

Hopefully this one works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00354.jpg (31.4 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #26
walpole68

How about this one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00355.jpg (30.9 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-07-2008, 02:59 PM   #27
PaulEllison

That looks well cool.
I'm going to the Ducati UK Monster Road Show at Rivington Barn, Lancs on the weekend
12-13th July to check them out and get my self a test ride..
Paul.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:45 PM   #28
ricky
5ft 3 of perfection!!

Bike: M620
aw crap.......... thats really nice!! love the swing arm!

drunk:
Northern Irelands answer to common sense-NORTHERN IRELAND REP!!
ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:57 PM   #29
benson

Never thought I'd say it but I like the white one! Having seen one in the flesh reckon they've got a lovely bike there...
Old 03-07-2008, 07:12 PM   #30
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
quick pic of mine (cans, that is!):

C
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote