UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » New Generation vs Old Generation Monsters

Old 01-03-2010, 01:44 AM   #16
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The new Monsters certainly are more powerful and new technology is probably an improvement but they look so Ugly so i wont be selling either my S4 or m750 for a new monster .
Old 01-03-2010, 07:49 AM   #17
Kato
Dismantled

Couldn't agree more Jerry, spot on mate........

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:00 AM   #18
cairojay

Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
The new Monsters certainly are more powerful and new technology is probably an improvement but they look so Ugly so i wont be selling either my S4 or m750 for a new monster .
I think my S4RS would make mincemeat of the new Monsters, also having ridden the 1100s whilst it is certainly very easy to handle and light it is also very skippy and doesn't feel as planted as mine. Brakes on the s4 are far more progressive and not as grabby as the 1100. they are completely different bikes and don't really merit comparison other than I think the 1100 is a better commuter bike.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:41 AM   #19
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Bike: S4
Have to agree with Jerry here - won't be selling my S4 for any of the newer models.

Evolution is a wonderful things but I do feel that whilst the technology has improved the mechanics the design/visual part has regressed. But again taste is a personal thing.

I choose my S4 for the grin factor and my Kwaka if I'm leading 60+ bikers on a run as I'm not as "involved" in the rider to bike relationship on the kwaka as I am on the S4 and leaves me free to concentrate on other things. This "not as involving to ride" aspect is something newer model Monster owners have also told me to be the case - but I'm sure there are others who'll disagree and to be fair sometimes it's very "tiring" to ride the S4 on long distances whereas the Kwaka is a "no brainer".

Ride several and chose the one you like - that way you'll be happy no matter what us lot say.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #20
Thirdway

Never heard such a lot of baloney

New Monster is ''not involving'' , in what dimension is that true? I have never had a Monster up until now, but most of my bikes have had a strong element of involvement (bar the Fazer 1000 and awful VFR800-now there was an ugly bike) and the M1100 is far more involving than any of them.

As for S4s and the like. Get over it, that bike doesn't compete with the new Monster anyway, you should be comparing it with the Streetfighter. The Monster was supposed to be a simple bike, so adding the complexities of the 8 valve water cooled engine and associated plumbing went right against the ethos. Of course the S4 is faster it's got a massive great sports bike engine wedged in the frame.

I don't think any of the aircooled Monsters look ugly. I prefer the more modern look but I'm not exactly against the old style either. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

One thing I really like about the M1100 is that it makes a half decent tourer. Really comfortable riding position compared to the older bike (for me that is). It aslo has a normal amount of steering lock........something my Street Triple and Speed Triple lacked.

They are all nice bikes, they are all fun to ride. The old generation Monster is not going to return to production and the new bikes will also be phased out in time. If you always buy second hand bikes this is no problem, but if you want a new bike with a warranty I'm afraid you have little choice if you still want a Monster.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #21
He11cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
Hahahaha That'll be me then cept for the good bit

And you have to feel happy to be seen on what you've got
Naughty step for you then.

Im not 100% happy with what I got but had to have it due to legs or lack of!
Make do and mend is the word..but still like the old monster!
Old 01-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #22
walpole68

Funny how road tests of the old bike never did very well but they love the new one,i like the look of S2/S4 but riding them feels like they have a hinge in the middle and i should have a HGV licence to ride one,so would i swap i 1100S in for a older model,i dont think so.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #23
Scootaboy

well, my opinion on the new shape has gone backwards and forwards over the last couple of years - from liking them more to liking them less to liking them more - but only just

Comparing my old 695 to the new one really puts things into perspective for me - the new 696 (in white) is amazing to look at, while the 695 is showing its age a bit.

I love the S2R but I think if I had the money I'd go for a new shape over the old (while still loving the old shape)

and they defiantely look better in the flesh (that is, the new shape looks better in the flesh compared to a pic of one on the internet)
Old 01-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #24
scrapps

I am with the old school boys and girls. Albie was very kind and let me have a play on his M1100 and its great to ride and i dont dislike the way it looks. But i still like the old school round light metal tank monsters. My 900ie has been great it still has the looks of the original but is free of carb problems of the 1st gen and not as costly as a S4.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #25
jerry
Old Git

I have ridden the New Streetfighter and Monster 696 and 1100 , The 696 was nice and light and the low seat is great for me with my pain and mobility issues and it went as well as my M750 But i could not get past the looks of the thing.....sorry its orrible !
The 1100 is very powerful and light and handles well and the finish is exquisite but NOOOO! i hate the look .

I like the streetfighter a lot ,but is it that much better than my S4 which is heavily modified ......sorry it has more power on paper but in the real world its not that much quicker If I had a spare £14,000 (£28,000 in Thailand ) i might be tempted ....no i will wait till they can be had for £4000.

I would rather spend £14,000 on the new Norton Commando .

I dont like the 848,1098 or 1198 either they look like Hondas ...but 999 YUMMY !

Last edited by jerry; 01-03-2010 at 04:30 PM..
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #26
Thirdway

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
The 1100 is very powerful and light and handles well and the finish is exquisite but NOOOO! i hate the look .
Now that is the right answer. Not 'It's ugly', simply put, you don't like the look and that is fine.

As to the difference between the S4 and the Streetfighter Don't like either of them, just anpther option if you don't like the Tuono/SpeedTriple/Brutale. been there and done that. Better off with a Hornet or a Street Triple IMO.
Old 01-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #27
JMo

xxx

(although the new ones are very nice to ride...)
Old 01-03-2010, 07:09 PM   #28
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
I hate these threads. They get all taken out of context. It seems to be we are not allowed to move on in things even though our bike makers Ducati produce a new shaped monster. Its the same concept but more nimble and powerful just like what you would expect in the real monster world. Its leaner and not necessarily better looking in all departments but as the word says its a MONSTER not a Barbie doll.

A monster is any fictional dangerous or hideous creature, usually in legend or horror fiction. The word monster derives from the latin word monstrum, meaning "omen", from the root of monere ("to warn") and also meaning "prodigy" or "miracle".

The word connotes something wrong or evil; a monster is generally morally objectionable, physically or psychologically hideous, and/or a freak of nature. It can also be applied figuratively to a person with similar characteristics.

I love old monsters and old bikes as much as you all to the fact I have a 1995 600ss now for a very good price. Now thats Pretty.

Lets get over this and try to help someone choose the path they may want to go down. I would love to have my m900 and s4 in the garage too but fact is I wouldn't ride them but just look a drool over them. The 1100s does it all and better than the s4 other than the more grunt. Just 6 hp down.

Long Live the Monsters all of them

Last edited by Albie; 01-03-2010 at 07:17 PM..
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #29
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Bike: S4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirdway View Post
Now that is the right answer. Not 'It's ugly', simply put, you don't like the look and that is fine.
That's rich coming from someone who started their earlier reply with "Never heard such a lot of baloney"
Old 01-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #30
uksurfer
Its all grey now

Bike: M1200s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I hate these threads. They get all taken out of context.
Quite agree, everyone has there own favourite

Old monster/new monster, water cooled/air cooled

Live and let live