UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Rear Shocks

Old 14-12-2019, 10:14 AM   #1
rac3r

Part of me thinks I won't be able to make the most of an all out upgrade so at the moment I'm thinking shock first and then probably the Andreani cartridge kit. Then I can ride over to Harris Performance and have them set it all up for me (After someone has fitted it because they don't do fitting )

Like this https://www.omniaracing.net/en/andre...0-p-19744.html
Old 10-12-2019, 10:26 PM   #2
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
S2r 800 front forks are pretty poor and they were the first thing I noticed when I bought mine, they lacked any feel and really crashed over bumps but I felt that the rear was alright if a bit soft / wallowy.

However I'm now running (occasionally!) ST4s TiN front forks and ST4s ohlins rear shock, and the difference is night and day - the forks came in a box with the bike with unknown history and the shock was bought second hand but both have been through MTC for a service and set up (stuck in a box and in the post, then returned a couple of weeks later and thrown on)

Now the bike feels a lot more settled when on a mission allowing me (you?) to not worry about what the suspension is doing but to just press on, find a corner, chuck it in, onto the power and away to the next... Lovely and with plenty of 'feel' although it has taken a bit of time to get used to as it's like a different bike.

The ST4s rear shock is virtually the same length as stock but the back of my bike was raised about 15-20mm (static) which suggests that the original shock had too much static sag despite trying to reduce it. The only problem I have though is the 2 reservoirs for the rear shock and where to put them - I've had the hoses changed twice and I still can't get them to fit as I'd really like them to, IE hidden under the seat and out of sight so they may get hung from the frame (or it may get sold and replaced)

I do have a spare ohlins spring if you fancied changing the stock S2r one (it was cheaper / quicker for me to buy a new ohlins spring than to get the old ohlins spring powder coated) and I have read that that can make a bit of difference to the stock shock.

If you aren't adverse to moving one of the coils and cutting other bits off then other Ducati shocks can be made to fit (IE 999) relatively easily and may be another slightly cheaper option.

And for the price of a set of fork cartridges from Maxton, you could get a used set of ST4s / S4r forks, then get them serviced / re-sprung and they bolt straight in, you'd also have cash left over for a shock - I also seem to remember that GSXR600 forks could be used but it's been a while since I've looked into it and I may have had a glass of wine or 2

If I had my time again, I'd probably go with the ST4s / S4r front forks (serviced and set up) and Nitron shock without the remote reservoirs so I didn't have to fug about trying to get stuff to fit where there isn't any space, but if it were one or the other then I'd go for forks first.

If you're in the area, you're welcome to have a look at mine.

Last edited by Blah blah; 10-12-2019 at 10:41 PM..
Blah blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:15 PM   #3
rac3r

The bike is a keeper so I plan to do it all bit by bit. Ideally I'd just like to change the fork internals rather than get new forks which are a different size which makes things more complicated/long winded. Also I don't I have a suspension place nearby so my plan is collect the parts and get Proteam to fit them (not sure I have the skill to DIY). Then if need be I can ride to Harris Performance to have the setup fine tuned.

Also on the comparison front I also have a CBR500 which feels like a sofa in comparison, but that is only on potholed city roads. I'm sure it won't be great when pushing on. I'm not looking to have the Monster become a sofa, I just want a bit more composure to give me that confidence in not going to be thrown off when I hit a bump. The bike I've been most confident on has been a second gen Street Triple R, I did no suspension mods or setup to it at all!
Old 11-12-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
Flip

Bike: M900
It can seem a bit daunting when you start looking at what's available, particularly when it comes to the forks.

If you don't want to go down the Maxton route of them junking the original internals and fitting their own cartridge conversions, then the first thing to find out is what can be done to yours using what is in there. This will range from basic spring change to one of a more suitable weight matched to perhaps different weight fluid to re-valving and shims tuning.

Changing forks for those from a better spec'd model is great in principle (it's a bit more difficult to find some for the earlier bikes with 17mm axle, different brake callipers and front mudguard etc.) but you do need to know which ones are going to fit and can still bring it's own problems if as I said earlier you are at either end of the weight spectrum.

If that's the case then you will likely need to change springs anyway, along with any other valving adjustments that are required and as with most modifications, this is made more awkward (expensive) if you are then going to get someone else to do the labour fitting them etc.

The rear shock is probably an easier decision as much of it can be down to how much you want to spend as even the cheapest will be better than a tired bouncy original but if the bike is a keeper as you say, then consider the future costs of getting it serviced- do the manufacturers offer that service themselves such as the likes of Öhlins, Nitron etc. who know what they're doing and will have the parts or will you have to trust a third party to carry out what they can and hope for the best?

Or worse and it be another 'consumable' type unit like the original where you'll be going through this again in a few years time.

My advice would be as Jez has done most recently, ping out some emails or better still chat, either in person or on the phone and get a feel for the people you'll be dealing with.

Factor in a time scale as those companies who supply race teams will be getting booked up soon ready for the new season and people who are busy are usually busy for a very good reason and those who aren't....well that's probably for a very good reason too.
Old 12-12-2019, 03:38 PM   #5
rac3r

I emailed Maxton but they were unable to advise without having the bike there, which I can't do because it's bloody miles away.

Anyone know any places near London? Harris Performance can do setup but that's it I think.
Old 12-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #6
Flip

What did you ask them exactly?

I’m surprised they weren’t able to advise you as they must have done loads of Showa forks for road use and the Desmo Due racers etc.

They’ve never needed to see the ones they’ve done for me (my Monster and 1965 Mach 1 race bike) before being able to advise on what they can do for them.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:34 PM   #7
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by rac3r View Post
I emailed Maxton but they were unable to advise without having the bike there, which I can't do because it's bloody miles away.

Anyone know any places near London? Harris Performance can do setup but that's it I think.
It does seem odd. They were able to chat about all kinds of things without seeing my bike, -though they did a few weeks later.

It could be that they only comment once they have worked on a particular model I suppose? If I were you I'd do two things...

1. Are the S2 forks unique to the model? I expect Neil a Cornerspeed would be able to confirm (or Moto Rapido etc) If these forks are fitted to another model bike, you could confirm that to Maxton and possibly they have worked on one of those already at some point?

2. Unless you spoke to Richard, I would call back and ask to speak with him directly. He will difinitely clear this up. Though perhaps you did speak to him already!

I will be curious for another update.

Last edited by Jez900ie; 12-12-2019 at 08:59 PM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:32 PM   #8
Blah blah

How far away is Stowmarket from you? MCT apparently do a ride in - ride out service so might be worth a chat...
Old 13-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #9
Blah blah

The forks on the S2r800 are pretty special / unique to the model and all of the research I did suggested that the simplest way to improve them was to put them in the corner and replace them with something else.
Old 13-12-2019, 08:53 PM   #10
Flip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah blah View Post
The forks on the S2r800 are pretty special / unique to the model and all of the research I did suggested that the simplest way to improve them was to put them in the corner and replace them with something else.
In that case, then yes I’d agree, as that is a very similar situation that owners of Marzocchi equipped early bikes are/were in.

Unless of course, rather than put then in a corner you give them to Maxton for a couple of weeks and then they will rip the original insides out, machine the fork bottoms where required and fit them with their very excellent cartridge conversions and post you back a pair forks that will work in a way the originals never could.

As for the rear shock, you also have to remember that the likes of Öhlins have to subsidise their Moto GP, WSB and BSB commitments by selling ‘a product’ to the general public.
Old 14-12-2019, 12:22 PM   #11
Blah blah

I think that we're all agreed then, a suspension upgrade is worth it.

Now the question is, how much do you want to spend???

MCT seem to do a ride in ride out service if that's what you're looking for, might be a bit more of a distance but if they can fit it and set it up in a day... I'm sure there are other places as well

And all this looking at suspension again has got me thinking about swapping my ohlins shock for something else, best not tell the Minister for War and Finance though, she'll not be happy...
Old 15-12-2019, 12:29 PM   #12
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I would look at replacing the s2 forks/calipers and disks with S4/S4R or ST4/S items first of all because they are better quality and cheaper and give a bit more adjustment although not ideal they are a little bit better than what you have currently and the brakes will be much better too. So you may not need to pay 800 quid for fork upgrades and as a bonus you get better stoppers too.

The Ohlins DU046 is without doubt a great quality upgrade which I have done to mine BUT with the titanium linkages and fixings it has the bling factor BUT the standard Ohlins that I bought is either sprung for a very light rider or mine has been re-sprung as such. I got a deal from an ex DD racer which had done 2 seasons DD races and it is really nice condition and it is noticeably better than the standard one' and the hydraulic preload adjuster was a god send since it seemed quite a bit undersrprung for me but now that no longer works its too soft so I am stuck with an expensive re-build for it. the Nitron looks to be good value and the pre-load adjuster is 150 extra so I would ask yourself if you need it? If you do pillion rides or luggage its a no brainer but if you don't then save yourself £150.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #13
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Oh, and if you do replace the shock put an aftermarket SBK ride height adjuster in the mix too. Its a bit longer than standard, has better adjustment and will give you better handling as your original one is too short and will probably be seized and useless anyway.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2019, 05:27 PM   #14
rac3r

I've already done the brake upgrade. I'll start with the rear and have think over the front! Most probably Nitron shock I'll go for, don't need the remote adjuster
Old 18-12-2019, 04:30 PM   #15
rac3r

Hyperpro have suggested for my bike and weight their Streetbox option which consists of a rear shock, fork springs and oil for about €600