UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Quick hello from a new member

Old 11-08-2009, 09:11 AM   #16
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
oooo, Slob, Great Video, but where are all the other bikes ??
I must have passed you at some point surely ?????

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #17
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Stuart,
From what I remember of our route, we travelled straight down to Chamonix via the Autoroutes then just headed north east through Sion, then route 19 towards Chur. You can then drop into the Dolomites via a number of dirrerent passes, I went through St.Moritz and onto the town of Bormio right at that start of the Stelvio Pass.
I will say the Stelvio was great to do, but not a great road in itself , but if you plan a day starting in Bormio, go through the pass and then back again , that's a good day.
Also a long loop through the pass, then onto Merano, down to Bolzano, then back west through Cles and Tirano before a return to Bormio. That is a fantastic day riding.
For accomodation in Bormio, try this place,
MEUBLE' ROSALPINA, VIA SAN CARLO - 23030, Valdidentro (SO) - Tel. 0342 927141, Email: info@meublerosalpina.com - Web: http://www.bed-and-breakfast-in-ital...90&IDRegione=9
That website is also very good for finding places in the region.
JP

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 10:28 AM   #18
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
You'd have thought so, with me going so slow. Last session of the day, which a lot of people skipped.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #19
StuartJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
Stuart,
From what I remember of our route, we travelled straight down to Chamonix via the Autoroutes then just headed north east through Sion, then route 19 towards Chur. You can then drop into the Dolomites via a number of dirrerent passes, I went through St.Moritz and onto the town of Bormio right at that start of the Stelvio Pass.
I will say the Stelvio was great to do, but not a great road in itself , but if you plan a day starting in Bormio, go through the pass and then back again , that's a good day.
Also a long loop through the pass, then onto Merano, down to Bolzano, then back west through Cles and Tirano before a return to Bormio. That is a fantastic day riding.
For accomodation in Bormio, try this place,
MEUBLE' ROSALPINA, VIA SAN CARLO - 23030, Valdidentro (SO) - Tel. 0342 927141, Email: info@meublerosalpina.com - Web: http://www.bed-and-breakfast-in-ital...90&IDRegione=9
That website is also very good for finding places in the region.
JP
Top tips JP, I'll check out Bormio and see what the route looks like on Google maps.
Thanks for the accomodation link, that's going to come in very handy.
Old 14-08-2009, 09:51 PM   #20
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
The St. Bernard pass between Switzerland & Italy is very impressive. Aoste, the first major town in Italy on that route has a lovely square. You only need a vignette if you travel on Swiss motorways, other roads are free.
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #21
StuartJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigredduke View Post
The St. Bernard pass between Switzerland & Italy is very impressive. Aoste, the first major town in Italy on that route has a lovely square. You only need a vignette if you travel on Swiss motorways, other roads are free.
Thanks Red, St Bernard Pass is my alternative route into Switzerland. Instead of going in at Geneva, I could pop up to see the lake on the French side, then down through Mont Blanc tunnel and across to St Bernards Pass, then up to Sion and the route 19.

The more I look at it, the more I prefer that route. Although, the ride from Annecy to Bormio is going to be a long one, might have to plan a stop for the night half way, maybe Sion or somewhere.