UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Back with a M900 series I

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #241
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Seat arrived from Italy and really is a brand new old one. I will keep the other and repair neatly the small defects by unstapling it and bonding some weave on the back. I will try and scoop some from the pillion area but not much and then glue the cover down and restaple as a pillion only seat.

After giving up with the seller of the other seat and mirrors on here I have a very nice pair coming from USA again and very little corrosion on the olive green plating parts and work out at £20 each inc post.

Don't buy the ones on Ebay that show an image of what looks like OEM because they are NOT. Don't get me wrong they look ok as a mirror but not like the original and I gave them poor feedback for portraying the OEM image to sell.

Starter motor is painted again keeping the original sticker by carefully masking. The top nut and lock nut will be replaced with a shiney plated ones. The 2 long bolts are on there way to platers along with lots more from the engine casings which have temporarily been replaced with stainless.

After much cleaning off the paint and think powdercoat from the camshaft end covers they are repainted black and look good now. Lettering all cleared out nicely.

Last edited by Albie; 17-11-2015 at 08:04 PM..
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 08:15 PM   #242
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

The casings are virtually there but this week I will finally finish the cleaning and rubbing down before I take it along to show Big Oz the dink and decide whether or not its possible to weld that possibly to make sure its good. At least now with the starter motor removed its clean behind it.

Platers will receive the last parts for coloured zinc including the correct front brake lines from USA sourced parts.

Cleaned up the valves of the carbon and once the heads are back will lap them back in myself before Alec rebuilds the heads and engine for me once painted. I also cleaned the belt cover ends of the silver paint overspray. Its a shame they have some cracks in the rubber but I am looking into seeing if some kind of black silicone rubber or bonding can be used to fill the cracks at least.

Old 17-11-2015, 08:23 PM   #243
DrD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I also cleaned the belt cover ends of the silver paint overspray. Its a shame they have some cracks in the rubber but I am looking into seeing if some kind of black
silicone rubber or bonding can be used to fill the cracks at least.
On the basis of my ongoing bodges in that area, epoxy aladite dont last, silicon rubber neither. Metal epoxy is currently lasting but is a dark grey not black rubber colour.
Old 17-11-2015, 08:58 PM   #244
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD View Post
On the basis of my ongoing bodges in that area, epoxy aladite dont last, silicon rubber neither. Metal epoxy is currently lasting but is a dark grey not black rubber colour.
Thanks for that. I wont be paying £50 for a new one. They are fine to use as is but will see what we can do. Maybe a soldering iron can weld together carefully. Rubber melts around 150 - 160 degrees but will try in a place not showing first.
Old 17-11-2015, 09:22 PM   #245
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
You can colour epoxy with poster paint.
You know, the powdered paint that they mix with water to change the colour of play group children....I mean for the kiddies to paint with.

Just mix a little of the powder in when you mix the two epoxy parts together....China restorers use that technique to mend broken pots...Obviously getting a perfect colour match is a skill, but black should be easy.

Epoxy is best cleaned up before it sets, with water...Warm water is best, maybe with a (really tiny) drop of detergent. Solvents are no good.

Epoxy is actually not brilliant at handling heat, so is not ideal for engine repairs.

There is a one part polysulphide glazing sealant called Arbocol. which is trowel-able/workable, and would fill cracks ect.
It dries like a hard rubber and comes in various colours (probably black).

Later this week I will be using a butyl rubber glazing medium for the first time....I will report back if it appears useful for this job.
Old 17-11-2015, 10:47 PM   #246
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Not sure the cam covers should be black Albie, mine were originally grey

Ped
Old 17-11-2015, 11:44 PM   #247
DrD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Not sure the cam covers should be black Albie, mine were originally grey
Ped
Yep, mine (1993) are a dark Titanium grey
Old 18-11-2015, 08:57 AM   #248
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Yep, mine (1993) are a dark Titanium grey
Do you mean the cam end covers or belt covers.
Old 18-11-2015, 09:50 AM   #249
DrD

Both Cam and Rocker covers
Old 18-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #250
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Both Cam and Rocker covers
Ok that's another thing to change then..
Old 18-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #251
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Something else to check Albie, make sure the cylinder studs are the later items, not the stainless early versions
Old 18-11-2015, 05:28 PM   #252
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Something else to check Albie, make sure the cylinder studs are the later items, not the stainless early versions
Snapped studs would be taking originality a bit far Albie.
Old 18-11-2015, 06:18 PM   #253
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Snapped studs would be taking originality a bit far Albie.
They are not stainless as have minor rust scratches.

Just been looking for the colour of covers. Any good pics of colour would help me as too small in bible. Also looks like DUCATI is unpainted and the surround too ?
Old 18-11-2015, 09:51 PM   #254
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Quote:

Just been looking for the colour of covers. Any good pics of colour would help me as too small in bible. Also looks like DUCATI is unpainted and the surround too ?
I'll see what I can sort out tomorrow for you.
Old 19-11-2015, 10:32 AM   #255
Darkness

Quote:

Hi Albie

Here are a few taken in the past, plus a couple more taken this morning in the garage, but it's lashing down at the moment so the lighting isn't good.
It is a dark anthracite grey with a metallic flake to it. I wouldn't have described it as titanium though as it doesn't have the greeny brown tint that usually gives.
I think that's original '93 paint [What's left of it] as I know they haven't been refinished during my ownership. Looks like a job for the winter though, ready for next year.