UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Early coffin brake master seal replacement?

Old 29-01-2019, 09:54 PM   #1
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Yes the Ajay did still have the deep steel mudguard with a lower stay to the fork bottoms, so I guess that would have been a pretty good brace come to think of it.

I understand what you mean about where weight is on the front end effecting the handling now... I thought you might have been winding me up a bit with some nonsense science! My apologies
I still don't believe that the calliper position can effect the braking characteristics though.
Old 29-01-2019, 10:37 PM   #2
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
Yes the Ajay did still have the deep steel mudguard with a lower stay to the fork bottoms, so I guess that would have been a pretty good brace come to think of it.

I understand what you mean about where weight is on the front end effecting the handling now... I thought you might have been winding me up a bit with some nonsense science! My apologies
I still don't believe that the calliper position can effect the braking characteristics though.
Agreed: not the braking characteristic, unless the airflow is shielded and the Caliper overheats?
Old 30-01-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
mickj

Bike: M1200s
I was told by a mechanic many years ago that the reason most manufacturers changed to rear callipers from forward callipers was because they are less prone to seizing when behind, as the fork leg offers some protection from the weather. I know my Honda CB550 was in need of a brake strip down and clean every six months to prevent it from seizing.
Old 30-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgt View Post
I know my Honda CB550 was in need of a brake strip down and clean every six months to prevent it from seizing.
But Honda did use a cheap single piston Caliper with swivel mount comprising a steel pin in alloy mounts with just a couple of o rings to try and keep the salt water out.
Old 30-01-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
mickj

Bike: M1200s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
But Honda did use a cheap single piston Caliper with swivel mount comprising a steel pin in alloy mounts with just a couple of o rings to try and keep the salt water out.
Yep, that's the one, crap, even on a good day.