UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New 821 Owner

Old 03-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #1
GazzyFizzle

New 821 Owner

Hi All,

New Rider and Monster 821 owner here!

At the grand old age of 32, and having been a keen petrolhead for all of my relevant years, I've finally taken the leap and got my bike license.

I passed my bike test last week, and picked up my Monster 821 Dark on Saturday, I'm very happy with my choice. I'm 5ft 7 and I chose the 821 purely based on how it feels to sit on etc. It feels so comfortable, seat height is great, and I feel confident on it at the lights etc. It also helps that I love how it looks and sounds.

I also drive a Mercedes C63 AMG, so I now have two noisy beasts

Hope to gain some info off here as a newbie biker, newbie Ducati owner and general petrolhead.

Laters

Gary
Old 03-05-2017, 08:37 AM   #2
LTDUK

Welcome! The 821 is a nice bike to start on, urban mode is useful for getting the feel of the bike (75bhp output) before going on to touring and sport mode.

If you didn't already know, there is a Ducati dealer in Cambridge, who will be happy to help you with any Ducati related concerns/products/servicing.

Lewis
Old 03-05-2017, 09:27 PM   #3
Doggy

Bike: M796
Hi and welcome . My dad recently bought a 821 which made me buy a 796 .
Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 09:49 PM   #4
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Welcome aboard!
I'm over near St Neots.
Keep an eye out on the forum for events in east Anglia.
Did you purchase the bike from Ducati Harston?
Old 04-05-2017, 09:11 AM   #5
Uncle Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Hello and welcome.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #6
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Welcome to the club Gary.
I had my 821 Stripe for a couple of years till recently and really, really enjoyed it.
Lots of grunt, lots of speed and if you decide to change the exhaust system, it'll sound amazing.
There's not much that you need to change on the 821 as it's so good as it is.

I would STRONGLY recommend some post test bike training. It's a life saver in the truest sense. And stops any new bike owner bad habits.
Have a look at the local police BikeSafe days if they do them in Cambs.
Also worth doing a bit of I.A.M training, very cheap way of getting some basic tuition.
and my favourite, www rapidtraining .co.uk , without doubt some of the best on road, real world training, you can get. I've used them for years and years. I can't recommend highly enough.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
MarkF

Welcome, 32 makes you one of the youngsters around here I think
Old 05-05-2017, 05:25 PM   #8
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
And all te rest of us ad to start out on mopeds... Congrats on passing your test, and enjoy that Ducati!
Old 07-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #9
Gaz66

Just got back from a bit of a pose round on the Duc S2R, very VERY different to the BMER S1000xr.

If you get it right you don’t have to use the breaks at all just leave it to engine breaking. Kept forgetting there is no quick shift and the REV limit is like 9500 LOL! Still all the power is very lowdown pulls like a Diesel from the get go.

Feels twitchy on the front end, I need to do more miles to get my head round the handling but all good.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #10
Gaz66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Welcome aboard!
I'm over near St Neots.
Keep an eye out on the forum for events in east Anglia.
Did you purchase the bike from Ducati Harston?
Hi no it was an Ebay job, nice guy had 5 or 6 bike and 2 vans and 3 cars I think he may collect stuff looking at the house
Old 07-10-2017, 02:21 PM   #11
Gaz66

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
Welcome to the club Gary.
I had my 821 Stripe for a couple of years till recently and really, really enjoyed it.
Lots of grunt, lots of speed and if you decide to change the exhaust system, it'll sound amazing.
There's not much that you need to change on the 821 as it's so good as it is.

I would STRONGLY recommend some post test bike training. It's a life saver in the truest sense. And stops any new bike owner bad habits.
Have a look at the local police BikeSafe days if they do them in Cambs.
Also worth doing a bit of I.A.M training, very cheap way of getting some basic tuition.
and my favourite, www rapidtraining .co.uk , without doubt some of the best on road, real world training, you can get. I've used them for years and years. I can't recommend highly enough.
As I passed my IAM about 15 years ago both car and bike and do about 10k a year on bike and well over 15k in the car I sort of have it under control this said I've just started on My ROSPA bike training never to old to learn something new.

As for the BikeSafe yep done that twice, good fun when a Cop say ride like you would if I was not here, I'll keep up mate it's not an issue just keep it safe and make progress, if I deem it to be dangerous I'll let you know. ... The first one I did I flowed the cop and at well over the speed limit we exited a set of bends only to see a load of bikers sat in a layby looking a little confused as I was chasing the cop and the Akrapovic on my ZRX12s was howling somewhat

I'll take a look at www rapidtraining .co.uk looks like they are down in Buck's.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:50 PM   #12
Moco1961

Hi and welcome, good choice and like the other guys have said additional trining also a good choice.
Enjoy the ride........and the forum !
Old 07-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #13
davkyt

I got my license at 28 and got a 750..... Still got it, now aged 38..... Love love love it