UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Alternative headlamps...

Old 02-03-2017, 12:28 PM   #106
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Yes we like, but it seems the latest monsters have been hit with the big ugly stick. the 1200R is the best of a bad bunch the rest just look like total sh!t imho, as does the latest SS and 959 Panigale, and Diavel are absolute utter bollocks!

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #107
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
.....the rest just look like total sh!t imho, as does the latest SS and 959 Panigale, and Diavel are absolute utter bollocks!
Don't mince your words Darren: what do you really think of them?
Old 02-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #108
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

I never do i 'm just being honest. I always speak my mind, who could disagree that the latest batch of style Ducatis are just that, a batch job, a styling exercise. Nothing more. Totally missing the point.

Who would trade in there Monster or SBK for something from the current range?

Old 31-03-2017, 09:30 PM   #109
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
Update!

Mr Gazza supplied me with one of his adapter rings. I subsequently got around to buying one of these LED lights http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike-.../162427078176?
The light fits perfectly with this, held in place with the clips also supplied by Mr Gazza. I sprayed it black with a rattle can to give it a more finished look. The overall look/ impression of these bulbs is very different than the standard glass lens which some might not like. For me the power of the light is the most important factor.

The LED light is made of plastic, so its possible that it will scratch, but if it does, a quick buffing will resolve this.

The light comes with a "black box" that is required which is too large to fit inside the headlamp shell. I have decided to locate this under the tank to ensure its completely dry. It will fit inside the top of the airbox cover. I have extended the wiring to allow this - its a very simple job.

The road test wont happen until May as that is when I will MOT the bike. Whilst the light is DOT approved etc, I want to leave the original to ensure that the MOT passes without any annoying issue resulting on my having to get a taxi home, change the light blah blah...
I will get it assessed again by MOT guys once it as a full years ticket.

First impressions are good and the light seems brighter, but until a good long ride in the dark using both original and LED lights to compare its not possible to be sure.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:19 AM   #110
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Thanks Jez.. Good to know it all fits okay. Another unit I can add to the list of suitable upgrades.

I'll be very interested to hear how the test rides go, but I don't think you need to worry about having to get a taxi home from the MOT.. Assuming your MOT will be during daylight hours? Personally I would fit the new unit for the test and take full advantage of the beam alignment machine.

It's a shame the driver doesn't go in the shell. I had the same problem trying to fit relays in there.. Not much room!
I don't want to fit the relays outside the shell as it all starts to get a bit untidy.
In fact I decided to move away from hot bulbs, as a more modern solution.
Therein lies another problem, in that the better LED H4 bulbs seem to have a large protuberance on the back to carry the driver and sometimes a fan.
I have yet to carefully measure how much room there is behind the lens, but it all looks a bit tight to me!.. There is a bit more room with the crystal reflector, as it's slightly flatter.
I had considered the possibility of cutting a hole in the back of the shell to allow the gubbins out into the air, but that kind of defeats the object of retaining the original parts.

Anyone had any joy with H4 LED bulbs in Monsters? (With Bosch headlamp.)

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 01-04-2017 at 09:22 AM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:25 AM   #111
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Yea, its the same with the H4 HID conversion. There is a transformer that altough not huge is a problem since it won't fit in the shelll. With faired bikes you can hide it in there, but without I don't know!

Old 01-04-2017, 10:22 AM   #112
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
Was it plug and play Jez - no faffing about with wires?
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:42 AM   #113
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Alan S4
The light connects and works perfectly without faffing about with wires, but there isn't enough room in the headlight shell to hold the transformer/ black box. So you do have to extend the wires so that the transformer/ black box can be put somewhere else. Its a very straight forward job. Alternatively buy the headlamp shell which these guys supply for an additional 75quid.

Last edited by Jez900ie; 01-04-2017 at 12:28 PM..
Jez900ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #114
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
That's interesting.
I was considering getting a different led unit from the same supplier but I wasn't aware of the black box (though I did suspect that there might be one).
I imagine that both units would have the box.
How big is it ?

I still may go that route but I'm also now wondering whether to try the Cibie unit, as they have a well established reputation and it would add another comparative element to the group test.
Sorry I haven't got round to any trials yet but "stuff" has demanded my time and attention recently.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:34 PM   #115
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
I was considering getting a different led unit from the same supplier but I wasn't aware of the black box (though I did suspect that there might be one).
I imagine that both units would have the box.
How big is it ?.
The black box is 60mm x 30mm 30mm. Plus there are two additional triangular 3 point headlamp connectors and thick cable into and out of the black box/ transformer which dont like to bend. It seemed the best to move it all to a safe spot under the tank.
Old 13-07-2017, 01:27 PM   #116
CarloL

Thinking of this light for mine !

Same crowd Jez used , how you getting on Jez? any pics?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTORBIKE-...AAAOSwB-1YtHPS

Did anybody just put in a H4 LED bulb into an OE lamp , might blind road users though?

Where can I get adapter rings for the OE metal casing 1997 Monster to fit a 7 inch light ? Corse Dynamics in the US is all I see

Last edited by CarloL; 13-07-2017 at 03:54 PM..
CarloL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 07:50 PM   #117
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I made a test batch of adapter rings, which if you take the trouble to read it, is the subject of this thread.

For pictures see posts #30 and #94

I will be producing some more of these when I get it together to actually buy some material.
Kits will contain a painted ring and the special clips to do the job. Price will be somewhere between £15 to £20 posted.

Dithering about doing this at the moment as I need to buy enough material to make 72 rings, and I'm not sure there is that much demand?
Please state an interest and it might encourage me.

That lamp unit you linked to on ebay looks like the driver unit is built onto the end and I doubt very much that it will fit inside the Bosch shell.
Old 13-07-2017, 07:53 PM   #118
bobbertandsammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I made a test batch of adapter rings, which if you take the trouble to read it, is the subject of this thread.

For pictures see posts #30 and #94

I will be producing some more of these when I get it together to actually buy some material.
Kits will contain a painted ring and the special clips to do the job. Price will be somewhere between £15 to £20 posted.

Dithering about doing this at the moment as I need to buy enough material to make 72 rings, and I'm not sure there is that much demand?
Please state an interest and it might encourage me.

That lamp unit you linked to on ebay looks like the driver unit is built onto the end and I doubt very much that it will fit inside the Bosch shell.
I'd take one off you buddy
bobbertandsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 10:26 PM   #119
CarloL

Mr Gazza , I did take the trouble to read it and as you stated you did a test batch of adapter rings, and you are pondering if you are going to make them

Hence the Q, where to get them as you dont have any to sell

If you do make them , great! I am in

I am looking at this headlamp now !

CarloL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 01:30 AM   #120
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Anyone know wher I can get one of these alternative headlights for my Monster

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote