UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » So would you swap?

Old 19-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #16
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Recently I had to make some economies. Running two bikes and a car was just too costly for the amount of use they each got.
The bikes won easily...I'm giving my diesel Astra estate to my mate, who will put me on the insurance for occaisional use. Other than that it'll be just bikes for the foreseeable.

I understand what others have said about changing circumstances though, and I gave up biking for about 15yrs, while I had a young family.

I've wanted a naked Ducati since 1973 when I first saw the 750.S.
My millenium M750 is, for me, the best roadster ever built. Its only worth about £2k now, has only depreciated slowly since I bought it and its value is now becoming stable(ish).
I'm never going to sell it. My youngest boy will eventually inherit it.

I chose it carefully.....Simple, 2-valve, aircooled motor.. light, durable wet clutch.. no electronics to misbehave with expensive consequences.. enough grunt for the roads I like to ride.. cheap insurance (same group as the 600s).. I could go on.......

Its a definite keeper, and by now it has so many little homemade bits and pieces that it would be silly to part with it.

A few years ago I wrote this song about it.
I still feel exactly the same way.

I've got myself a brand new girl, and this time its for keeps.
The prettiest thing I've ever seen, I'm lovestruck, I can hardly sleep.
She's got everything I need. She always treats me right.
I met her in the afternoon and took her home that night.

I've got myself a brand new girl, she's always on my mind.
She's headstrong, she's contrary, boys. She's cute, but not the flashy kind.
She might get temperamental....I know you know the score.
But I treat her nice and gentle and she keeps coming back for more.

She takes me to the river, boys. I get down on my knee.
And boys, I think I'd die right there if she ever slipped away from me.
But I don't have to worry, though she's lonesome, wild and free.
Cos she ain't goin' nowhere if she don't go there with me.

And she's always gonna be my girl, I knew it from the start.
She sets my mortal soul on fire. She soothes away my aching heart.
She scrubs up nice and shiny, boys. I try to keep her clean.
But boys. she looks good dirty...if you know just what I mean.

Yes I've got myself a brand new girl, and this time its for keeps.
The prettiest thing I've ever seen, I'm lovestruck, I can hardly sleep.
Her heart beats deep and soulful, boys. It makes mine skip a beat.
I'm gonna take her out tonight, and do it in the street.
Yes, I'm gonna take her out tonight and do it in the street.

I guess that sums it up pretty well.
For anyone with musical tendencies, its a kinda country two-step/shuffle with a bluesy feel, in the key of D (I think).
It nearly had another verse about the need to regularly dip her oil, but I thought that might be one innuendo too far.

To those who are selling theirs, I seriously hope you don't live to regret it.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #17
the_adam

Like it I think that extra verse would make it truly complete though
Old 19-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #18
neilo

Ktm 990 sm r

To answer He11cat's questions...

I tend to change my bikes every two years anyway...so I didn't intend on holding on to the M1100evo into 2014.

HOWEVER, at the moment, I couldn't dream of parting with it, even through the next 5 years! For where I am in my life and the types of roads I ride, it is just the perfect bike for me. It has really grown on me like no other bike I've had. I guess this is what it means to be a Ducatista!

Biking doesn't define me...it's just a hobby, albeit a little bit of an expensive one, and so if I ever HAD TO sell it, then it would go without question. I'm up to ~4,500 miles in my first year of ownership, so it does get used. If like Anne I'd only done ~1,000 over the year, then it'd go... I buy 'em to ride 'em, and if I ain't riding 'em, then I ain't getting on with 'em.

I'd like to do some long(er)-distance touring further down the line, for which I don't believe the M1100evo is made, so when it's time for that, something else will fill its place.

I love bikes...and if there was anything I'd rather have than my M1100evo, it would be a KTM 990 SM R, followed closely by a Speed Triple 1050.
Old 19-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #19
He11cat

I try and always have two bikes .... Because I'm grouchy if I know I can't ride

If I couldn't have a Ducati I'd buy a little Guzzi
Old 19-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #20
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
I have swapped in a way. My Ducati allegiance is no longer. But thats purely because I have a liking for older bikes now and I wanted to own a classic. Question is that if I was forced to have one it would be tough. If it were about money as well then the Monster would be in question.
The XT500 is valued roughly at £3-4000 and the monster 1100s is a depreciating value bike. The xt is also cheaper to run and cheaper to insure. Its not as comfy or powerful and 2 up would not be good.

I would hope never to have to choose but the monster is my best bike and always will be as long as finance does not come into it.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #21
littlejimmy12

Quote:
Originally Posted by He11cat View Post
There seems to be a lot of people selling their monsters at the mo.

I understand as I have sold bikes I originally said I wouldn't and sometimes a change is as good as a rest or circumstances change.

So... would you????
If so what if anything could temp you?

I love my monsters and can't see me parting with them , I would like a dry clutch more then anything mind.

If I could have another bike and I was taller I would pick a Superlight in yellow.
I contacted radical ducati last week as I ultimately want one of there dacati based cafe racers. 9k for a decent one. Thats what I'd swop for.
Old 19-06-2012, 06:21 PM   #22
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Would I swap ... not the baby monster no...
But if I got better I would be tempted to lump a 900 engine in Hector... I want a dry clutch so bad!
It should be do-able, there's a strand somewhere here.

Otherwise you'll just have to go for a tabourine jammed up you jacket.

And swap.. might for the same but bigger then again my monster does everything I want it to so maybe not. I am considering getting hold of a 900 motor and some bigger 750 or even 600 stickers, 400 ones would be stretching it just a little bit too much..
Old 19-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #23
simon_g

Bike: M695
Coming up for 3 years, don't really want to change it. Still quick enough, it's very cheap to insure, been (touch wood) utterly reliable and it still feels fun. Get tempted by Hypermotards occasionally but I still love how the classic Monster looks.

Ideally I want another bike to go with it, something comfier and with some wind protection for longer trips as well as proper pillion provision for days out.

If Ducati announced a smaller Multistrada though, I'd be quite tempted to chop the Monster in when I ordered. Have been watching 1200 prices too, they're starting to get more sensible especially if you can live without the electronic suspension.
simon_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #24
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

The next one's a keeper (watch this space) as I do not want to go through the pain of selling another Monster. Before my old 750 I changed bikes every 2 years, I had the Monster for 4 and if I hadn't moved 300 miles with no guarantee of a garage, I'd still have it now...

Interesting that some people 'only' do 1000 miles in a year, that's what I used to do on mine and I was more than happy as it's a toy.

With family and work taking up most of my life, having the ability to pop out for an hour and wring my old 750's neck all the way to the edge of the tyres kept me sane - the past 7-8 months have not been the same, so much so that my wife told me to go out and buy another bike last month.

No contest, there is only one type for a keeper, others will come and go, but they won't be the same
Old 19-06-2012, 09:05 PM   #25
He11cat

If the bikes there and I know it's there and roadworthy I'm ok.
If something is broken it drives me mental!

I have to have something I am passionate about in my life.
It's always been a mechanical thing
Old 19-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #26
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Quote:
If the bikes there and I know it's there and roadworthy I'm ok.
If something is broken it drives me mental!

I have to have something I am passionate about in my life.
It's always been a mechanical thing
With me, it doesn't even have to be road worthy, as long as there's a bike in the garage.
Before discovering the fun to be had with monsters, I built a hardtail chop and that was enough to keep me going for those months. The feature in BSH was the cherry on top, but it had interesting handling so it was moved on.

A couple of months later, the wife told me to go and buy a bike, so after wanting a Monster for years I decided that if I didn't buy one then I never would...

My wife's good to me like that, either that or she wants a quiet life

Last edited by Blah blah; 19-06-2012 at 09:16 PM..
Blah blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #27
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Bike: Multiple Monsters
At the moment do not think I would ever want to be without monster. Even if I were to stop riding I would just have it to look at and stroke .... When I sold my first monster the 750 I was happy as I was going to pickup 749. Just a as soon as novelty of new bike worn off I found something missing. I even had threads about it on Ducatisti. I know now what it was that was missing. When I picked up my current m900 it took all about 10 min to find the missing thing.

It was not the monster exactly. It was the feel it gave me, instantly I felt like a 10y old prat, you know Denis the Menis or Bart Simpson.

What was missing is the vibration, the feel, the look of the bike. I realised that monster is so me.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 10:25 PM   #28
revver

i am so confused at mo it is unreal i luv the monster for what it is but just miss the reliability and finess of the jap bikes. I like to go out push the button and now everthing works. I got the 95 m600 for 350 and she is in a bit of a mess but once the superdream is up and running the duke will be in for some tlc even thogh i am not sure what to do with it. (riding naughty bike at mo triumph trophy 900) I am like blah blah too in the sence that as long as i have a bike in the garage i am ok. I done 8-10 yrs with bike off the road but in the garage while i had family and done the house up but even now i do feel guilty about going out and leaving wife and kids at home but it is part of me and i have to find that balance as i would go stir crazy without the stress buster of the thrill of the ride what ever the bike.
Once again mel good thread.

Last edited by revver; 19-06-2012 at 10:41 PM..
Old 19-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #29
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I want a Triumph Street Triple 675 but wont part with my Ducatis and a KLX 250 would be next thailand bike as it would take me places the S4 cant go
Old 20-06-2012, 12:12 AM   #30
He11cat

It's funny how these two wheeled things touch our lives
Revver , they do have quirks ( or is it charm?) but once set up are not much different to another bike .. I've had some hellish jap bikes lol!

I think it's healthy for people to have time out .
Even if your married with children.
With in that you are still 2 individual people.
As long as both parties get time out its fine I think and often makes you appreciate the other person.. So where as one may have a trundle out on their bike or go to football or fishing it's a good healthy thing to do .
But make sure your partner gets time out to do something as well even if you think what they are doing is boring or stupid
Resentment breeds bad feelings

Oh and absence makes the heart grow fonder .... Not true !
Unless its forced seperation like military tours.
If someone's buggering off all time
It can make the other half cross and more anti bike!
So always be fair.

Last edited by He11cat; 20-06-2012 at 12:21 AM..