UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hi from sunny Cheshire :-)

Old 09-04-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
Nathan

Smile Hi from sunny Cheshire :-)

Hi all!

I've been lurking on here for a while now so figured it was time to say hello!

I was looking at getting out of bikes since selling my GSXR600 last year (trying to put my responsible hat on) but I've always been a fan of Monsters and the sunshine and lure of two wheels has really got me fired up to get one!!

I had a test ride on a 696 a couple of years ago and loved the riding position (I'm a bit of a shorty), looks and handling. However I did find it a bit short of oomph, but I can't decide for me whether that's a good thing or not...

The roads here are fairly open and fast, and it was all too easy to end up doing silly speeds on my Suzuki, so I figure an unfaired bike is definately the way to go, and it's looking like a Monster. I'm just not sure whether I'd crave more performance in the long run from a 696?

I also ideally don't want a huge amount of cash tied up in a bike as I don't get out much, so don't want something that's potentially going to be sat in my garage losing money and getting little use.

So the question is folks, what else should I be considering? I can see for example that the S2R800 has similar on paper performance to the 696, but how does this translate on the road? How do the other earlier Monsters compare?

Any advice appreciated!
Old 09-04-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
BluprintZ

Welcome to Nathan.

We quite like lurkers on here, once they see what a loony crowd we is, they can't help but jump in and join in the fun.
Regarding what you should get Monster wise, i was also advised against getting one of the lower CC models, because with 40 years riding under my belt, i would possibly have got bored with the lack of "ooomph!", although as you have probaly already noticed, there are quite a few owners of the sub-750 models.
Sound like you may be happier with a bike 750cc or above, so the (Monster) world is your oyster really, i had a `98 carbed M900 for a few years and loved it dearly.

Good luck with your choice mate and check out the northwest run threads for ride-out dates.

G ; )
Old 09-04-2010, 08:54 PM   #3
Mr Cake

Aye up George!!!

I rode Mand's 620 round the IOM and it was brilliant! Nowt wrong with the smaller engined Monsters.

Dave
Old 09-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #4
jezzamondo

Check 851jim's S4R for sale- I've an S4RS which I think are just the business, but my mate doted over his blue S4R said it was in his all time best... maybe a bit more "perky" than 2 valve options?
Old 10-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #5
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Responsible!! That's a bad idea, don't do it!!
On a scale of sense getting a Monster rates highly.
As for size, they're mostly about the same physically, the weights vary a bit. I like the 750's, not sure why though, they suit me quite nicely.
The S4's are pretty frisky, I've tried one and it was serious fun. Like Jezzamondo says they sure are perky

Just get one Nathan
Old 10-04-2010, 05:46 AM   #6
LouSCannon
These must fit a Monster?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Hi and welcome!

All depends on how much you want to spend. I had a 695 for a couple of years and loved it, but went to a bigger bike because, well I was offered a great deal and I had a bad taste in the back of my mouth from getting blasted on the straights at Cadwell Park!

As with any bikes the small options will still easily keep up with the bigger bikes in the hands of as good rider, more so on the track. But real life day to day usage, you may find the bigger bike has more oomph for overtaking on A roads?

Best thing to do is get a test ride on one.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:22 AM   #7
Nathan

Thanks for the advice guys. As much a I loved the 696 I think they might just be a little more than I want to pay for something which offers a little less performance than an older, bigger engined bike.

I'm therefore officially now on the hunt for an S2R or S4R (but ideally S4R ) and have set myself a budget of £3.5k. Whether I'll get what I want for that I'm not sure, but I've got the cash burning a hole in my pocket so if anyone knows of a nice bike in that price range and wants a quick sale then let me know!!

If I turn one up in the meantime you'll all be the first to know.. I suspect I'll be asking many questions
Old 11-04-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
abalmoe

S4 or S4r.......i ride a S4 and it keeps up with the blades and gixers....and they get a run for their money from the lights......getting top end means you got to stick your chin on the tank because of the sit up riding position or you'll fly off the back....my mate who rides a R1 had a go on it last week and he said hes never felt bottom end and midrange muscle like it.....mine cost me 2600. then put 400 into it o get it how i wanted....last year i rode a M600 good midrange but nothing like the S4 animal.
..........where abouts in Cheshire.....im in warrington.........A50, A49, A580.......fast roads

Last edited by abalmoe; 11-04-2010 at 09:56 AM..
Old 11-04-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
Nathan

Good to hear abalmoe.

I'm in Holmes Chapel so not too far from you. Most of my riding is on the roads around Jodrell Bank (my commute) with an occasional run over the Cat&Fiddle. I'm fairly new to the area (Yorkshire born and bred ) so still finding my way around (I got lost when I took a 696 out from Ducati Manchester when they were based near Knutsford!)

The roads here are certainly different from my old stomping ground in the Dales (which is why I think the roads around the C&F feel more like home than the roads on the Cheshire plain). On my GSXR I always found myself going too fast around here (too easy on these open roads) whereas in the Dales there were far less opportunities to go really quick without taking a lot of risks. I'm hoping at can get different thrills on a Monster (noise, grunt etc) at more sensible speeds.

Once I'm sorted out with a bike I'm hoping to tag along to any ride outs which are arranged on here. It'll help me get to know the area better too!

Just another thing, how does everyone find the riding position on the S4's? I used to struggle with wrist pain on my Suzuki on a long ride. It wasn't an issue on the 696 I tried but the S4 seems to have lower bars?
Old 11-04-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
abalmoe

riding position is comfy but windy.......and you look like your flexing all the time....good on bends....loud as hell.......can set car alarms off......easy wheelies....lubes the misses.....turns heads.....turns you into more of a road hooligan...scares kids, dogs, grannys and the faint hearted....everytime i try and have a slow leisurly ride im tearing up tarmec again.......its got to be ridden hard........things that bug me are....snatchy and feels lumpy in traffic at low speeds......clutch sounds like a concrete mixer......needs bigger tank......i filled up twice today,
Old 12-04-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
scrapps

Hello and welcome. The S4 has a lot higher running cost than a air cooled monster due to servicing cost and fuel used. That said they do have more power and run a bit smoother. I have a 900ie and a 750ss and both make me smile. I rode both back to back on saturday two very different bikes but both had my smiling from ear to ear
Old 14-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #12
Nathan

Thanks again all for the info.

An S4R is top of my shopping list at the mo, but I'm going to keep an open mind as I'd also consider something which I could make my own (a bit of a project if you like, so long it's not going to take me too long to get back on the road!)