UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hello from the North West

Old 09-03-2015, 05:00 PM   #1
GDCobra

Hello from the North West

Just popping in to say "Hello all", I'm about to join the Monster clan in the next few weeks, just waiting to sort out a few things in my garage and then I'll take delivery.

Not sure how popular I'll be as I've gone for one of the new water cooled models which, looking through a few posts on here over the last few weeks, don't seem to have the same level of acceptability as the air cooled models. Mind you I'm also disappointed that it doesn't have a gear position indicator, which is a bit sad considering all the technology is in place to provide one, so I may be ostracized completely!

Hopefully you'll be gentle with me!
Old 09-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Just enjoy the bike for what it is. Even the plastic panel tanked ones got/get a hard time on the forum as do the watered ones.
Welcome along anyhow from an ex-monster owner.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #3
GDCobra

Hi Albie

Thanks for the welcome, I'm committed now (or perhaps I should be) so I'll have to enjoy what I've got. I think I see things differently to other people anyway, I had a CB1000R a couple of years ago which many say are bland and boring but I found it very good, maybe I have low standards. Mind you a lot of people use the word 'character' instead of 'breaks down a lot' and that's the kind of character I'm prepared to live without!
Old 09-03-2015, 06:12 PM   #4
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Hello and welcome GDCobra

You've certainly done your UKMOC research well Just don't take any of it too seriously. Join in with the banter and have a laugh. All Monsters are loved and welcome here, no matter how they are cooled and whichever gear you are in.

As long as you can write in something approximating the queens English and can take a joke without throwing a strop or your toys out of the pram you are about to join the best, friendliest and most fun web based bike forum in the world, enjoy

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:15 PM   #5
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDCobra View Post
Hi Albie

Thanks for the welcome, I'm committed now (or perhaps I should be) so I'll have to enjoy what I've got. I think I see things differently to other people anyway, I had a CB1000R a couple of years ago which many say are bland and boring but I found it very good, maybe I have low standards. Mind you a lot of people use the word 'character' instead of 'breaks down a lot' and that's the kind of character I'm prepared to live without!
You go for it. It keeps Italian people in work building all the new bikes love em or hate them. I like them too and was close to getting an 821 just not wanting all that power now myself but not saying anything wrong with too much.
Characters good but soul is better. Look forward to the pics of it and me getting a monster back in my garage soon.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:17 PM   #6
GDCobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty View Post
Hello and welcome GDCobra

You've certainly done your UKMOC research well Just don't take any of it too seriously. Join in with the banter and have a laugh. All Monsters are loved and welcome here, no matter how they are cooled and whichever gear you are in.

As long as you can write in something approximating the queens English and can take a joke without throwing a strop or your toys out of the pram you are about to join the best, friendliest and most fun web based bike forum in the world, enjoy
Thanks Dirty, I've been around a few forums long enough to learn that not everything comes over in the written word as it would when spoken and it's best to turn away when the trolls fire up.
Anyway I reckon in about 30 years or so everyone will accept water cooling although I do like the simplicity of air cooling. The last bike I sold was a Triumph Thruxton, can't believe I sold it and wish I hadn't now (a bit)
Old 09-03-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
GDCobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
You go for it. It keeps Italian people in work building all the new bikes love em or hate them. I like them too and was close to getting an 821 just not wanting all that power now myself but not saying anything wrong with too much.
Characters good but soul is better. Look forward to the pics of it and me getting a monster back in my garage soon.
Well I went for the 1200 S but more for the high class suspension than the power, I'd have quite happily had an 821 if it had Ohlins.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #8
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Well I went for the 1200 S but more for the high class suspension than the power, I'd have quite happily had an 821 if it had Ohlins.
That's why I got the 1100s. It was the gold that drew me in. Rubbish at riding it though . New owner knows how to ride it though.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #9
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Thanks Dirty, I've been around a few forums long enough to learn that not everything comes over in the written word as it would when spoken and it's best to turn away when the trolls fire up.
Anyway I reckon in about 30 years or so everyone will accept water cooling although I do like the simplicity of air cooling. The last bike I sold was a Triumph Thruxton, can't believe I sold it and wish I hadn't now (a bit)
Pretty much everything I write is tongue in cheek and said in jest and most people get that.

Water cooling has been on Monsters for ages, since the S4. Some like it, some don't, some don't care either way. Whatever you get, however it's cooled, what features it has/hasn't there will be something to have a joke about. Unless it's a yellow M600 of course because that is clearly the best, coolest, fastest and most perfect Monster of the lot

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:43 PM   #10
garry

good man, you know it makes sense..

catch up with yer soon fer a brew if only at the barn
Old 09-03-2015, 08:16 PM   #11
GDCobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
That's why I got the 1100s. It was the gold that drew me in. Rubbish at riding it though . New owner knows how to ride it though.
Well I put an Ohlins shock on my current bike (Yammy R1) and very impressed with it, I don't profess to be any better than rubbish riding either but I enjoy it more like that.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #12
GDCobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry View Post
good man, you know it makes sense..

catch up with yer soon fer a brew if only at the barn
Hi Garry, may be up at the barn sometime although I must admit I don't get up there much on the bike, it's a bit too local to me for a ride out. I get up to Devil's bridge more often although I must admit I tend to do it when everyone else doesn't, evenings and early mornings are my times, I figure there's less to hit or be hit by at those times and less rozzers too. Hoping to pick it up before Easter and maybe get around a bit that weekend.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:29 PM   #13
garry

actually, we normally tend to do the barn on our way home, normally after the brew wagons shut ......
Old 09-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #14
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Well I put an Ohlins shock on my current bike (Yammy R1) and very impressed with it, I don't profess to be any better than rubbish riding either but I enjoy it more like that.
I must profess that I am now trying to learn to ride again to hopefully enjoy it all over again and will try and improve myself before the bike. Maybe I just plonked my backside on too fast bikes.
Will be going past Preston in June up to Heysham to go to the IOM TT. Do you ever go over seeing its so close.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:09 PM   #15
coastal59

Welcome cobra , I am still getting used to the m1200 and started farkling now! Hope to getsome good trips this year over to northwest 200 and down to Italy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: