UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Yet Another M900 Build

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2021, 12:24 PM   #11
PPuxley

Bike: M900
1st May 2021
The Paint Detective
Just spent a very interesting morning at Aldermaston Paints where Richard, The Owner, spent 40 miniutes with me taking me through their matching process using their Lechler database.

I went armed with a wheel and the suspension hoop, which I had done a comparison with unfaded section under the E3 panel, which I had removed. I have to say there was actually no perceptible difference to the "faded" area adjacent or the back of the suspension hoop.

Firstly we were snookered on using the matching scanner, which needs about a 100x75mm flat panel to work, so that was a non starter, but, equally you are never going to see it on a flat panel that size on the finished bike.

First we tried Darkness's Sanidinbeige DB1798 798 MA4052M, Mercedes, but that was still much too gold.

Richard then searched the database using Ducati 1997, I think, and came up with two possibles which were close but still just too silver without that hint of bronze.

I then said people often referred to the required colour as "916 Gold". Using "Ducati 916" as a selective search term then threw up DUC19 Grey-291601-223647-916 MET

This was as near spot on as I could imagine when looked at outside in natural light.

So I left with a rattle can of that and some satin lacquer.

Below are the results when sprayed at home, close but still not there. Too much flake and just a touch shy on the bronze, in my opinion. These were finished in satin lacquer and are still too glossy so definitely need to try a matt lacquer.
The difference is much harder to spot when blended, as on the hoop in the 2nd photo (New at the top, existing at the bottom)

If this is as close as I could get it would be OK, but I think we can do better.
So back on Tuesday for some matt lacquer, and see if Richard can tweak it to get what I need.
This all leading to a choice of paint, the final finish will not be in rattle cans but shop applied....not by me!
To be continued......