UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Abbreviated Teatray

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-08-2018, 08:10 AM   #1
Nasher

Bike: M900
Abbreviated Teatray

I’m not sure I like it, opinions please.
Although I'll ultimately make my own mind up of course!

When I purchased my 97 M900 4yrs ago it’d already had a ‘Tailchop’ at some time to remove the teatray, and of course the rear of the frame.

Now I know it’s a matter of real debate on here, but I personally prefer my Monsters sans tail.
I think it’s too long and lengthens the bodywork too much.
However, I realise that as a keeper my M900 will be worth more to my family when I’m gone if it had a tail, so I’m also gathering together a kit of parts to convert it back to standard if required.

I’ve also been thinking that there are a few styling elements that really make an early Monster what it is, and regardless of personal opinion the teatray is one of them.

I had a play for an hour over the weekend and bodged together a shortened teatray from a split one I had, just to see what it looked like.
If I decide I do like it, I’ll tidy it up and take a mould from it to make a glass or carbon one.

Please be fully aware that what you’re looking at is a lash-up for testing only, I’m not proud of it.

It’s not as easy as shortening it and bolting it back on somehow, as the teatray is tapered widthways along it’s length so the standard style rear light lens will not fit further along the length of it.

I split it down the centre and used Plummer’s Solvent pipe adhesive to glue the two halves down to a piece of PC/ABS plastic I had in the garage.
I added a 10mm gap, but wish I’d gone for more now so I could make it even shorter.

I then cut it down so I could mount it using two longer bolts in place of those that hold that rear mudguard and seat latch in position.
Obviously I had to cut holes to allow for number plate illumination from below the rear light unit.
I’d also add some extra stiffness with a metal plate if I make a real one.
For this exercise I’ve covered the slot in the middle by infilling the bottom of the tray with carbon Wrapping Film, obviously I’d fill it properly if I use it to make a mould.

Before and with the shortened tray.

What do ‘We’ think?

Is it a Homage?
Or just Horrendous?

Nasher