UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Carbs adjusted, can I get your thoughts please?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-07-2018, 09:11 PM   #1
Macflurry

Bike: M900
Wink Carbs adjusted, can I get your thoughts please?

Hi guys,

Rebuilt a set of carbs for the first time a few weeks ago, managed to adjust them to what I thought looked and sounded good but as I had never done it before then my opinion isn't the most reliable!!

Had an issue where the bike got starved of fuel due to crap in the tank but it ran like a dog after more fuel was put through again.

So I've stripped the carbs again in case debris from the tank had got through, de-rusted the tank, replaced the fuel filter, put fresh fuel in and it still ran rough but better than before.

Spent yesterday evening trying to get it to sound right but no matter what I did it was still popping and sounding rough so I left it at 01:30 so I could go with fresh eyes today.

I put a sync tool on there today to see if that had gone out when I stripped them. I could hear a "coughing" noise when i had been adjusting the fuel which I thought had been from the mixture being out. But looking at the tool I could see and feel it was only on one side. Checked the plugs... one was fine the other had oil on it. Swapped them for a fresh set that i had to go on and instantly purred into life!! Simple things eh? Could have saved me hours of swearing and getting burnt trying to make adjustments last night!!

Anyway, it doesn't sound to bad as it is but I'd like an opinion from someone who has played with this a lot more than me... which is basically anyone. So before I starting dialling the screws back and going again from scratch, would you say this is fine where it is?

Sync tool plugged in and low revs:

https://youtu.be/LqJftfd6Crw

Sync tool plugged in and throughout the rev range.

https://youtu.be/wqR-yy5clz4
Macflurry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adjustment, carbs, m900, rebuild, sync