UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Fuels & Oils » Vapour Lock

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2016, 09:34 AM   #1
Flip

Bike: M900
Vapour Lock

Out for a ride yesterday afternoon after having a fiddle with my suspension and taking the bike for it's MoT (which it passed) and while riding through some heavy traffic in the afternoon heat my bike starting spluttering and coughing until it died completely.

Now it has done this on two previous occasions, once on an even hotter day (yes really) while riding in London way back in about 2003 and another time more locally a couple of years later.

So up until yesterday it hadn't done it for over ten years including some pretty hot filtering while in Europe last year.

Anyway, while road side I did the usual check of opening the fuel cap- no hiss, and trying starting it with the cap open (needed some choke to pull some fuel through) but still no go.

Once the thing had cooled down (about an hour later) I tried again and with some choke it farted into life and got better as I turned the choke off and with the early evening cooling air it ran great all the way back home.

So I am thinking it is the dreaded vapour lock that is said to plague 900's from time to time.

Anyone else had similar or know a 100% cure short of fitting an electric fuel pump?

Cheers Peeps!