UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Turd Polishing....

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-2016, 06:03 PM   #1
italianjob

Wink Turd Polishing....

The Money Pit...... by Paul Hyde, on Flickr
Well here she is. Ain't she a beauty..... ;- )
So, a little bit about her. Bought cheap (or so i thought) on Gumtree. Runner with MOT (gawd knows how it went through that). It did come with the belt covers, but i just removed them to check the belts.
Got her home and after a much better look found the following faults: only one (incorrect) throttle cable. No fuel tap. Broken bolt in footrest plate. Engine mount bolts loose (been out for some reason). Wiring loom not put up inside frame prior to refitting. Fuel tank (or so i thought) leak. No tank buckle and bodged screw holes. Wrong starter solenoid. Cracked headlamp glass. Engine cuts out when lights put on (new battery now acquired). Rear wheel valve broken. Seat split. LED indicators fitted but not wired up.
Rear shock, no pressure. Now re pressurised with Nitrogen. Front fork seal leaking. One fork leg gouged.
Everything sprayed rattle can black, which is coming off with cellulose thinners and elbow grease !
The good points: Good compression on both pots. No nasty bits when oil drained and strainer cleaned. Just hadn't been changed in who knows how long.... New oil and filter done.
A set of Leo Vince short pipes supplied along with the standard silencers. New(ish) tyres.
I now have all the parts required to get it roadworthy, it's insured and will hopefully hit the open road on April 1st.......
It won't look much different, although the frame will be back to it's original colour once the black is removed.
My dad gave me some thinners he's had since the war. I'm sure it's outlawed now, and might be why i've been ill/throwing up after a session of inhaling it for prolonged periods ! Face mask now acquired....