UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Ducati Dealer Service (or lack there of!)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #1
bluestoesonnose

Ducati Dealer Service (or lack there of!)

As with all my bikes in the first week I like to take them apart (not too far) and give them a full service just to make sure they are all as they should be. So seat and tank off, wheels off and pads out of the brakes and pistons checked.

Change all the fluids (still have the forks to do), all the filters and plugs. Coppa slip, Alu slip, or red grease all the service nuts and bolts. Change any dodgy fittings with some nice stainless and take off all the leavers and pegs clean and lube the bearing surfaces.

Fussy bugger me?

I had great hopes for this bike, full dealer stamps, major services on the miles or time intervals, receipts to prove what had been fitted, labour etc, etc.

The bike is an 2004 S4R

What I found was:
  • Belts changed (I know this as I had it done before I picked the bike up and I have checked the manufacturing date)
  • Air filter stamped 04
  • Fuel filter stamped 03
  • Oil filter stamped 12, and I think this is something they'd do as you can see the clean oil in the window
  • Spark plugs just marked "Ducati" so I assume them are factory original and looking at the front one I'd say it was!
Ok I'm a little miffed but hey I'm not the one paying a Ducati main dealer £50 to £60 an hour to do the work and I'm not the one who was charged for items that were never fitted. If I was the old owner I'd be loosing the plot.

So a word of warning, if you have a Duke that is main dealer service, just check the simple items that you can get to with little fuss (air filter, plugs, belts) and ask to see the old parts.

That said the bikes now running correctly and I have a multiple Ducati owning mate checking the shims next weekend just to make sure.